Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 AM
New User

ducktang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Auxillary Transmission Cooler

I have searched the threads and need a couple of questions answered:
It looks like the aux cooler needs to be in line after it comes out of the radiator. I also read that if you mount it to the a/c condenser with those zip ties, it heats up the fluid more than it is cooled. If you don't mount it to the condenser, you won't get much help when idling or moving slow, pulling air over the cooler with the engine fan. So, those of you with them mounted, what works best for you? I'd like to mount one close enough to the condenser to let the engine fan help. Should I mount it directly next to it or stand it off with some spacers maybe an inch or so? Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
The factory cooler on my 94 F250 is mounted on a vertical strut at the front of the engine bay. It is in front of all the coolers and is about 4 inches ahead of them. It gets air from road speed or air pulled thru the grille by the fan

All the aftermarket coolers I have installed(3 or 4) were mounted in front of all the other coolers and usually had some sort of spacer/cushion to allow maybe an inch at best of air gap between the tranny cooler and all the rest.

Hope that helps some.

Jim Henderson
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
New User

What would you use for a spacer? Small wood blocks?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Posting Guru

rclarke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Any non-heat conducting material will work. I used to pull the grill on some models and mount the cooler on the back of the grill with fabricated brackets. Makes several inches of clearance.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Postmaster

stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktang View Post
What would you use for a spacer? Small wood blocks?
No.
Wood or any hard material will result in either the rad or cooler having a hole rubbed through.

Use a softer material.

Or tie it off with some form of strap away from the rad or condensor.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
New User

I am going to try some of the semi-hard black high density foam insulation that you get at the hardware store to wrap your water pipes and see how that works.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktang View Post
I am going to try some of the semi-hard black high density foam insulation that you get at the hardware store to wrap your water pipes and see how that works.
Yeah, that is what came with the kits I have installed. The foam blocks were maybe 1.5x1x1 and had sticky stuff on them to hold them in place while you mounted the cooler with zip ties or some other plastic hold downs.

The foam has to be stiff enough to keep from compressing but soft enough to not damage the fins of the coolers.

I always worried that the foam or plastic ties would wear out due to heat and vibration. BUt, I never had a problem and sold those vehicles with many miles and years on them.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case

Tags
aux, cooler, coolers, engine, fan, ford, plastic, raptor, semi, ties, trans, transmission, truck, trucks