Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

steering gear box, rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
82airborne82
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering gear box, rebuild or replace?

ok Ive traced my steering problems to my gear box heres whats happening there is too much play in the steering and when I grab the steering shaft I can turn it easily and the tires move real easy back and forth too so I am thinking it is a seal or something in the gear box. the truck is a 77 f250 4x4 does can anyone tell me if rebuilding this thing (or trying to) is worth it or should I just shell out the few hundred bucks and buy a remanufactured one? also here is another strange thing, the steering wheel rotates like 2 1/2 to 3 turns for left and only like 1 1/4 for right??? what is that all about? the tires arent rubbing against anything its just the steering it wont let me turn right its a real pain in the *** trying to park this thing any help is greatly appreciated thanks have a great day
<!-- / message -->

Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Is the truck a High Boy or a Low Boy ? '77 could be either depending on when in '77 it was built. With the steering, sounds like your drag link is too short. Was the truck lifted ?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
82airborne82
Senior User
sorry forgot to mention that the truck is not a highboy and it is lifted 6" with 40" tires

Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoever set up the lift kit did not center the gearbox after the lift. When it was lifted the drag link would need to be lengthened. The easiest way to do that is to remove the drag link (the one connected to the gear). Center the gearbox (lock to lock), then straighten the front wheels to point forward (use a tape measure front to rear), then unscrew the drag end until it will mate up the the box. It will take a little time, and you may have to make a few adjustments to get it right, then take it in for an alignment. Make sure that when you are finished and tightening down the link, that the ball stud is centered in the box and the opposite end. I do not know your exact setup, but if it is not centered, it will bind. Once set, you should be able to grab the drag link and move it in a twisting motion and fell it bump stop on both ends at the same time. After doing this, then check your tie rods and make sure they are centered with the link. They may need a little twist too. Most alingment shops will not do this as they are in a hurry for the big buck. Also, if you have a solid front axle, make sure they shim the axle tubbe and not try to get a complete alignment with the upper adjustment sleeves. Any shop that just uses sleeves are not doing the job right.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pmasley
Whoever set up the lift kit did not center the gearbox after the lift. When it was lifted the drag link would need to be lengthened. The easiest way to do that is to remove the drag link (the one connected to the gear). Center the gearbox (lock to lock), then straighten the front wheels to point forward (use a tape measure front to rear), then unscrew the drag end until it will mate up the the box. It will take a little time, and you may have to make a few adjustments to get it right, then take it in for an alignment. Make sure that when you are finished and tightening down the link, that the ball stud is centered in the box and the opposite end. I do not know your exact setup, but if it is not centered, it will bind. Once set, you should be able to grab the drag link and move it in a twisting motion and fell it bump stop on both ends at the same time. After doing this, then check your tie rods and make sure they are centered with the link. They may need a little twist too. Most alingment shops will not do this as they are in a hurry for the big buck. Also, if you have a solid front axle, make sure they shim the axle tubbe and not try to get a complete alignment with the upper adjustment sleeves. Any shop that just uses sleeves are not doing the job right.
I know this is kind of an old post but what do you mean by not just use an alignment sleeve? I have a '96 4x4, stock height and when I went for the alignment after doing ball joints i believe all they did was throw in camber bushings. Where else do you align from? I am assuming the 96 i-beam front may be a little different that the 70's model but I thought i'd at least ask!

thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Blue-Top
New User
I remanufacture steering gears for a living and I'd be happy to help you. Look up Home - Blue-Top Steering Gears Inc. remanufactured for $160 24hr turn-around. 1 year warranty.