1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best resource for original restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Sherbo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best resource for original restoration

What are some of the most common resources that people use when restoring trucks to their original state? I want to try to do everything I touch correctly, and I am having a hell of a time trying to find information on this or pictures that I am 100% positive are original.

For example, the window access panel screws... I am missing some and it is rattling bad... were they black, chrome, or painted to match the interior paint? What is the correct black for the running boards and bumper? Were the rims painted to match the body? I could list these questions forever... but I'm hoping that there are a few good resources that may make me bug you all a bit less. I know my truck will never be perfect, but I'd like to get as close as possible... and while I'm buying parts want to make sure I am buying the correct stuff.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but nothing was coming up in my searches

Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Well,you are going to get more of that info here than from any other place.You'll have to list your questions,wade through all the arguments, I mean "discussions.Might take a while to reach a consensus,and get all your questions answered - but you'll get there.Eventually.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
There are several of us here that have your same objective. But I've not found a book or on-line photo site that shows what is exactly "correct". I came to Ford trucks from the Austin Healey Club and have had to make a mental adjustment to just how much variability there appears to have been in our trucks from manufacturing plant to plant. This was not the case with Healeys, or at least not in their concourse rules.

Unfortunately many of the more popular books on Ford truck restoration have more mistakes than correct answers. I mean simple things that nobody here would quarrel with. A good resource, though, is the Early Ford V8 Club's truck tech advisor, James Wagner. In every issue of their club magazine he answers member questions. So by joining the EFV8 Club you could write to him and get answers to your questions. The EFV8 Club also has a web site, photo archive, and forum. But it's forum is not too active. Here's the link - Early Ford V-8 Club.

Last, to demonstrate the point about variability, I've been to an EFV8 Club national meet, looking for info like you are, and walked around looking at the 51/52 trucks that had gotten the club's Dearborn Award. I couldn't believe the amount of difference I found between trucks. That never would have happened with Healeys. Stu

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
As Stu mentioned the aftermarket publications resources are fairly unreliable. The only place you will find what you are looking for is within a set of the manufacturers drawings - which you will never get - and still they were subject to frequent changes and revisions.

The next best source is the manufacturers own support and maintenance publications: Shop Manual; Chassis Parts Catalogs; Operators Manuals; Salesmans Handbooks, etc. To collect these will cost you HUNDREDS of dollars (the Salesmans Handbooks alone are going for about $150-$200 - if you can find one)

But even there, Ford not only was very poor in the production of it's publications - especially in documenting parts, but was also very unreliable in actually making the trucks to the specifications - we have seen MANY exceptions to "the rules." Things like screws and hardware were called out in the books, but varied because they may or may not have been manufactured by Ford or local outside venders - and Henry Ford never acknowledged his vendors. We aren't even going to talk about the trucks built in Canada or that set of "rules!"

I don't think I would be exaggerating if I were to say that your best source for finding a spec (short of buying all the books yourself and looking them up) or proper part, is right here.

I can't think of any source - even Ford itself - that has the collective and historical knowledge or documentation resources that FTE has via it's membership. One example: "Number Dummy" Bill.

So, if you need something that you truly can't find, be sure to ask us. BUT, be sure when you ask, to tell the guys providing the answers, to quote the source they got the answer from. Anything short of a Ford Pub is suspect (and the Ford Pubs half suspect!)

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
There are several of us here that have your same objective. But I've not found a book or on-line photo site that shows what is exactly "correct". I came to Ford trucks from the Austin Healey Club and have had to make a mental adjustment to just how much variability there appears to have been in our trucks from manufacturing plant to plant. This was not the case with Healeys, or at least not in their concourse rules.
Stu
I'm having to make the same adjustment. I like to keep things as original as possible. My first "restoration" was a '31 Model "A" Sedan. I didn't try to build a show car but it was very helpful to have the restoration guidelines published by the national Model "A" clubs as a guide. When I started working on the F-1 I looked around for a similar resource but didn't find anything. This forum has been the best source of information. Even though a lot of guys here are modifying their trucks, they're still quite knowledgeable about the way the trucks were originally set up and are very generous in sharing that information.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What shape are your radiator saddle bolts in? j/k, inside joke

There are lots of interesting little variances we find in the course of fixing these old rigs, it makes it all the more fun. I agree with the above, in many cases there's no right or wrong.

PS -- Stu, I forgot you were a Big Healey guy, quite a stretch from MoWoG to FoMoCo...

