1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Actually, I haven't done much "to" my trucks today. But, in a way I have done something "for" them - especially Dad's truck. What have I done, you might ask? Well, I've created a slew of web pages, and have even populated some of them. And, I'd like your thoughts regarding my approach.

Here's the link to where the pages start on Dad's truck, although you are more than welcome to start at the beginning of my site. As you'll see, there are links back to the various threads here on FTE regarding the truck. But, as there are "several" pages in some of those threads () I've been looking for how to glean the appropriate info from each of those several pages, and I think these web pages are probably the best way to do that. Each page would have an overview of what I'm doing and a synopsis of how it went.

I haven't started on the quest of teasing out the info from each thread, but wanted to get your thoughts as to the approach. Please take a look and let me know. And, thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's an update on the web site - I've created a how-to on making an ICVR replacement. I'm just looking to see if this format "works".

Old 11-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Lowpala
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary haven't had a chance to read through everything you're doing but you are putting a lot of effort into to helping out the Ford truck community, awesome stuff! Much appreciation.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowpala
It's crazy how tech advances and now my cell phone can download full length dvd movies in a matter of minutes hah.

Bruno, that tire place you mentioned.. they stock everything? Is it worth it with having to pay for shipping?
Lowpala, it is a commercial tire shop. Not so much like a Firestone retailer, but like where commercial businesses have accounts set up. They are nationwide. If I knew where you were I could see how close one was to you. They do not do shipping. Just inhouse installation with wholesale pricing.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks. That's the intent - to help. It is very easy to create and maintain documentation on my web site, so that's where I'll put my effort.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:53 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I sometimes come across complete setups of that stuff in the JY, and I think to myself that people on the forums sometimes want that stuff... but I never purchase it, I've got too much stuff and too many projects already....
Good, I need an exhaust manifold stove for my wheezer. Run down and get me one before you head up here for the next GTG.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
Good, I need an exhaust manifold stove for my wheezer. Run down and get me one before you head up here for the next GTG.
Hmmm.... you have a carb'd wheezer, right? Hmmm... I will see if I can remember that, the hard part is finding anything like that in the JY... right now there are two EFI 302s from the 90s, one 81/82 rustbucket with an engine I don't remember (I think about taking the grille and slider door locks but I never do) and a handful of other 90s trucks that are mostly trash at this point... finding anything from the pre-efi era is pretty dang difficult anymore...

Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
On the 81/82, if it is an M/400 I could use the exhaust manifold stove. And, we don't want to let those slider locks get away if it is an 80 or 81.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:34 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
And, we don't want to let those slider locks get away if it is an 80 or 81.
That is exactly the way I tend to think! Until I start to think about it... I already have one or two pairs in my basement someplace that I've had for any number of years now... and I want to get more?

Part of my problem is that I never have the right tools, or it's cold & miserable, or my wrist hurts, or I don't have much time, or I just don't feel like it...

I honestly don't remember what engine it has in it.

We used to have that "free parts from the junkyard" thread but I unstuck it once I saw there wasn't any (or much) participation in it anymore + finding things of this vintage is pretty dang rare anymore, at least for me.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Hound Dog Lew
Junior User
I put KYB gas-a-just shocks on my '83 F150 Flareside. For all I know the old shocks could have been original, you could compress them with one hand and they just stayed that way. I'm happy with the new ride!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Lowpala
Senior User
When I just went to the yard (of probably 2,000+ vehicles) there were a total of four bullnoses. Two of which has been converted to tow trucks and beat to hell. One that had nothing but the body panels left and finally the one I found - completely unmolested explorer edition that they had just brought in five minutes before I got there. I'll rake this and this, this, this.. lol. I was most excited about the original tail gate with all the functioning hardware

Oh and this 72 (?) that made me so sad to see it sitting there. Crazy, it had a PERFECT dash pad on it.

I live about an hour 45 minutes away from Detroit, home of the Ford. Rumor has it that there some out in the sticks yards that are flowing with old Fords. I plan on going to check it out next weekend, I'll let you guys know - in case there is any hard to find parts you're looking for I might run across.

Bruno, I am in Toledo, Ohio. It would be great to have a good connection on tires! I just recently got the rears but need to get the fronts before we get any snow or I'm in trouble (no rear brakes).

