1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately, my camera is down for the count. So, I have no visual documentation of anything I have done on my F150 in the last few days.

However, the entire front axle was primed and painted satin black. The same goes for the front half of the frame.

I finally found a set of 1980-1984 steering knuckles. New ball joints were installed in those, and they were cleaned and repainted.

I also picked up grade 8 bolts, washers, and lock nuts to re-install my spring towers onto the frame.

The entire front axle assembly is now under the truck, and tomorrow I will be adding the spindles, rotor/hub assemblies, bearings, and the wheels.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Unfortunately, my camera is down for the count. So, I have no visual documentation of anything I have done on my F150 in the last few days.

However, the entire front axle was primed and painted satin black. The same goes for the front half of the frame.

I finally found a set of 1980-1984 steering knuckles. New ball joints were installed in those, and they were cleaned and repainted.

I also picked up grade 8 bolts, washers, and lock nuts to re-install my spring towers onto the frame.

The entire front axle assembly is now under the truck, and tomorrow I will be adding the spindles, rotor/hub assemblies, bearings, and the wheels.
Shaun - That's kinda lame. Can't you do better on the excuses than that?

Actually, I'm jealous. When I put that nice shiny engine in Dad's truck today it was kinda disappointing to see all the other things that needed cleaned and painted. But, that'll have to wait for a later time as i want to get this thing on the road. Soon!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I did a lil 2 wheel gravel peel in reverse today, didn't take hardly any throttle at all lol

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked the charge on my A/C today and it is down to a measly 10 psi not running, if you guys remember I mentioned the 2nd compressor is leaking out the front seal.

It took me about five minutes tops to setup the return process through Amazon and I will have a new one at my door before I even have to send this one back. They are also paying the shipping back to them since the item is defective.

The first one that I got from Rockauto.. I had to jump through hoops, contacting them, Paypal and the Better Business Bureau before they decided to accept the return. I had to send it back at my cost. The original cost will only be refunded in the form of store credit.. which I have not received yet. I will spend the store credit on some goodies then take my business elsewhere.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Gary and I both say it... 'Amazon fulfillment is the best!'

Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
I checked the charge on my A/C today and it is down to a measly 10 psi not running, if you guys remember I mentioned the 2nd compressor is leaking out the front seal.

It took me about five minutes tops to setup the return process through Amazon and I will have a new one at my door before I even have to send this one back. They are also paying the shipping back to them since the item is defective.

The first one that I got from Rockauto.. I had to jump through hoops, contacting them, Paypal and the Better Business Bureau before they decided to accept the return. I had to send it back at my cost. The original cost will only be refunded in the form of store credit.. which I have not received yet. I will spend the store credit on some goodies then take my business elsewhere.
If my mind were not already made up, you would have done so with that info. But, you are "preaching to the choir" as far as I'm concerned. Your situation is an open and shut case of customer antagonism vs customer service.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Gary and I both say it... 'Amazon fulfillment is the best!'
Amen!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Yesterday I decided to do some work on my 400 valves. They were crusty, and covered in beginner rust and carbon. I cleaned all of that off, and then checked stem width. All of the valves had worn stem sections that were within .002 of the unworn portion of each valve stem, which means that they are all re-useable. I cleaned up the valve springs, the upper retainers, and the valve locks.

I re-checked the valve guide wear, and although there is very slight movement, it's way too minor for me to really worry about. It doesn't seem to be enough to affect compression, and isn't enough to keep the valves from seating properly in any way.

I also checked the piston sleeve bore wear. No movement at all, which means that my pistons and rods are good to go as soon as I install new rings and bearings.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Shaun - That's kinda lame. Can't you do better on the excuses than that?

Actually, I'm jealous. When I put that nice shiny engine in Dad's truck today it was kinda disappointing to see all the other things that needed cleaned and painted. But, that'll have to wait for a later time as i want to get this thing on the road. Soon!
Actually, I fixed my camera, so I was able to retrieve my pictures, all the way up to before I installed the new ball joints, which was right after the lens locked up and the camera kept freezing. I'll post them in a few minutes.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
First few pictures are of my axle adventures, the last picture is a freshly cleaned up exhaust valve next to one of the rusty ones.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Fordzilla, thats a nice looking truck. I wish mine was half as nice. One day I will find one that is in good shape.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^^^ Yeah, my '87 is FAR more rusty and dilapidated than that.
I'm just glad that it gets me to work and has no major issues other than the DS ball joint.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shaun that is a pretty truck.

Today I went to Pete's Used Auto Parts to collect some of the payment for fixing his problem, a 67 Mustang convertible that he has made into a Shelby clone but using a 1994 Z28 LT1 and 4L60E. I got a nice aftermarket front seat, two buckets with a center that can be a seat or a nice wide armrest with storage and drink holders. A pair of later model rear doors that turned out to have power locks. One of the things I wanted was a set of 87-97 fuel fillers, some clown had taken a sawzall to the hoses on both. Donnie Medlin said had had another dually coming that a tree fell on and to look at it as soon as he got it.

For Matt's project 359, I got a BUG0 EEC, the CCD TFI module and heat sink and all of his remaining air intake plumbing.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Thanks guys! It's definitely in great shape.

It has some rust issues, but nothing that I can't handle with patches robbed from a spare cab.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Thanks guys! It's definitely in great shape.

It has some rust issues, but nothing that I can't handle with patches robbed from a spare cab.
Ok, now I believe you. Actually, good job! And, you are gonna like that 400.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left mine outside with bird **** on it, gas is too damn expensive to do anything else.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Today I reinstalled my glove compartment, which has been disassembled since the A/C work.

Sometimes it's the little things, you know?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?