Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
SWDoodle SWDoodle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
SWDoodle is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.2 vs. 6.8 opinions yet?

I know this engine hasn't been out long, but was wondering if anyone here had switched from a 6.8 (preferable newer one) to the new 6.2 and has any gut impressions. Reason I ask is that I'm still thinking about a new 6.2 but have come across some 2010 King Ranchs' with the 6.8 and low miles in my area. I really like the fact the 6.2 are Flex Fuel because I have access to it and it sounds like mileage "could" be slightly better than the V10. Just want some feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Ricohman's Avatar
Ricohman Ricohman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 880
Ricohman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just bought a new 2010 6.8. I drove a few 6.2's but all had 3.73's. My buddy ended up buying a 6.2 and I bought the 6.8 as I had a 6.8 previously.
My buddys gets 1 mpg better then me consistently. I have yet to tow anyhting with my truck so I can't compare that.
The 6.8 feels like it has more go from a standstill and when cruising. To tell you the truth I couldn't feel any difference in the transmissions even though the 6.2 has a completely different trans. The interiors are pretty much the same for comfort but my F350 is a bit stiffer than my buddys 6.2 F250.
The extra torque of the 6.8 is obvious and since it comes standard with 4.10's it is noticable. But if you want a flex fuel motor the 6.2 is your only choice. These trucks are so close in performance that the best deal may be the best truck.
Don't buy a 6.2 thinking you are going to get 20mpg though. These truck are heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
SWDoodle SWDoodle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
SWDoodle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricohman View Post
I just bought a new 2010 6.8. I drove a few 6.2's but all had 3.73's. My buddy ended up buying a 6.2 and I bought the 6.8 as I had a 6.8 previously.
My buddys gets 1 mpg better then me consistently. I have yet to tow anyhting with my truck so I can't compare that.
The 6.8 feels like it has more go from a standstill and when cruising. To tell you the truth I couldn't feel any difference in the transmissions even though the 6.2 has a completely different trans. The interiors are pretty much the same for comfort but my F350 is a bit stiffer than my buddys 6.2 F250.
The extra torque of the 6.8 is obvious and since it comes standard with 4.10's it is noticable. But if you want a flex fuel motor the 6.2 is your only choice. These trucks are so close in performance that the best deal may be the best truck.
Don't buy a 6.2 thinking you are going to get 20mpg though. These truck are heavy.

No I'm not buying thinking about mileage. I know it will be lousey, but anything is an HD is pretty crappy know days. Thanks a lot for the reply. It's real world information that I'm after. One would have to assume that the 6.8 will have more "pull" than the 6.2 since it is rated at more torque and is a bigger motor. I'll keep digging for info but this is great.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
devongarver devongarver is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 249
devongarver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDoodle View Post
No I'm not buying thinking about mileage. I know it will be lousey, but anything is an HD is pretty crappy know days. Thanks a lot for the reply. It's real world information that I'm after. One would have to assume that the 6.8 will have more "pull" than the 6.2 since it is rated at more torque and is a bigger motor. I'll keep digging for info but this is great.
Most of the guys I have talked to that own a 6.8 don't do better than 10mpg unloaded. 6-7 when towing. I get at the worst, 14 unloaded, and 10 towing. If I drive like a normal person, I get 16 unloaded. This thing gets quite a noticeable amount better fuel mileage than the V10 does. As for power...it certainly isn't lacking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Front Runner's Avatar
Front Runner Front Runner is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 669
Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
I second that. HP and torque are very close on the V10 & 6.2. I owned a 2003 V10 with 3.73's and the 6.2 seems to have more power overall, but I think my V10 was the 2valve.

MPG's arent even close. The best I could get in the city with my old V10 was 9-10 city & 11-12 on the highway unloaded. Loaded mileage was 7-8.