Prior to messing with my exhaust it was long tubes to dual 2" pipes no cats and two Flowmaster mufflers made its way around the axle and dumped behind the passenger side tire.

I chopped it today and ran a 2" in 2.5" out y pipe from the duals into a single glass pack and just dumped under the bed. No bends anywhere. Played with the static timing a hair, marked it for reference advanced maybe 1/8" - no good felt like the engine was fighting itself and no power down low. Retard 1/4" back from the advanced position and holy cow! Between the exhaust and the nudge on time this thing is running like all get out. And it wants to rev so bad I feel like I'm either running out of fuel or the heads aren't flowing enough. Either way, a new 400cfm carb and port/polish my heads this thing is going to be wicked.

This truck keeps getting better and better, still haven't fixed the heat tube or my vacuum mess lol.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Very well done!

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Actually, I haven't done much "to" my trucks today. But, in a way I have done something "for" them - especially Dad's truck. What have I done, you might ask? Well, I've created a slew of web pages, and have even populated some of them. And, I'd like your thoughts regarding my approach.

Here's the link to where the pages start on Dad's truck, although you are more than welcome to start at the beginning of my site. As you'll see, there are links back to the various threads here on FTE regarding the truck. But, as there are "several" pages in some of those threads () I've been looking for how to glean the appropriate info from each of those several pages, and I think these web pages are probably the best way to do that. Each page would have an overview of what I'm doing and a synopsis of how it went.

I haven't started on the quest of teasing out the info from each thread, but wanted to get your thoughts as to the approach. Please take a look and let me know. And, thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's an update on the web site - I've created a how-to on making an ICVR replacement. I'm just looking to see if this format "works".

Gary, as always, anything you put your mind and hands to is well put-together. What you have is well punctuated with excellent photos and easy to navigate. This information [priceless] will be helpful in recording your history and benefit the rest of us as well as future 1980-1986 Ford truck affectionados.

Thanks from all of us.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
David - Thanks. Really it is just a shell at this moment with a few things being populated as I think of them. But I believe it is going to be a good place for truly documenting things.

If you think about it, as good as FTE is for threads and banter, it really isn't suited for documentation. Take as an example the "Dad's" threads, all 20 or so of them with, currently, 597 pages. I'm probably the only one that has links to all of the threads, much less the nuggets of information buried in them - although in some cases I have links to a particular nugget or two. But threads aren't a good medium for documentation. First, unless they are "locked" anyone can chime in with a thought that may, or may not, be in keeping with the intent to document something. (The "Dad's" threads weren't meant for serious documentation, so I'm happy to chase rabbits, etc.) And, after a month even your own posts cannot be edited by anyone but a moderator, so they don't lend themselves to on-going documentation.

Yes, we have a myriad of stickies that are long-since locked, but many of those are really threads with lots of rabbit-chasing in them. So, if you are looking for specific information you have to read the whole thread - some of which are many pages long.

Given that, I'm happy that I finally decided to create a web site as it is going to be a boon for documenting things.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Torsten.H
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuild the Dualtank system

Hi,

i am verry happy today, i have build in two new Tanks, a complete new (selfbuild) wiring for the selectorvalve and Sendigunits with Fuelpumps on my 1985 F350 Racecarhauler.

And it works as it should at the time the Truck was new

regards

Torsten from germany

Old 11-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Torsten - Congrat's! That's a good feeling, I'm sure.

All - I've created a new file for the fastener documentation. This one is a very simple, to the user, pdf file. It is available on my website, and I'd sure appreciate your feedback. I put some info about it on the thread on Additional Documentation, but you may not even need that. Just click on a fastener # that is in a colored box and see what happens. Then, give me some feedback.

THANKS!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Lowpala
Senior User
Gary, I think a neat feature for your website would be the ability to thumb over the diagrams and it would pop up a zoomed in photo box. I use mobile for everything (I'm sure others do as well) and stretching the page to be able to read the diagram and then resize again to go back to reading text is a little frustrating. Just a suggestion! Seems like you know what your doing as far as setting up the website goes, but if you need a snippet of code for any additional features let me know. I'd be more than willing to help. I also have a server with unlimited domain hosting and data transfer, so if you decide to upgrade to your own domain name you could host it on my server for free. Just trying to make a contribution to the cause.
- Jacob

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?