Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 AM
woodrow639
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling Kit Question

I've been really happy with the stance of my truck for a long time, but I'm seriously contemplating putting a leveling kit on it. It's a 93 F-250 4x4 and right now with no lift I'm running 33x12.50 tires. I'm not really wanting to go any bigger, I just think the leveling kit would give it a better look.

My question is this: I'm looking at the Rough Country add-a-leaf that claims to add 2". Has anybody used this kit and what kind of results did you have? I did a quick search and only saw posts from guys with F-150s and I can't find a lot of information anywhere else. Any comments are welcome and appreciated. I'll throw up a picture of my truck now to see what you guys think.

It's not a level shot, but you should be able to get the idea. Stock rake, about 2-2.25" lower in the front than in the back.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
That stance is perfect. I'd leave it the way it is. I do not care for leveling kits. As soon as you put any weight in the bed it will be nose happy. I have had leveling springs on mine before and did not much care for it.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The "leveling kit" will make it ride like crap

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Post a picture of your front leaf springs, if you don't mind. I want to see the arch on them so that I can compare them to mine.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
woodrow639
Junior User
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
Post a picture of your front leaf springs, if you don't mind. I want to see the arch on them so that I can compare them to mine.
I'll try to get a decent picture today if the weather here clears up. I feel like the nose has dropped a little since this picture was taken (about 2 years ago).

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
It makes sense that it would negatively impact the ride quality since it's adding an extra leaf to the spring pack. I guess my main concern at this point is whether or not this is a "safe" and reasonable way to level my truck.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by woodrow639
I'll try to get a decent picture today if the weather here clears up. I feel like the nose has dropped a little since this picture was taken (about 2 years ago).
I would appreciate that, also, take a picture of the stance as it sits now, while you're at it, if you don't mind.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner

It makes sense that it would negatively impact the ride quality since it's adding an extra leaf to the spring pack. I guess my main concern at this point is whether or not this is a "safe" and reasonable way to level my truck.
Yes. it is safe and will give you 1.5-2" of lift. But it will ride rougher

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I've been looking into a reverse shackle kit for mine as well which is reported to give us that 2" or so of lift and actually increase the ride quality due to moving the shackle to the opposite end of the leaf spring. I'm not completely positive if or how it works on the 250's, but it's a popular mod on the solid axle 350's and there are 2 companies out there that fabricate pretty nice kits that seem to be pretty reasonable. I like the level look, but at the same time, when I see lifted or leveled trucks driving down the road with a load on or in them, it looks even more goofy when the rear end is lower than the front. I'm torn as well, because I sort of like the "heavy duty" look of a little space in the fender wells and want to put 285's (33") on next time around.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 PM
woodrow639
Junior User
Originally Posted by IcutMetl
I've been looking into a reverse shackle kit for mine as well which is reported to give us that 2" or so of lift and actually increase the ride quality due to moving the shackle to the opposite end of the leaf spring. I'm not completely positive if or how it works on the 250's, but it's a popular mod on the solid axle 350's and there are 2 companies out there that fabricate pretty nice kits that seem to be pretty reasonable. I like the level look, but at the same time, when I see lifted or leveled trucks driving down the road with a load on or in them, it looks even more goofy when the rear end is lower than the front. I'm torn as well, because I sort of like the "heavy duty" look of a little space in the fender wells and want to put 285's (33") on next time around.
I've read a little about the reverse shackle kits for the 350s as well, but I didn't know it was applicable for the TTB. I'm with you on the squatting back end with a load. For the most part, my truck is retired from pulling heavy loads these days....except for the occasional two or three four wheelers on a 10' trailer. I guess if it bothered me that much I would just buy some helper bags for the rear.

Buck: sorry I didn't get a chance to take those pictures. Worked until after midnight tonight. I'll try to get them up tomorrow. I was looking at the truck earlier and maybe I'm crazy about it settling in the front. Guess I'll have to see what the general consensus is.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:02 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Buck: sorry I didn't get a chance to take those pictures. Worked until after midnight tonight. I'll try to get them up tomorrow. I was looking at the truck earlier and maybe I'm crazy about it settling in the front. Guess I'll have to see what the general consensus is.
Hey, no problem man. I've got the same worries about my front end. Take the pictures when you get time. I'm certainly in no hurry. Work is much more important.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I agree with that. Mine did. Also my buddy has a similar extended cab F250 and he said the same thing about the leveling kit.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by IcutMetl

Cant use a RSK for a F250. There is no provisions to drop the center of the axles. But they work quite well in a F350. I have done mutiple ones

Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM
woodrow639
Junior User
Took a couple quick shots with my phone this afternoon. You'll have to excuse the dirt...

Passenger side front springs

Driver side front springs

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I wouldn't change the truck. I think it sits nice. I don't think its sagging in the front. If your worried it might be sagging some, then just get new springs.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Your springs look just like mine. Thanks for the pics.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Question