1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys are something else I can tell you that.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
You guys are something else I can tell you that.
yep. And no one really knows what that "something else" is either......

Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
yep. And no one really knows what that "something else" is either......
It's some sort of foreign matter that's for sure.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
It's some sort of foreign matter that's for sure.
We ain't furrin, we Okies.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
We ain't furrin, we Okies.
Like I said...LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Man, I guess my bed time was too early last night. I missed all of the smoke and furrin. But, Jim did seem to confirm he's at least a partial Okie - partial to certain things apparently plentiful here.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsai
While I was in there I also fixed the filtered air portion of my choke stove, replaced a few elderly and stiff vacuum lines, and reattached the kickdown lever to the transmission with a new clip.
I forgot to mention that I also replaced the engine temperature sender as well...because with the manifolds already off, there would never be an easier opportunity. Plus, I've had my doubts about its reliability...in the course of an hour's driving the temperature gauge would fluctuate from the 'R' in NORMAL up to the 'L' and back, all with the thermostat housing never measuring more than a couple degrees either side of 190.

Now? Rock steady on 'R', with a slow drift toward 'M' after a long stoplight idle. Finally, I seem able to trust my temperature gauge.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
New (not reman) master cyl and rear frame to axle brake hose. The hose was a bit tricky, the line going to the driver side rear was rusted to the fitting. I could break the fitting loose, but the line was also trying to spin. I took it loose at the top, axle, and longer line going to pass side, and spun the hose off the line. Assembly was simply reverse of disassembly.

My cost (thru the shop) on the new cyl was LESS than a reman + core. Granted, oreilly had to get it from the hub, but they dropped it off at the shop. I stopped in to the store to order/pay for the parts a couple weeks ago knowing they would have to the master from the hub. Given the time that has passed with the parts laying in my toolbox, darn glad I didn't have to pay a core charge.
New unit says "made in china". Kinda sad, really. But, remans come from Mexico, and have too high failure rate for my taste.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Fastolds
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made my first attempt to weld-
I got one of the patch panels I ordered from LMC installed. I'm not very good at welding. I bought the welder from Harbor Freight. I used almost all of the wire that came with it. It honestly looks like crap, but I'm happy that it is attached to the bed now. One more to do, and then I can take it through inspection.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jason and I finished up the new exhaust work on Junior today. I would love to post some pics, but my daughter hasn't returned the camera from prom yet.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
One of my A.I.R. pumps threw the front bearing today.
So I took it out and ordered a new bearing.
Upon opening it up I see the caged roller in the back is shot too.

Don't know whether to order a reman pump or remove the whole system, now that I no longer have to get smogged.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one I am getting rid of Jim.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
One of my A.I.R. pumps threw the front bearing today.
So I took it out and ordered a new bearing.
Upon opening it up I see the caged roller in the back is shot too.

Don't know whether to order a reman pump or remove the whole system, now that I no longer have to get smogged.
It has more than 1 pump? Personally, I think those pumps are useless now that we have "oxygenated" (ethanol) fuel. They just pushed a little fresh air into the exhaust, pre-cat, to help the cat burn off the fumes better.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsai
I initially suspected that maybe I had a leak where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe, but I put my hand up there today while it was running and couldn't feel anything. The heat shield/air duct thing was in the way, though, so I am probably going to remove that tomorrow and look some more. I hope the leak is there, and not either at the block or at the interface between the two manifolds.
As it turned out, that's exactly where the leak was. I don't know why I couldn't feel it the first time I checked, but the donut was misaligned and there was quite a gap open in there. So I picked up some new studs and nuts for the connection (the old ones were really rusty, and I probably shouldn't have reused them in the first place), took my time reassembling it, and everything ran perfectly on today's 120mi round-trip to my parents house.

I am officially declaring this project...

Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It has more than 1 pump? Personally, I think those pumps are useless now that we have "oxygenated" (ethanol) fuel. They just pushed a little fresh air into the exhaust, pre-cat, to help the cat burn off the fumes better.
First, what's a cat? The 460 > 8500 GVW engines don't have them until 1988 EFI models. They use dual air pumps, one feeds 6 of the 8 exhaust ports and the other feeds the exhaust manifolds just outside the ports. Jim, I gave my old ones to Ryan Hurd, if he hasn't used them he might be willing to part with whichever one it is.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?