1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Well, a big giant wall just got thrown in front of me.

I don't really feel like going into detail, but basically, I just found out that there's a bunch of red tape surrounding my F150. There are two possible outcomes. I lose the truck completely, and all the work I put into it. Or, I get to keep it.

I'm grinding my teeth over this, and it all hinders upon a single phone call tomorrow morning. I've never felt this crappy in my life.
WTF??

My thoughts are with you, Pal. Let us know what's up when you can, ok?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, phone call went well. There isn't as much red tape as I thought, and there's a good chance I can keep the truck.

Now for the problem.

Back in 2008 when I bought this truck, I was 15 years old. I couldn't have a vehicle in my name, so the truck was put in my dad's name. Or, so I thought. I randomly decided to try and find some more info on the truck last night, including where it came from. It turns out that the original owner of my truck passed away in 2009. Luckily, the truck wasn't in his name, it was in his son's, so the truck is free and clear from any estates.

After reading that, I decided to do a motor vehicle check on the Florida DMV website. Upon searching the VIN, I found that there was a stop on the title of the truck. This is when my heart sunk. I decided to dig up the title of the truck, to see if the actual title was alright. I finally found it in a box in my garage. Upon inspecting it, I found that my dad never signed the title. He never did anything about the truck, he just left it like it is.

So technically, I don't own the truck. It's still in the sellers name. The seller signed the title, but that's it. I did find a bill of sale from the purchase, but it was signed by the seller's girlfriend, and not the seller, so it's more than likely null and void. It wasn't notarized either, which makes it even more worthless. So all I have now is a title with the seller's signature on the sale portion.

I called the DMV to see if they could give me any info on why there is a stop on the title. The DMV employee looked up the vin, and said that the truck itself had no stop on the title, and that it was more than likely a stop on any vehicle and license activity by the seller.

Now, the red tape is still up. I'm not really sure if the seller can technically sell a vehicle with a stop on his info. Even though I have a bill of sale, it's not signed by the seller, so it's probably null and void. There isn't really any date proof of when the truck was sold, unless they'll accept the bill of sale I have. In Florida, all I need to transfer the title is the signed title, proof of liability insurance, and about $250.

If the seller can legally still sell a vehicle, then I should be okay. If for some reason he can't due to the stop, then a great big can of worms opens up and devours all of my hopes.

It's just a whole potpourri of legal crap that I have to go through just to get the truck in my name. I'm just hoping it turns out for the better.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, phone call went well. There isn't as much red tape as I thought, and there's a good chance I can keep the truck.

Now for the problem.

Back in 2008 when I bought this truck, I was 15 years old. I couldn't have a vehicle in my name, so the truck was put in my dad's name. Or, so I thought. I randomly decided to try and find some more info on the truck last night, including where it came from. It turns out that the original owner of my truck passed away in 2009. Luckily, the truck wasn't in his name, it was in his son's, so the truck is free and clear from any estates.

After reading that, I decided to do a motor vehicle check on the Florida DMV website. Upon searching the VIN, I found that there was a stop on the title of the truck. This is when my heart sunk. I decided to dig up the title of the truck, to see if the actual title was alright. I finally found it in a box in my garage. Upon inspecting it, I found that my dad never signed the title. He never did anything about the truck, he just left it like it is.

So technically, I don't own the truck. It's still in the sellers name. The seller signed the title, but that's it. I did find a bill of sale from the purchase, but it was signed by the seller's girlfriend, and not the seller, so it's more than likely null and void. It wasn't notarized either, which makes it even more worthless. So all I have now is a title with the seller's signature on the sale portion.

I called the DMV to see if they could give me any info on why there is a stop on the title. The DMV employee looked up the vin, and said that the truck itself had no stop on the title, and that it was more than likely a stop on any vehicle and license activity by the seller.

Now, the red tape is still up. I'm not really sure if the seller can technically sell a vehicle with a stop on his info. Even though I have a bill of sale, it's not signed by the seller, so it's probably null and void. There isn't really any date proof of when the truck was sold, unless they'll accept the bill of sale I have. In Florida, all I need to transfer the title is the signed title, proof of liability insurance, and about $250.

If the seller can legally still sell a vehicle, then I should be okay. If for some reason he can't due to the stop, then a great big can of worms opens up and devours all of my hopes.

It's just a whole potpourri of legal crap that I have to go through just to get the truck in my name. I'm just hoping it turns out for the better.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Shaun - I really think it will turn out fine. In fact, it may turn out for the best as you can get the title in your name.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I sure hope so.

On a positive note, through research, I found out that the original owner's name was John Wayne. He was a proud Texas native who served as a Sargent in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.

I must say, I feel pretty honored to be in possession of his old truck.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I suspect you'll be fine, Shaun.

Here's why...

Me & my brother recently went through something similar with his Taurus. Apparently, what had happened was, the vehicle was sold in 2010, the back of the title had signatures and dates.

It apparently changed hands a few subsequent times, too.

It was finally brought to a JY to be scrapped but the kid working there bought it from the guy, instead.

This kid decided he had to leave the state because 1) he had a warrant out for his arrest, and 2) was quite likely an illegal alien from Mexico, and he sold it to my brother. No bill of sale or receipt, just gave him the title.

