6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Still puking coolant after $10K into the motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still puking coolant after $10K into the motor

Well I am at my boiling point and so is my truck. I have an 05 F-250 6.0L. I started puking coolant about 6 months ago and started with an oil cooler by the dealer. Then it was on to Bud at O.C. Diesel shop for ARP Studs, Onyx gaskets, bullet proof EGR Cooler and new EGR Valve. Then I went back to Bud for a Garrett Turbo upgrade and a Banks intercooler. Then an edge monitor for EGT's and a custom tune by innovative diesel. After all that my truck is still puking coolant. And yes I am aware of the coolant level needing to be lower to avoid over pressurizing the system. Oh and I have replaced the degas bottle and 3 caps just to make sure. I am going to get it back down to Bud at OC Diesel shop on Tuesday but I am just looking for some instant advice. It has been getting worse the last two weeks. Just got back from Vegas and had to pull over several times going up grades to keep the Temps down. It would overheat on every hill even after adding coolant.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
What did they do to the heads, if anything? Were they checked for flatness and decked? Was the block checked for flatness also?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
What did they do to the heads, if anything? Were they checked for flatness and decked? Was the block checked for flatness also?

+1 on what is above. Also torquing of the studs could have been an issue as well. Hell even if they used the right type of lube, I think ARP did change the type of lube, so that could very well have been a factor. I would imagine this as being some type of installation error, unless you have some other issue going on.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If the install was done correctly, bout the only thing left is to do is rotate the pistons.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
I was told the heads were addressed. Not sure what was done to them. Not sure about the block. Like I said I am going to bring it back to Bud tomorrow. I thought it might be the head gaskets. Thanks for the replies. I will repost and let you know what the problem is.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
I see his ad in the back of my Diesel Power mag and have wondered about his work......I guess I now know.

It seems to me that after all the top end was off and the extensive work done to your engine, IT SHOULD NOT do anything but run strong! Granted I have never done studs on my engine or a similiar motor but I can tell you that I have done hundreds of head jobs and motor installs etc. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO A SUCCESSFUL JOB IS PROPER PREP WORK. Without that you might as well not do it.

I hate to hear of guys that pay outrageous amounts of money to a person they trust and the job goes to $h^t.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
There is no need to point fingers yet. I have had nothing but great service from Bud and his guys there. There are very few repairs shops around anymore where you get a handshake from the owner and that is your warranty. I know that however much time, labor or parts it will take to make it right I will not pay a dime out of my pocket. Even as frustrated as I am with this I would still recommend OC Diesel Shop to anyone.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Knuts
I thought it might be the head gaskets.
Not in of themselves no. Black Onyx gaskets are like stock gaskets with more adhesive, so if there is going to be an issue it's going to be with once again the installation. Unless you just happened upon that small chance of getting a bad product, which is possible, no matter how much we don't like it especially on the more expensive items.

Did you actually find out what it means with regard to "the heads were addressed?" What does that actually entail? I never like getting vague answers.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
There are very few repairs shops around anymore where you get a handshake from the owner and that is your warranty.
I in honesty wouldn't accept that as my warranty. I would want it on paper. The horse industry(where I'm still predominately in) used to be more of a "handshake" industry and that still is outdating the industry and dragging it down.

It also doesn't help that my dad did contract law for 35 yrs. You hear to many of the bad things that happen.

For some, the handshake is good enough and it works, but I wouldn't trust it anymore.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
Sorry about the vague answer... I figured someone was going to give me sh%$ for that one. I will get some answers and repost.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
There is a written warranty too... but the handshake just made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I see a Tommy Boy quote coming in the near future. Something about taking a dump in a box and slapping a warranty on it.

Last edited by Knuts; 10-25-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Sorry about the vague answer... I figured someone was going to give me sh%$ for that one. I will get some answers and repost.
I meant no offense with it, but really what does it mean? Was it just a visual inspection or what? If they machined the heads, did they machine too much off or not enough?

There are quite a lot of things that go into a quality stud install and there is some wiggle room(more in relation if you were to have used stock gaskets, less wiggle room with the Black Onyx ones), but not a lot. All those variables have to be in spec in order for this to really work.

I might add that this is coming from someone that had to have a stud install done twice due to poor installation(heads weren't taken care of correctly the first time), so I really tend to put things through the paces on this type of thread.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
There is no need to point fingers yet. I have had nothing but great service from Bud and his guys there. There are very few repairs shops around anymore where you get a handshake from the owner and that is your warranty. I know that however much time, labor or parts it will take to make it right I will not pay a dime out of my pocket. Even as frustrated as I am with this I would still recommend OC Diesel Shop to anyone.

You are correct, in regards to not pointing fingers and I am glad that Bud is such a great guy and his service is outstanding....but you still have to deal with the aggravation of this headache. I will be honest with you.....noone will EVER work on your vehicle as good and as thoroughly as you would. Call me cynical or fastidious, but I do not trust anyone regardless. I have been burned one to many times because I fell prey to the "oh he's a great guy and trustworthy" trap.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
cak301
Senior User
Have you actually flushed the cooling system . So it is also overheating. How about something simple like the water pump.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Knuts
Freshman User
Tex / Joe- I hear you. I am a perfectionist myself and most things I do myself but I dont have the time or the garage space to do something as involved as head studs/gaskets. No offense taken. This is why I love these forums... you get straight shooters who arent afraid to tell you how it is. Thank you. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Still puking coolant after $10K into the motor