6.2 mileage is 13-14 city & 15-16 highway empty and 9-11 towing depending on what I'm towing and how heavy my foot is.
__________________

2002 Excursion Limited, 4x4, V10, 4.88 gears, 6" PC lift , 20" XD Hoss wheels, 35" Pro Comp tires
2013 VW GTI 2.0L TSI, 6 speed Manual
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Byram's Avatar
Byram Byram is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 1,126
Byram has a good reputation on FTE.Byram has a good reputation on FTE.
I got out of a 2001 v-10 (early) - honestly it was a dog compared to the 6.2 .. I think the tranny was a problem... also the 6.2 would pull circles around the v-10 but I had like 165k on the v-10 hopefully the 6.2 will still be impressing me at 165K..
On mileage - I know that I am filling up less than the v-10 in my standard driving habits on the highway... xcept the little low fuel indicator comes on when I have 5 gallons left and at 13± that is 65 miles - normally I fill up before - but I have been testing lately..
__________________
2013 F-350SC Lariat
6.7; 3.55 EL; 4x4; B&W Turnover; Ranch Hand; BFG M/T 285's; Oasis XD 4000 OBA

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Ricohman's Avatar
Ricohman Ricohman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 880
Ricohman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devongarver View Post
Most of the guys I have talked to that own a 6.8 don't do better than 10mpg unloaded. 6-7 when towing. I get at the worst, 14 unloaded, and 10 towing. If I drive like a normal person, I get 16 unloaded. This thing gets quite a noticeable amount better fuel mileage than the V10 does. As for power...it certainly isn't lacking.
My last tank on my 2010 6.8 F350 was about 15.4 city highway combined. My 99' 2 valve would get 10-11mpg towing my 9200lb car hauler and would get 14 unloaded highway.
I know my new truck with 4.10's will get 15 empty on the highway unless I'm fighting some headwind.
Maybe the V10's you owned needed some work?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM
devongarver devongarver is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 249
devongarver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricohman View Post
My last tank on my 2010 6.8 F350 was about 15.4 city highway combined. My 99' 2 valve would get 10-11mpg towing my 9200lb car hauler and would get 14 unloaded highway.
I know my new truck with 4.10's will get 15 empty on the highway unless I'm fighting some headwind.
Maybe the V10's you owned needed some work?
I dunno, I have not heard numbers that good from anyone I have talked to yet with a V10. New or old. I haven't owned any V10's myself, these are all just friends or acquaintances. Crud, if I new that kind of mileage was possible I would have looked harder at getting a deal on a 2010 with the v10...hmmm...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM
2000silverbullet's Avatar
2000silverbullet 2000silverbullet is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,314
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
The best I ever got on my 2000 V10 was about 13-14mpg. I lifted it and put 37's on it and it dropped to about 8mpg (which I expected, didn't buy it for the mpg).

I miss my V10 something fierce (original owner, sold a couple months ago) but am anxious to get into the new rig. In the meantime, I'm driving a ticking timebomb, an '05 Explorer. I'm tempted to throw a cinder block on the gas pedal and let it go off a cliff. Epic fail of a vehicle but it's my only choice for the time being...
__________________

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Byram's Avatar
Byram Byram is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 1,126
Byram has a good reputation on FTE.Byram has a good reputation on FTE.
Yea - I hear you - I sold my '01 to a friend & his kid couldn't wait until I got my new ride so I drove my office 1998 Explorer --- I have always hated those things - This one was my dad's & I bought it in about 2003 for 5k to use to haul mail & other errands.. but otherwise I wouldn't own it...

But it is a real POS.... needs to have same cinderblock treatment as yours...
__________________
2013 F-350SC Lariat
6.7; 3.55 EL; 4x4; B&W Turnover; Ranch Hand; BFG M/T 285's; Oasis XD 4000 OBA

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM
SWDoodle SWDoodle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
SWDoodle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devongarver View Post
I dunno, I have not heard numbers that good from anyone I have talked to yet with a V10. New or old. I haven't owned any V10's myself, these are all just friends or acquaintances. Crud, if I new that kind of mileage was possible I would have looked harder at getting a deal on a 2010 with the v10...hmmm...

