Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
This space for rent...

dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.
got the dash pad in the dumpster. it's starting to look like a functioning vehicle again

got the knuckle off the '84... slight play in the ball joints.
Click the image to open in full size.

on the right side replaced both upper and lower ball joints, installed new spindle bearing, installed new u-joint on the outer axle shaft, removed shock and spring, removed the nut from the radius arm, started to drop the right axle, but the bolt is seized in the axle pivot bushing sleeve. it was dark at that point, so tomorrow the gas axe comes out.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Postmaster

Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.
LOL!

Those ball joints have plenty of life left!

Any idea what made them get that bad?
2003 Ford Ranger Edge+
-3.0 V6/M5OD-R1/Ford 8.8
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM
This space for rent...

dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.dohc_chump has a great reputation on FTE.
they were the original ball joints, so age and then my tires on top of it. the top one was seized and the bottom one, well you see what it did!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Elder User

00Boss is starting off with a positive reputation.
I actually did it yesterday but I replaced my passenger door found out my power window doesnt work because of wiring in the cab need to install my new driverside power window motor. I also found an uncut Ranger XLT bezel, needs a little bit of love but Ill fix it up real nice, but then I wont use it so ill sell it to someone whos hurtin for one. Got me a tach as well I just need to figure out how to pull my headlight and wiper ***** off without breaking.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Junior User

64deville is starting off with a positive reputation.
New Gas Pedal

Installed a new gas pedal. The original plastic one broke in half and I had a nice chrome/rubber one out of a 70's Jeep Wagoneer. Took the assembly down, drove the pin out and it was pretty much a perfect fit. Best of all, I had it on hand so it was FREE.

Not today but 2 weeks ago I put new calipers and pads on the front, $77 total.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Postmaster

Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.Fordzilla80 has a great reputation on FTE.
I lured some of my fat buddies over with candy, and then we put the F100 back on the concrete.
2003 Ford Ranger Edge+
-3.0 V6/M5OD-R1/Ford 8.8
Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Headlight, wiper **** removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Boss View Post
I just need to figure out how to pull my headlight and wiper ***** off without breaking.
For the wiper, use a hook-like tool to depress the spring holding it to the
****, then just pull it off:

For the headlights, it depends... some ***** can be removed as described
above, others are glued to the stalk and need to be removed by reaching
under the dash and pushing a button on the switch itself, releasing the ****
+ shaft as a single unit. Something similar to:

Note, the switch in that pic is upside down from how your switch should be
installed; your wires should connect on top, I believe the button is on the
bottom but may also be on top. It's a mechanical button that releases a
spring mechanism.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Posting Guru

desperado_18_2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To add to my post the other day, I ended up taking off my bent up rear bumper and replaced it with one in better condition. I wasted a little paint, but I think this one will work much better for the little towing I do.

Tomorrow I'm swapping in my instrument cluster w/ tach, and changing the dash trim around so that all of it will match and look pretty darned good.

...Gotta start me a build thread soon, got good things coming!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Posting Guru

TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Aww man ya beat me to it, I was gonna help him out....oh well, you have pics, I didn't. lol

Today I wanted to take my truck to the carwash to clean all the gunk and oil off the engine, frame, suspension components, etc., but I ended up deciding against it....instead I grabbed a broom and decided to clean out from behind my seat and sweep out all the dirt, brush, etc. that gets inside.

Ended up only sweeping a little area, most of my time turned into let's-clean-up-the-underhood-wiring-time. I will say, I did clean it up quite a bit. Looks good if I say so myself. Oh and I found the connector that plugs into the seatbelt latch so the FASTEN BELT light will come on...cept one, the wire is cut where it goes into the latch, and someone snatched my buzzer long before I got my truck. Oh well, all stuff I can fix.

And I do think the lights on my Autometer gauges look at least a little brighter after I added that ground. I suppose since they ground through the dash supports (and by extension, the cab), they can benefit from having two grounds, the one from the engine to the firewall, and from the battery to the frame...

1995 Jeep Cherokee
| 4.0L | AW4 | One owner |

Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Senior User

mattthegreat is starting off with a positive reputation.
-replaced my master break cylinder for the second time in 1 year today hopefully this one wont break, still need to bleed the breaks a little more I think as they feel a little spongy (peddle goes halfway down befor I get any breaking power)
-replaced the thermostat, now I can actualy get the truck up to operating temp in 5 min of driving instead of.... well never.
-stuck 2 12V led lights onto my hood (facing into the engine bay) so that if I have trouble I just turn them on and I can see the whole engine bay (makes working on it easier too).

next project, finish cleaning the engine of all the built up and cooked on grease so that the winter work will be easier.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 AM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan View Post
oh well, you have pics, I didn't. lol
If you're talking to me, I don't have those pics (of the headlight **** stuff). The
first diagram is from Franklin2's gallery, the second is just something I found
via google. You have the same pics I do in this regard.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Posting Guru

TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Oh ok, lol.

Depending on how things go, I might change my oil today if I can afford it. I've had the same oil and filter for most of the year, though it's Rotella T 15w40, so I'm not making a big deal...besides I've leaked out most of it since it's getting out somewhere I've yet to find...

My Cherokee has a warped valve cover (I'm going to try and replace it today as well)...it's leaked out enough oil by now that the oil looks brand new, even though I changed the oil way back in the early part of this year.

1995 Jeep Cherokee
| 4.0L | AW4 | One owner |

Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Postmaster

Today I received my radio ***** from Lgwilson (Thanks man!), so I stuck them on the truck. They look great! Makes my interior look more complete. Now I just need to get the headliner and seat redone, get new carpet, and repaint and install the trim panels above the arm rest, and my interior will be finished.

Then I have no choice but to start on the Mechanical stuff.

PIC:

2003 Ford Ranger Edge+
-3.0 V6/M5OD-R1/Ford 8.8

Last edited by Fordzilla80; 11-01-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Add pitcher
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Elder User

6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Replaced the four corner lights so my blinkers work again! This cheapo supercab seems to run really good, I gues she just needed the tune-up (and a brake booster soon)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
This space for rent...

Looking good Fordzilla!

I just replaced the A-pillar trim and the interior trim around the windshield on the '81 today. I managed to crack my damn dash pad in the process of pulling it out of the truck. Not a happy camper about that but at least I have more laying around.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM