1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

for those who have modded there instrument cluster/ a front abs issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Biggg72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those who have modded there instrument cluster/ a front abs issue

im going to replace my bulbs with leds, but i read somewhere there is colored film under the black cover in the cluster, is this so? if it is what is an easy way to get the green screen from behind the numbers?

if it is are there small individual screens for each bulb with a different color as there is like 23 bulbs?

i also went to the junkyard and looked at a cluster there to get the count of bulbs rather than pull mine out, and i saw all 74 bulbs, well 78 but a 74 led can be used, and one other i didnt recognize. i was under the impression there were supposed to be 5 194 bulbs back there am i wrong?

can someone direct me to better instructions of how to take off the abs sensor off the front, i didnt really find anything in search and my books suck?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggg72
can someone direct me to better instructions of how to take off the abs sensor off the front,
It's quite basic...disconnect the plug at the sensor, remove the one bolt holding the sensor in, and then pull it straight out.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biggg72
im going to replace my bulbs with leds, but i read somewhere there is colored film under the black cover in the cluster, is this so? if it is what is an easy way to get the green screen from behind the numbers?

if it is are there small individual screens for each bulb with a different color as there is like 23 bulbs?

i also went to the junkyard and looked at a cluster there to get the count of bulbs rather than pull mine out, and i saw all 74 bulbs, well 78 but a 74 led can be used, and one other i didnt recognize. i was under the impression there were supposed to be 5 194 bulbs back there am i wrong?
You will need to remove the entire cluster from the truck and clear some bench space and read the following articles:

How To Install An Aftermarket Gauge Faces In Your F-150

Ford F150 - instrument panel bulbs burnt out, need help !! - Ford F150 .net

http://www.f150online.com/forums/199...ml#post3841298

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...r-97-03-a.html

You will find all the information about swapping to LEDs. The only issue you will face is "hotspots" because the LEDs are much brighter than the stock bulbs there will be dark areas between the bulbs. The the "green screen" you are referring to is not green. It's actually blue. When you place regular bulbs that have a yellow tint with a blue screen we get the green layout of the stock dash. The LEDs you want will be blue in color to ensure the color tint stays true.