None of those people ever got the title put into their name, all we had as a few undated bills of sale from prior transactions and the original title.

The Colorado DMV has procedures for handling this kind of stuff, they involve lots of red tape & bureaucracy.

Some of that required taking the car to the Colorado State Patrol for a certified VIN check; this revealed the insurance company totaled the car in late 2010, which might explain why nobody put the title into their name.

Getting this all fixed took a LONG time... lots of paperwork, time spent at the Department of Revenue (who does records searches), getting the thing bonded by a bonding company, printed pictures, an appraisal, various forms explaining what was done to the car, various inspections to determine if it was fit to drive, certified letters sent to the last known owner (who, legally, still owned the car and could claim ownership if they desired, the bonding company provides a sort of insurance against that), all kinds of yahoo involved.

But it eventually worked, he just the other day finally go the new title in the mail.

In your case, if the last-known owner is still alive & available, I think you'll be OK....

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
The last known owner is very much alive. He's the son of whom I suspect to be the original owner. Unfortunately, the kid is a regular non-law abiding individual, and so finding him won't be hard, since I'm sure the local court house will know exactly where he is.

I even have the original application for a title that he filed two months before I bought the truck. I matched the signatures, so the kid was definitely the last owner of the truck.

Hopefully there won't be as much red tape in my case since the last owner is known. I just want the title in my name.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the title was signed and you have it I dont see a problem. Sounds like you just need to go to the tag agency and have the title transferred. I would just go down there like I knew what I was doing with my Ins and money. Then tell them to transfer the title and go about your business. The employees there are appointed and usually dont know their *** from a hole in the ground. I have gotten discounted tags just because they cant do math or dont care because they cant be fired.I dont really see a problem in my opinion.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
lol, I like your straightforward approach.

I know the title fess will be at least $80, and who knows what other kind of crap they'll tack on.

-------------

In other news, I received my 1980 Ford 4-Wheeler brochure supplement today. This one to be exact:

1980 FORD 4WD PICKUP BROCHURE-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-4X4 | eBay

Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shaun, it sounds like things will work out. Good luck on it. Sometimes the DMV here can be very helpful. My late wife and I had titled all the vehicles (we thought) as both names and/or survivor. When I went to DMV with the death certificate and her license to get everything in my name, the 5th wheel trailer wasn't titled that way. The woman who handled it had known Karen and said "everything else is that way, I assume the trailer should have been also." She processed everything for me.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I sure hope so guys. It'll be a big relief when my name is on the title.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
4x484150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In other news, I received my 1980 Ford 4-Wheeler brochure supplement today. This one to be exact:

1980 FORD 4WD PICKUP BROCHURE-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-4X4 | eBay
What does this have in it exactly? I looked at the ebay page, does it list options of the trucks?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4x484150
What does this have in it exactly? I looked at the ebay page, does it list options of the trucks?
This particular one is a supplement to the 1980 Ford Pickups brochure. It basically describes new features, payloads, and other options for 4x4 trucks. It has pictures of all the interior options, a few pictures of 4x4 trucks, and info on the Free Wheeling package.

The main 1980 Pickups brochure has all of the info concerning the whole pickup line, and shows the available colors, exterior trim packages, Trailer and Camper special packages, Supercabs, specifications, and options.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening everyone. This weekend proved to be quite exciting with the Ol' girl. Replaced the weakening starter. Also thought my clutch went out as well...Ended up finding a small crack in the firewall under the slave cylinder. Welded up a small plate to get it down the road for now. And really put the brakes to a test in a scary and unfortunate situation.

Me and my buddy were on our way back to my place, travelling behind a DT650(Enduro motorcycle) he was a couple car lengths ahead of us, when an elderly gentleman made a left turn right infront of him. He laid the bike down on the right side. The exhaust caught the pavement and whipped him violently into the car. His head sustained most of the impact. And he wasn't wearing a helmet. I couldnt believe my truck stopped in time, without locking up, and I was pulling a trailer loaded with lawn equipment. He was in bad shape, but luckily he is still alive. One of the most horrific things I've ever seen, and I don't want to ever see that again. Makes you wonder why some choose not to wear helmets. I know a bike will always be on the loosing side. But I can't help but wonder how much better that guy would be if he wore one.

Last edited by Boss351Bronco88; 09-24-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors, Sentence structuring.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I wish I could do living room projects like that. I'd have my rear handed to me for working in the living room like that lol, I get yelled at even if I set a screw driver on the counter top.......
LOL, I store parts in every room except the bathroom. I have headers and an intake in the living room, tires in both bedrooms, various other stuff all around the house. My son doesn't see any issue with it since he has RC car stuff all over the kitchen. But, I don't have have a wife to complain about it. Not that she would have.......

Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 AM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new parts on truck but have problem

Hey guys I just got done putting on my new carb and intake manifold this weekend. Runs great with old distributor! The PROBLEM my MSD 6AL digital ignition box with built in rev limiter model 6425 and MSD distributor 8478 when hooked up make it run like booboo !!!!!!!!!! I have a non digital timing light and my timing at idle is right at T/C but I move it in any direction advanced or retarded and it dies and when I leave it on T/C and give it any gas it dies!!!!!!! Please help cause msd folks aren't worth a crap on advice.

Last edited by BAMAFAN2169; 09-25-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Model numbers for msd products

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?