Working on getting my third members swapped from the parts truck to my truck. Swapping gears from 2.75 to 3.50 so im hoping it helps a bit.
Went ahead and painted the pumkin, than yesterday i removed the rear brakes, u bolts, shocks, took out the axle shafts, removed the old pumkin and drained the oil from it.
I went ahead and pulled the driveshaft all the way out. Last night i brought it home and cleaned it up good and gave it a few coats of paint. Today I got new uv joints and replaced all of them on the driveshaft and now i have it ready to put back in tomorrow.
Tomorrow after class im hoping to get my axle shafts bearings cleaned out and cleaning the outside of the housing fairly well and give it a coat of paint. If i can get those done im going to try and get everything set for friday to finish up all the rear end! Cant wait to test drive it and see what difference it made.
1981 Ford f-100 302/C6/9'' 3.50 limted slip/31x12.5
Bass, walleye, catfish, and trout, im tellin you now you'd better look out! You were safe in the lakes when i was home wishin. But be on your guard cause im goin fishin!
I had a burned out backup light and decided to replace them with LEDs.
I got a pair of these with a 1156 base for under $8.00 on ebay (free shipping). They work, but I don't think any better than the original incandescents. They put out about the same light, and maybe they will last long enough to justify the price.
For what it's worth, I've had a pair of red 1157 LEDs I picked up at Autozone like three years ago, and to this day they're still working as well as the day I bought them.
Today I pulled all eight spark plugs (one at a time of course, lol) and made sure they were gapped properly (.046"). All of them were whitish-tan in color, which if I recall means that all is well. I also pulled the distributor cap and used some #0000 steel wool to clean all the contact areas on the cap, as well as the rotor.
I still haven't tracked down the cause of my rough idle though. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb however, and the idle improved greatly...until all the cleaner was burned off, then the idle was back to being rough. I'm currently checking for vacuum leaks, though all that really would be leaking would probably be the vac advance hose, the brake booster hose, or the hose for the modulator valve...
Maybe something is plugged up in the idle circuit? The engine runs strong from ~1000rpm til whatever I push it to (usually no higher than 2300RPM...I can't fly down the interstate with a bald tire, now can I? lol).
Tomorrow if I can find time, I'll rotate the front tires to put the bald tire on the side that doesn't wear tires much at all. That right front side is bad on tires...
Well I think I figured out what was causing my rough idle.
Apparently the green\yellow dot wire that goes to the coil was coming loose. It had a crimp Y-connector on it where I had my old Sunpro tach teed off of it, and over time the wire wore through and finally came loose tonight. I found this all out as I was sitting in my truck earlier tonight getting ready to go get ice cream, when in the middle of warming it up, it just died on me.
I have a spare coil and DSII harness so I just snipped the wires for the horseshoe connector and resistor, and transplanted it onto my truck. Now I have a good idle again (well, as good as it's gonna be in cold weather with no choke, when it's not to operating temp yet), no bogging down when I rev it, and it doesn't smell like it's running rich anymore.
ALL THIS MESS OVER A LITTLE WIRE! Oh well, I needed to redo some of the vac lines anyway, and replace the carb gasket...and check the plugs...etc. etc. etc.
Oh well. I'll take it for a spin early this morning to go pick up my paycheck. We'll see how it does then.
I laid in the rest of the under dash wiring harness on the Dumpster yesterday... putting on the dash pad today. I'll also be back to work at rebuilding my front end and installing my lift kit on my '84... after I go to the junkyard of course!
Finished milling replacement boards for bed floor on Flareside, put 1st coat of stain down. Got my new 28mm wrench from Sears so I could get back to work on my 4x4 front end. A 28mm combo wrench is hard to find. Removed spindles, shock mounts (putting on sway bar mounts from donor Bronco), removed strut arm nuts.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.