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
PS -- Stu, I forgot you were a Big Healey guy, quite a stretch from MoWoG to FoMoCo...
Yeah, a lot of years ago. Also a real nice Mk 1 Cooper S, Mini panel van, and Bugeye. All but the Buyeye are gone, and somebody other than me has made money on the rest. Had a lot of fun with them, but as I've gotten older the trucks have more appeal. Stu

Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
It appears Stu has skipped over the whole Corvette phase, lol.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by havi
It appears Stu has skipped over the whole Corvette phase, lol.
That's a real sickness that I'm glad I avoided. One of my breakfast buddies horse trades them and parts. Their casting markings, date codes, etc. make us look normal. Stu

Edit- Back to Sherbo's original question, I've got a 1954 Dealer/Salesman Handbook that would probably give the same info as a 1953 handbook in most instances. So if I can help look something up I'll be happy to. Another thing I just thought of. You haven't said I don't think whether your truck is a V8 or 215 c.i. six cyl. If it's a six, our member Kevin Kessler has a real nice web site where he's detailed his restoration. Here's his link. Stu

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kkessler/w...0_research.htm

Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
look on ebay for a Ford Clues magazine. It is a small magazine Ford mailed to their ford truck buyers. Find one that has lots of color pics in it. Also go to Mid Fifty and buy a 1953 Ford Truck Features and Specifications Manual. It is a compilation of several Ford publications and can give you a good look. ALso look to buy a color dealer brochure.

It takes some research but you can find what is right and what is not. Learn who and what to trust. People's memory can fade. Find pics of a real stock truck, unmolested. I see them on ebay once in a while...

good luck... and of course ask us for specific questions!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Sherbo
Junior User
Definitely getting the answers I need on this forum, so thank you all! I just feel bad posting questions all the time, so was hoping there was another place to answer some of my "simpler" questions. I'm also not a mechanic by any means, and am learning as I go. Luckily my father has always been a car guy, so he is a help... but he doesn't know F100s. The point of this rambling is just to say that I just don't want to ask too many questions... cause once the winter comes and I have a garage to put my truck in I can see myself having a lot of questions.

Its a V8 - but here's the kicker... it has the 54 239 y-block V8 (ZBU). I was told it was bought late in 53 and the buyer requested that the y-block be swapped in. If so, must've been at the dealership since the VIN says flatty. Once I get the truck in better order and get some money together I'll probably pick up a 53 flatty. Although, if I can figure out whether my truck was actually bought with the Y then I may keep it as is (since that'd be original for my specific truck). I'm trying to get info on how best to track that info down through the y-block forum (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9489241) If anyone knows where the datestamp is on the 54 y-block please do share!

Whatever the result, all of this is more for me to know I restored the truck as close to its original condition as possible.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask questions. You may not get an answer right away, but you will eventually. It took me several years to really learn the 48-52 model years, especially 51-52, but I'm still learning something new everyday just by being here.

Also, keep in mind that mostly all Ford plants varied in their production. Most used parts available on hand until they were depleted. So, it's not too uncommon to find variations in the same year trucks that were produced in two different plants. That's why, in my opinion, there isn't a 100% correct restored truck.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherbo
Definitely getting the answers I need on this forum, so thank you all! I just feel bad posting questions all the time, so was hoping there was another place to answer some of my "simpler" questions. I'm also not a mechanic by any means, and am learning as I go. Luckily my father has always been a car guy, so he is a help... but he doesn't know F100s. The point of this rambling is just to say that I just don't want to ask too many questions... cause once the winter comes and I have a garage to put my truck in I can see myself having a lot of questions.

Its a V8 - but here's the kicker... it has the 54 239 y-block V8 (ZBU). I was told it was bought late in 53 and the buyer requested that the y-block be swapped in. If so, must've been at the dealership since the VIN says flatty. Ah, so you have already experienced "the exceptions to the rules" we've been was talking about, LOL.
If you are worried about asking to many questions, just do a little math. See that number next to "posts:" by your name?

Now go to each persons input and add up the number of posts from the 6 or 7 folks who have chatted with you so far. I don't think you are going to ask too many questions, and even if you do ask alot, this group loves to YACK! Most of us save alot of the discussions and your question may be as easy as pasting in a link.

If you want to learn ALOT about your truck in very short order, spend 30 minutes a day here reading and asking those questions!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Sherbo
Junior User
I spend pretty much every lunch break at work (and other time at work) reading the posts. Definitely learning a lot fast. Thanks all

Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
F-6Larry
New User
Hi guys, I was calling my F-6 a '48 because my father did and the original owner did. But a friend who bought half a dozen or so direct from the dealers said a '48 had a chrome grill so I don't have a '48. I was only 9 yrs old and I remember a chrome grill but that's all. Thanks, F-6Larry. I haven't checked #s yet.

Quick Reply: Best resource for original restoration