1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 PM
6.0Lover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed off road lights on my brush guard. They arent the best but they will do until I buy my light bar

Old 01-31-2015, 06:11 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I had to boost my truck this morning.
Hadn't started my truck in a day and a half.
Battery let me down in single digits at dawn.

It's a group 65 Delco that -I want to say- is five years old.
I had to run 150' of extension cord because my ex has my Li-Ion boost pack.

Advance Gold 65-2 (850 CCA) is $154 retail.
SpeedPerks and a discount will probably bring it to a buck.

I want to load test it first, but I think it is just wearing out.
I killed the battery back around Thanksgiving and haven't felt good about it since.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim, my best luck with batteries has been AutoZone Duralast. I had a 3 year old one in the Taurus (also a group 65) die on me I think in November. First the local store couldn't find it in my records. The counter guy pulled it out and brought it inside to scan it, instant information, said it was still under free replacement.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I'll check AZ.

The two guys that used to run my local CarQuest have taken over the commercial desk at the new Advance.
I've known Chris & Tom for more than 30 years and although they know I'm a pita they also know parts and can use paper catalogs.

The kids at AZ are clueless and can ONLY find parts by drilling down through application.
NOT good when your truck is an amalgam of many vehicles.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
That's why I'll give my offspring a list of where the parts came from. But I won't put the list on the title like Johnny did on his Caddy.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

That sounds like a lot of our trucks on here.

Jim, checking my local (Onley) AZ, and using the Taurus (which was my last lookup) Duralast Gold, 65-DLG, 850 CCA, 1000 CA, 150 reserve min. $137.99 which looks like the best package for either application (Darth uses the same battery).

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 02-01-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added battery information.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:31 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My best luck has been with Interstate. Which is Johnson Controls. Same as AZ's Duralast. The build quality can't be that much different. They seem to have about the same life and success rate. 4 years on my Les Schwab group 65 here. (Relabeled Interstate)

Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I'll check AZ.

The two guys that used to run my local CarQuest have taken over the commercial desk at the new Advance.
I've known Chris & Tom for more than 30 years and although they know I'm a pita they also know parts and can use paper catalogs.

The kids at AZ are clueless and can ONLY find parts by drilling down through application.
NOT good when your truck is an amalgam of many vehicles.

That's why I do my research and find the part number at the store I am going to. Saves me the trouble of getting pissed off at their incompentance. I went to a Napa before I quit going to Napa two years ago asked if they had this one part I even had it with the ford part number. They looked in the computer and said its not a ford part number and never tried to look in a book. Called dealership up first one said the same thing, second I called up and they said yea we know what youre talking about but we don't have any and they are obsolete now. Same with my thermal relays for my cornering lights on my '78 Mercury, found a local Ford dealership that had four of them but they wanted $200 a piece. Found them on ebay after many many months of looking and got both of them NOS in original box for $75 after shipping.

On topic though, yesterday I went over the dash with a silver metallic sharpie. Looks a hell of a lot better but I need to let the sharpies sit a few days upside down to resoak the felt tip to go over some areas a second time. Not to mention I need to clean the interior and exterior of the truck but the dust is hard to see in person now with the silver trim.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks good, Rusty.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks good! now you just need to make the shifter all nice and pretty.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Looks good! now you just need to make the shifter all nice and pretty.

that's a new shifter column that I got but it got bashed up with the hammer as I tried to drive the roll pin in. I been thinking of getting another and replacing the gear shifter and while I have it apart clean up and respraying the upper column piece as well as the vinyl lower cover piece.

I just need to find a nice wood grain horn pad with cruise to replace mine as the wood grain is gone its just solid brown.

I also need to order some new brake pedal bushings, the brake pedal has side to side movement and I get a clunking noise when I let up off the brake some times. Could be ball joints that I know are bad, or it could be the clunk I have when I hit the throttle some times but that is more of a bump than a clunk. I did replace the brake booster so I need to check the nuts to make sure they didn't loosen up resulting in this as well.

I also need to check the transmission mount for the possible bump I get when I leave a stand still it went away for a while but came back again. I could do it today but after the headache I had pulling that starter out of my '56 I desided to say screw it not to mention right now its getting very cloudy as the rain is finally coming in 6 hours late.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
DesertZuki
Senior User
Originally Posted by 48/51F1
...pulled out the old gas tank I removed last week and set it on the ground when I heard a distinctive thud. My first thought was my 2 yr old probably dropped a ratchet in there so I went in so retrieval mode.
Can anybody guess what I found?
Keep in mind 66 yr old tank..
Don't know, but the suspense is killing me.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

... I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hand grenade.

Chris said the 850 CCA group 65 Gold battery (part# 65-2) is $153.99 retail and $114 otd, my cost.
I had my battery load tested and it seems to still have 595CCA according to their little widget.
I'm on the fence because of $, and paying days recently lost to weather and health issues.

I added a quart of 5W40 and suspect my FMS.
But don't mind too much if it keeps the salty slush off my undercarriage.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 PM
loepke72
New User
I'm back after a 4 year hiatus without a truck with a 1986 F-150 XLT Lariat I got off CL about a week ago with a rebuilt engine installed, but a bad transmission which only worked in reverse. So far I have the transmission (AOD) out and torn down, the problem was a forward clutch piston seal which had chunks of rubber missing. I'm waiting for the overhaul kit to come in (probably tomorrow) so I can reassemble the transmission and see how the truck drives afterward. Then I will need to fix all the little things it will need and then fix the rather large dent on top of the cab where something had fallen on top of it at some time.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Be sure you get the TV cable set correctly, too tight and it will drop out of OD with any kind of throttle, too loose and you will be rebuilding it again shortly.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?