6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hey Cheezit, How Far Do You Let Them Go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
suds
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Cheezit, How Far Do You Let Them Go?

Back again. Chose to send my 2005 E350 to a mechanic instead of doing it myself. Had hard or no start after hot. Found the HPOP leaking thru the hole above the shaft, at the seal on the shaft, the tube at the block, added air to the crossover tube if you will(the one that feeds the injectors I presume) and had leaks on the passenger side. So I told him to replace the HPOP and the tubes on the right side. He would like to replace the IPR valve, EGR cooler and the two air supply hoses also. Said it would be nice to also replace the oil cooler also since he is that far into it. He said he could test the EGR cooler. He said the hoses get saturated with oil. There is only 65,000 miles on it. Now I know what they mean by POWER STROKE! Is it necessary to replace all the other items?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suds
Back again. Chose to send my 2005 E350 to a mechanic instead of doing it myself. Had hard or no start after hot. Found the HPOP leaking thru the hole above the shaft, at the seal on the shaft, the tube at the block, added air to the crossover tube if you will(the one that feeds the injectors I presume) and had leaks on the passenger side. So I told him to replace the HPOP and the tubes on the right side. He would like to replace the IPR valve, EGR cooler and the two air supply hoses also. Said it would be nice to also replace the oil cooler also since he is that far into it. He said he could test the EGR cooler. He said the hoses get saturated with oil. There is only 65,000 miles on it. Now I know what they mean by POWER STROKE! Is it necessary to replace all the other items?
Damn, sounds like he's throwing everything he can at you. EGR cooler hoses, correct me if I'm wrong but the only hose is the orange (replace anyway)/blue silicon hose which wouldn't ever get saturated with anything, much less oil... Whats you bill going to look like?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Damn, sounds like he's throwing everything he can at you. EGR cooler hoses, correct me if I'm wrong but the only hose is the orange (replace anyway)/blue silicon hose which wouldn't ever get saturated with anything, much less oil... Whats you bill going to look like?
I think he's talking about the CAC/turbo hoses which I wouldn't replace unless they were split. They always ooze oil, which is completely normal. Replacing the EGR cooler is usually only necessary if the oil cooler has failed/plugged. Does he have documented ECT/EOT differences great enough to warrant replacing the oil cooler??? Is the EGR cooler leaking??? Sounds like he's spending a lot of money for nothing to me.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM
suds
Junior User
To do the HPOP(new), the two tubes on the passenger side, the orange hose to the EGR cooler, new IPR, 3 new command hoses, gaskets and seals to put back together, $4000

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

To do the HPOP(new), the two tubes on the passenger side, the orange hose to the EGR cooler, new IPR, 3 new command hoses, gaskets and seals to put back together, $4000
The EGR cooler hose is now BLUE. The orange one is outdated and leaks and probably not available. What are command hoses?????? That's a new one on me.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
suds
Junior User
The blue hose on the intake and there is a black one, bothe about 3" diameter, about 12" long.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I think he's talking about the CAC/turbo hoses which I wouldn't replace unless they were split. They always ooze oil, which is completely normal. Replacing the EGR cooler is usually only necessary if the oil cooler has failed/plugged. Does he have documented ECT/EOT differences great enough to warrant replacing the oil cooler??? Is the EGR cooler leaking??? Sounds like he's spending a lot of money for nothing to me.
I've had mine replaced twice under warranty for oozing. If oil can come out so can boost. Am I and Ford wrong? They paid the bill.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
suds
Junior User
I'm just gonna whine here, but with this many 6 liters going south, how come there is not a recall? Seems like an awful lot of HPOPs and o rings turning up bad. Hmmmm.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
if the cac tubes are blowing oil imo replace them.
so far as the rest goes it hard to awnser with out the van in front of me.
being you have an orange hose on the egr cooler I know they are very prone to leaking and no fun to change on a van.
but it does sould like a bad case of the shop is been kinda slow.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM
suds
Junior User
Is $4000 about right? I'll get over the time. He's gonna have about 2 days labor +/-. I thought I read somewhere that a new IPR screen came with the HPOP. My screen was gone. Hope it doesn't show up in a bad way.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
yes the price is right, vans cost about 2x as much as a truck body to work on.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 69cj
I've had mine replaced twice under warranty for oozing. If oil can come out so can boost. Am I and Ford wrong? They paid the bill.
I guess it depends on the tech/SM/district rep. I tried to get mine replaced for years and gave up. I was ALWAYS told it was completely normal, but I do agree with you Mike. I know my new one has never oozed oil like I've seen on a LOT of the older trucks.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
suds
Junior User
I want to thank you guys for all the input. Bismic, thanks for all the info on the 6.0. This is a great site.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Okay, WHY are we replacing the high pressure oil pump instead of just the STC fitting alone? THAT right there is a HUGE chunk of the bill in parts. The IPR valve I can understand, if the screen is blown out. As far as the EGR and oil coolers are concerned, I wouldn't even have touched them unless there was an existing failure like previously posted. The standpipes and dummy plugs are updated so I can understand and even justify replacement of those parts to correct your high pressure oil system leak issue.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
suds
Junior User
The pump was leaking at the shaft seal and oil (air for the test) was coming out of a hole that is directly centered over that shaft, as well as the stc fitting. He was going to vacuum test the EGR cooler. He just figured since he was that far into it on a van, maybe it would be a good idea to change out the oil cooler and EGR cooler. But I said no unless he could show me a problem with them.

Quick Reply: Hey Cheezit, How Far Do You Let Them Go?