1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:27 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by redbayredneck
When I did the axle swap, I reused the original u-bolts because my new ones hadn't been delivered. It was supposed to be temporary until I got the new ones.

I bought the new ones from Bronco graveyard, and they work perfectly.
When I did my swap, my father found a local spring shop up in the city someplace that custom-made them for me... cost was reasonable and it was done in one day.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had to replace Darth's battery yesterday, at least it was still under the pro-rated portion of the warranty. I bought the last one April 9 2012 so it lasted 4 years and a little over 3 months. It apparently had a dead cell, the lady at AutoZone didn't bother to test it when I described the problem, amazing that it could still crank a 460 at roughly 10 volts and get the electronics to work.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Got started on Dad's engine today - in a way. As explained here, I'm farming the assembly and dyno testing out to Tim Meyer. Given that, I'm now painting/powder coating the few things that need to be before it is all sent to Tim.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Brucekoukalaka
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday I swapped out the near dead battery in my '82 only to find the solenoid failed, then again it is the original so not too bad for a 34 year old part... Afterward I hit the key and away she went just like new. Now if the body wasn't so badly beat up I'd be keeping it LOL....

Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bruce - I've said before, these trucks are like onions. We keep peeling and crying. Hope you like onion rings.

As for what I did, which is written up in Dad's Valve Covers, I painted the valve covers:

Old 07-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Onion rings ain't the word for it. That reminds me of when I finally got to my hi-lo switch on the floor. Kept cutting out the lights, found it falling apart, replaced it and after a few cycles thru it, had no lights. Good thing tho' - the P.O. had hacked up the blown fusable link under the hood. Glad I found that.

As for me - today I gave the old beast a real treat: new wipers! Living in the Chihuahua Desert of NM and hardly ever driving this thing gave me no reason to replace the dry rotted blades and rusty holders. Replacing the reservoir unit gave me a reason to do so. Might've been the first time they moved in the 8 years I had it.

So, now I can drive at nite and/or in the rain - neither of which I have a need to do...

Old 07-22-2016, 07:07 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cienega32
Onion rings ain't the word for it. That reminds me of when I finally got to my hi-lo switch on the floor. Kept cutting out the lights, found it falling apart, replaced it and after a few cycles thru it, had no lights. Good thing tho' - the P.O. had hacked up the blown fusable link under the hood. Glad I found that.

As for me - today I gave the old beast a real treat: new wipers! Living in the Chihuahua Desert of NM and hardly ever driving this thing gave me no reason to replace the dry rotted blades and rusty holders. Replacing the reservoir unit gave me a reason to do so. Might've been the first time they moved in the 8 years I had it.

So, now I can drive at nite and/or in the rain - neither of which I have a need to do...

Fearless
Of
Rainy
Drives

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Fearless
Of
Rainy
Drives

Cute!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm generally not a fan of cheesy decals but this is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I couldn't find one pre-made so I had a custom graphics shop make this for me. I put it on the rear window today.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:57 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I changed my brake light switch this morning before it got too muggy.

I was going to change the oil but the asphalt was too hot to lay on by the time I got out of work.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Pulled the carb off this evening. Tore into the carb to clean it up some and throw a rebuild kit in it, truck runs fine just had that hard hot restarts. Well I took the carb off and didn't spill any fuel truck sat since Friday afternoon so about 24 hours later I pulled the top of the carb off bowl had barely any fuel in it. Dumped it out and went through my tear down turned carb upside down pulled the four screws out of the deep economizer valve cover (yep this carb had one I could have swore it had a small single stage) moment the seal was busted I had pure raw fuel pour out of it. The cover was filled with fuel so that is where my hard restart wanting to stall out was coming from. Got it all back together pulled the shim I put on the EGR out and reinstalled it without it. Truck ran like **** but I had one idle mixture screw almost all the way in to get the truck to run smooth. Now with no extra fuel leaking I needed to enrich it. Truck idles damn good and is responsive but I need to idle her down some shes idling around 1050 rpm in park and about 650 rpm in gear. I want to get her down to 950 - 1000 in park and around 550 to 600 rpm in gear.

She is also holding a steady 22 inches of vacuum. Which I am told my vacuum gauge is wrong cause no stock crate short block rebuilt engine would make over 18 inches of vacuum. Well I don't know what to say but before it was bouncing around 20 to 22 inches now it holds a fairly steady 22 inches.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Pulled the carb off this evening. Tore into the carb to clean it up some and throw a rebuild kit in it, truck runs fine just had that hard hot restarts. Well I took the carb off and didn't spill any fuel truck sat since Friday afternoon so about 24 hours later I pulled the top of the carb off bowl had barely any fuel in it. Dumped it out and went through my tear down turned carb upside down pulled the four screws out of the deep economizer valve cover (yep this carb had one I could have swore it had a small single stage) moment the seal was busted I had pure raw fuel pour out of it. The cover was filled with fuel so that is where my hard restart wanting to stall out was coming from. Got it all back together pulled the shim I put on the EGR out and reinstalled it without it. Truck ran like **** but I had one idle mixture screw almost all the way in to get the truck to run smooth. Now with no extra fuel leaking I needed to enrich it. Truck idles damn good and is responsive but I need to idle her down some shes idling around 1050 rpm in park and about 650 rpm in gear. I want to get her down to 950 - 1000 in park and around 550 to 600 rpm in gear.

She is also holding a steady 22 inches of vacuum. Which I am told my vacuum gauge is wrong cause no stock crate short block rebuilt engine would make over 18 inches of vacuum. Well I don't know what to say but before it was bouncing around 20 to 22 inches now it holds a fairly steady 22 inches.
One of the joys of running a carb that holds fuel in with fabric.

What did I do today? Finished the valve covers:

Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
One of the joys of running a carb that holds fuel in with fabric.

Yep, but nice thing is this carb has been on this truck for years without being taken apart. I took it apart and used carb cleaner with the straw attached and blew through all passages and everything was clear and wide open my only problem was just that damn economizer valve went. I haven't driven the truck yet I just hope I got everything good cause I was playing beat the clock with the sun so I hope I got everything tightened down right and the gaskets are sealing.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Beautiful! Nice work, Gary!!!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Cienega32
Beautiful! Nice work, Gary!!!
Thanks! More info here if you are a glutton for punishment: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16445898.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?