1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wet sanded the dash for the third time . lol

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I got my rubber mat from Auto Custom Carpets. I ordered a carpet from them today also, with the plan to do as Gary suggested. I put down jute under the rubber mat. I'm going to go ahead and install the seat, etc. as the carpet is a week or two out. Simple matter to pull the seat again and install the carpet. It HAS to be easier than dealing with that damn mat.

SO

Today I spent 8 hours on the floor. I pulled the shifters and boots (my transmission is the New Process as it turns out..), put in the new mat and cut the shifter holes and then laid in the jute and the mat and started trimming. I did do something a little different and screwed down the shifter boot retainers on top of the mat. They were under it before, but since I'm adding carpet I thought this way the mat would hold down a little bit better.

It doesn't look bad, but I think I'll like the black carpet on top better. As I said, it should be easier to work with also.

I went back out to the shop after the wife went to bed. I need to stay up until 7am to get back on my work schedule after my days off, so I figured I'd see what I could get done.

I installed the lower vent plates and the rest of the molding and trim, also the threshold plates. All I have left is to figure a solution for the back wall covering (it was a nasty carpet so I may just replace it), and then install the upper and lower rear window trim. Then it's time to re-install the seat belts (the retractable ones didn't get removed), install the seat, the new door speakers and the door panels. If I can come up with a good rear cab wall solution, I just might get it done by the weekend.

I also got rid of the cheap radio and speaker box (behind the seat) that the PO had installed. I need to be able to move the seat further back and I don't mind just having the door and center speakers. Once the new radio gets here (Classic Car Stereos USA-630), I'll get that installed.

The interior looks WAY better than it used to and smells better too..

That should hold me until spring when I'll tackle the rear main seal, emergency brake adjustment and the paint (I hope). Eventually, I'll be able to get back to the '63 F100 restoration but have some home projects to get done first.

Making progress..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
waterdog40
Junior User
KsCop

Originally Posted by KsCop
That takes care of the morning; what did you do after breakfast?

Are u really a Kansas cop what part im from western Kansas ... live up north in MN. I tell ya its fricken cold here... lol

Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by waterdog40
Are u really a Kansas cop what part im from western Kansas ... live up north in MN. I tell ya its fricken cold here... lol
Yes, I'm really a cop in Kansas, just outside Wichita.

As to what I did to my truck today;

I came up with a solution for the trim panel under the rear window. It was a nasty piece of carpet and was beyond saving. I went to Lowes and picket up an industrial floor mat; rubber backed, black ribbed outdoor type carpet. I cut it to fit, used some double sided tape to hold it to the cab wall better and installed it using the original trim. It more or less hangs from the trim and is held on the sides by that molding. The black goes with my camel / black theme and looks way better than the old carpet.

I found out the seat belts I got from LMC are way too short to reach up into the seat. Not sure how they figured they could ever work with a bench seat but I'll be returning them and just refurbishing my old ones. I won't have a center seat belt but no one ever rides there anyway.

If I can break away tonight before work, I'll get the belts done and get the seat installed. Then I just have to run the new speaker wires, get the speakers installed and the door panels on. Once the radio gets here, I'll finish that up.

I should be able to make some progress yet tonight, but think I'll get it done tomorrow. Finally..

Pics to follow..

Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Pictures as promised:

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
NW1980F150
New User
Today I replace the original seals on the doors and the window runs.
They came out in brittle little pieces.
No more whistling.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Had a pretty good last 2 days.

Replaced the brake proportion valve.
Bled brakes, no more brake light!
Dropped rusted out saddle gas tank/straps.
Removed 2 crossmembers, one under bed, other under rear of cab (cab still on truck)
Welded in frame patches where it was soft.
De-scaled, prepped (with pickle-x 20) and painted (with U-Pol graxtex) that section of frame where new tank, and crossmembers go.
De-scaled new crossmembers and painted them too.

Tomorrow I will install both members, re-set cab, install new gas tank.
the rest of the frame can wait till spring, (that part will be easy to get to).
Maybe next week,, now that new tank is in, I can install the new Eddy 4-v and intake.
Might venture into painting the interior vinyl and plastic parts.
Thanks KS for the painting tips!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NW1980F150
No more whistling.
I did that on mine a while ago. Wasn't too difficult and made a world of difference. The vent window was a little tricky and I had to rivet the window sweep onto the door panel, but it came out very well. As you said, no more whistling.

As part of my interior project, I just replaced the door weather strip as well. The doors have to be slammed hard now, but it was a super easy project - MUCH easier than on the 63 F100 since it didn't take any adhesive.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 PM
NW1980F150
New User
I know what you mean by slamming the doors now, hopefully it will get better.
I wire tied the sweep to my door panel, I will be changing the panels out later.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Put some cab vents in. Later model trucks have them (the little black boxes in the lower back side of the cab wall).
Lets the air out as the door closes. no more fighting the air pressure "bubble" created by closing the doors with windows up.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Cole Neese
Senior User
Originally Posted by NW1980F150
No more whistling.
I really need to do that. The whole top of the piece in the window is gone so it whistles AND rattles like crazy.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
NW1980F150
New User
Yes, and it make for less of a mess when I wash her now, I now don't get all that water inside.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
It's not the pressure that's the problem. The new seals are stiff and a little thicker, so
the doors need to be shut harder. No big deal.

My final task for the night was to get the seat re-installed and start on the door speakers. I got one done but figured I better stop there and take a break before heading into work. This is my Monday so..

Tomorrow I plan to get the other speaker in, the door panels installed and the last few bits re-installed (glove box, ashtray and panel under the steering wheel). I also need to replace the trailer wiring connector as it keep shorting out & running down the battery (have the connector) and wire in the new plasma-glow switch for the KC lights.

The final thing, and I hope it's not even a problem, is to figure out why it won't go into gear. I put it in neutral when I pulled the gear shift lever and I thought it went in the same way. I'm hoping the truck just needs a nudge to get things in sync. If not, I'll be pulling the lever again..

Almost there..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Probably missed getting the index in the shifter slot, for lack of a better term. did that on my 48 F-5. pulled the shifter, pivoted the lever and re-installed into the "slot" all good.
When I installed new door gaskets on my 86, the doors did not like to close completely. open the window and try again. if it closes better, you are fighting the "bubble"
I put cab vents in and the doors closed all the way even with the windows up.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
Probably missed getting the index in the shifter slot, for lack of a better term. did that on my 48 F-5. pulled the shifter, pivoted the lever and re-installed into the "slot" all good.
When I installed new door gaskets on my 86, the doors did not like to close completely. open the window and try again. if it closes better, you are fighting the "bubble"
I put cab vents in and the doors closed all the way even with the windows up.
I agree as I did the same thing on an NP.

Tell me more about your vents, please?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?