Yeah most people I know call it a V10 because it gets 10 mpg. We had two 1999 V10's when they first cam out. One with an auto the other a manual. The one with the auto got 5-7 whether going down the highway or hauling a trailer and had no power. I think there was something wrong with that one from the start. It was a fence building pickup most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Ricohman's Avatar
Ricohman Ricohman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 880
Ricohman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devongarver View Post
I dunno, I have not heard numbers that good from anyone I have talked to yet with a V10. New or old. I haven't owned any V10's myself, these are all just friends or acquaintances. Crud, if I new that kind of mileage was possible I would have looked harder at getting a deal on a 2010 with the v10...hmmm...
This is Imperial gallons, I guess I should have mentioned I live in Canada eh?
It will be a bit less in U.S gallons. My buddy likes the new 6.2 and so do I. I'm just offering my opinion as I've driven both. The 6.8 is a proven motor and I'm sure the 6.2 will be in time. The 6.2 will get better economy and I think thats the reason the V10 is only offered in the big vans and F450 and up now.
This would have been the last time I could of bought a 6.8 in a F350 so thats one of the reasons I bought it. And since they wanted to get rid of it it was a great deal. And use 6.8's are very hard to find here if you want one that hasn't been beat to death or used as a utility truck and has 400 000 kms.
I am curious to what kind of economy the 6.2 would get pulling my car hauler so I get to try it out next spring when he gets his transmission shifting sorted.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 AM
mar66tin mar66tin is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
mar66tin is starting off with a positive reputation.
my oncle have 2008 king ranch v10, he just go to florida 2 week ago, 1700 mile from home, he got 7.4 mpg average for ride with 42 feet fifthwheel with 4 slide-out, 24000pound total gross weight, not sure if it's good, but with my semi truck (inter 9400 2003 with ISX 385 cumming) i do avg of 8 to 9 mpg at 75000lbs gross weight. just the truck weight are 21000lbs, and when i'm un-hook to trailer it's do 10-11mpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Evan92 Evan92 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 132
Evan92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar66tin View Post
my oncle have 2008 king ranch v10, he just go to florida 2 week ago, 1700 mile from home, he got 7.4 mpg average for ride with 42 feet fifthwheel with 4 slide-out, 24000pound total gross weight, not sure if it's good, but with my semi truck (inter 9400 2003 with ISX 385 cumming) i do avg of 8 to 9 mpg at 75000lbs gross weight. just the truck weight are 21000lbs, and when i'm un-hook to trailer it's do 10-11mpg
LOL are you really comparing your semi to a pickup?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD 640 CI Aluminum FORD is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,043
640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.
Personally I have not got to drive a 6.2L truck yet. Though I plan to soon. From what I have heard the 6.2L is definitely faster than the old 6.8L, But its down about 50 or so lb/ft of torque when compared to the V-10, I have heard a few complaints that at time's it struggles with trailers that the V-10 once pulled like it was nothing. Its all just hearsay, as I said I personally have not got to drive the new 6.2L yet. But having driven both the old 2v and 3v V-10 powered Trucks I will say that the 2v was Ok but felt a little taxed by the trucks weight. However the 3v V-10 seemed to wake up quite a bit over the old 2v.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My V10 met an untimely end how does the 6.2 compare? boatflounder 6.2L V8 23 01-28-2014 12:58 AM
Any changes to the 2014 SD or 6.2? Delawhere? 6.2L V8 3 08-15-2013 03:28 PM
Swapping Sides - 6.2 to 6.7 Byram 6.2L V8 13 04-30-2013 12:10 AM
2011 6.2 V8 in Excursion 9mpg Excursion - King of SUVs 0 12-20-2010 02:56 PM
6.8 vs. 6.2 ? pkenn7 Modular V10 (6.8l) 1 01-07-2010 01:21 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2011, 62, 62l, bhas, f250, ford, fuel, gas, hard, indicator, low, pedal, press, pulled, v10, vs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup