Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Elder User

6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteel187 View Post
Sorry for being so stupid just like all other forums you have them know it all technical gurus that try and point out WHERE YOU SCREWED UP should have not took my time to take pics,resize photos and post them to be put under a microscope.You would make a good wife.......Coldsteel
X2 on what Chris said. And I would like to add that it is more about safety than who screwed up.

Let me ask you this: would you want to be cruising down a road behind someone driving, just to have his/her truck break in half and cause an accident of some sort?

We all have to look out for one another and help them see things that they may or may not want to see/hear.

There was no ridicule intended or sensed be me or others in this forum.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I moved my super cab from one side of base to the other (to avoid detection of the project hinderance police And I am cleaning up the dash pad I got at the JY last week, hoping to put her in the dd soon.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior User

CamoLaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered a new TPS and O2 sensor from Rock Auto in an attempt to clear up the codes and improve the running condition.

Still looking for specifications for my particular carb model number before reassembly.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
This space for rent...

dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.
continued working on putting my lift kit in today. got both i-beams off and out from under the truck. i also managed to get one of the drop pivot brackets installed before i ran out of daylight.

Click the image to open in full size.

this is about the time you wish you were doing a sas instead of a ttb lift

Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Posting Guru

ihateminimumwage has a very good reputation on FTE.ihateminimumwage has a very good reputation on FTE.ihateminimumwage has a very good reputation on FTE.
Went and finally picked up a replacement 37" military tire for the one that decided to blow the sidewall out driving down to Los Angeles for work.
While on that trip, I checked out (and bought) a 19ft flatbed double axle car hauler (new tires, wiring, lights, etc) for $700. Same price to rent one from U-Haul. Now I can tow my T-Bird to Idaho with me, and haul all the other fun junk trucks that seem to magnetize towards me... Money well spent.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan View Post
Inline wire setup....hmm, I wonder if I could get a couple of factory connectors like what connects the truck wiring to the taillight harness, and make my own 80-86 inline connector for trailer lights? That way I wouldn't have to cut on my factory wiring. I really want to have trailer light wiring on my truck, that way I don't have to dodge cops when I take junk to the dump! lol
Check the junkyard for the rear wiring setup for an 87+. Be worth it to swap in and plug this in (I did it in the O'Reilys parking lot):

Hopkins PN# 40125

86 F350 4x4 6.9idi
62 Thunderbird 390
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Elder User

roadrash63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
hey
i have the same garage.... roofless with a dirt floor!
ok summer sucks in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc_chump View Post
continued working on putting my lift kit in today. got both i-beams off and out from under the truck. i also managed to get one of the drop pivot brackets installed before i ran out of daylight.

this is about the time you wish you were doing a sas instead of a ttb lift
1985 ford f250, RCLB,4x4 300-6, t18, np208, D61.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior User

panman65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
going to the local junk yards today going to see if i cant find some of the stuff from the list for the 82
Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
This space for rent...

dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash63 View Post
hey
i have the same garage.... roofless with a dirt floor!
ok summer sucks in the winter.
damn straight. i'm trying hard to get my @ss in gear to beat winter. i know the snow is just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Posting Guru

TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Check the junkyard for the rear wiring setup for an 87+. Be worth it to swap in and plug this in (I did it in the O'Reilys parking lot)
The rear wiring is a direct swap in? Do they sell the larger, round-style trailer wiring connector kits to fit the 87+ wiring too?

Today I swapped out the intermittent wiper control box in my truck for the one I was using before I got the black dash. Last switch\controller pair I picked up worked great on low and delay, but I had no high speed. New pair I got with the black dash worked on low and high, but the delay was out of whack. Now it seems it's working at least somewhat normal. Oh well.

Also cleaned up some under-dash wiring so it wouldn't hang down below the dash, used a shorter screw to mount my add-on fusebox's relay to the factory fuse panel (there's a small hole in the top corner of the panel that's just right for mounting the relay)...oh and added some oil. lol

1995 Jeep Cherokee
| 4.0L | AW4 | One owner |

Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior User

oddshot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
JUNK YARD DAY!!!

I had a day off from school and went treasure huntin' down at the local JY!!!

I found the center console of my DREAMS ... out of a Big Bronco. Its absolutely PERFECT ... except for the blue color.

I got the nice fresh door seals for both sides.

I found TWO great visors so I can drive INTO the sun.

I am building a 12 volt automotive circuit TRAINER ... to teach young folks about how to test for shorts to ground, shorts to hot high resistance or opens in various automotive (series, parallel or compound) circuits.

I am using a 435 watt computer power supply to give me the 12 volts ... but I needed to find a device that would allow me to change resistance, short to ground or make an open circuit at the twist of a ****.

The answer??? The headlight switch out of the F series Pickup is PERFECT!!! The dash light dimmer spans from 0 to 10 ohms ... and I can make it short to ground or to power. You just cannot find a 0 to 10 ohm wire wound rheostat that will do all that for the price I paid.

I harvested 4 of them and found a couple other types of switches I was looking for. I will be able to build almost any circuit on the bench .. and teach folks to diagnosis/trouble shoot it. About all I need now is a 12 volts, low amps (3 -4) push button resettable circuit breaker .... to simulate blown fuses ... probably Radio Shack

Total price?

I got the whole pile for $50.00 and a GREAT morning walking around a junk yard!!!
72 MGB Roadster 2.8 GM V6
99 Blazer Grocery Getter
99 Mercedes Benz 500 SL Roadster (the wife's car)
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Junior User

JohnSChisum is starting off with a positive reputation.
I moved it so I could get to the wifes Jeep. I had to flush the radiator since she picked up an old antifreeze jug with waste transmisson fluid in it and tried to top off her overflow bottle with it. Maybe I will get to the JY tomorrow and have a me day.

1984 F250 4x4 6.9 C6 (Parts truck)
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior User

nolan62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I picked up my rebuilt tranny from the shop this morning and put it back in. So why was is harder to put it back in when it came out easy? In case you wonder what the 4sp OD looked like when it was new take a look. It's so clean I hate to put it back in the truck!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior User

86pullerf350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Finally got a chance to finish bleeding my rear brakes, although I haven't replaced the drums, shoes, hardware, or axle seals yet. But brakes both sides lock up which means they work so I'm happy.

I had to make my tires round so went out and put down a nice 60' posi patch in the road next to my house. I couldn't get too happy, the police station is just around the corner. Tire smoke and open headers is an attention getter! The cop drove by about 10 mins after I did it and gave me the look, but I was parked and working on my snowblower.

Also got prices on full floor pans $50, upper rocker panels $30, cab corners $15. This may be a winter project. Considering putting a plow back on. Not sure yet, though.
07 Ford Edge 3.5l awd (The Hunnys Hot Rod)
"There is a sickness worse than alcohol and dope, it is the pickup truck debt, and there is no cure in sight." - Rancho Deluxe
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Elder User

Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
Installed new new taillight assemblies. Cleaned out what looked for all the world like plumber's putty(!) from inside the sockets, cleaned the contacts and put new bulbs in.

Up next: dashboard lighting.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
Cleaned out what looked for all the world like plumber's putty(!) from inside the sockets, cleaned the contacts and put new bulbs in.
That stuff is put in at the factory to keep moisture from corroding the electrical
contacts. Today's equivalent might be dielectric grease.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Elder User

Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post

That stuff is put in at the factory to keep moisture from corroding the electrical
contacts. Today's equivalent might be dielectric grease.

Well, after thirty years it also makes a fine glue to hold your bulbs tightly in place.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM