1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Took the horrible Purple tint off my driver's side window and replaced it with 20% VLT Black tint. Gonna do the rest of the windows next week.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 F150 Explorer, Bright Blue, 302/C6, 4x4 single cab short bed, down for a restoration
He is driving a flourescent blue F 150 I cant imagine why the blue on the engine is bugging him.

I got everything squared away on the bottom of the truck as far as organization of wires, hoses and lines go. I still need to adjust this damn tranny.I am in the process of rounding up filter bases and fittings so I can plumb the fuel system up.

Apparently while Gary was "resting" all the 3/8 npt-3/8 hose barbs disappeared from the hardware store by my house so I didnt get to plumb it all up. If I get off work earlier enough tomorrow I will get the rest of the stuff and plumb it up.

While Gary was "resting" the instructions to my new fuel pump disappeared as well. So now I am going to have to find a way to figure out wich port is the fuel entry and which is the supply somehow.

As soon as I get this post written I am going to sit down and write a letter to Santa so he can amend his naughty/nice word document. I am going to be sure and mention "somebody" that is considering leaving the exhaust on a truck all cobbled up for the new owner to deal with. I will also mention that he is doing this b/c he wants to win a friendly competition among Ford people.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Anafiel
Maybe he might like Chevy Orange better?
My engine is gray.
I like it.
And it looks good with blue (or black) accents like wires and valve covers.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always liked the Ford dark blue, but one of my favorites has always been a Pontiac engine paint from the sixtys, a mettalic green. I painted my Chrysler turboII engine block that color.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Or Hemi Orange?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sorry for two posts back-to-back, but somehow I missed this and feel compelled to respond:
Originally Posted by bruno2
Apparently while Gary was "resting" all the 3/8 npt-3/8 hose barbs disappeared from the hardware store by my house so I didnt get to plumb it all up. If I get off work earlier enough tomorrow I will get the rest of the stuff and plumb it up.

While Gary was "resting" the instructions to my new fuel pump disappeared as well. So now I am going to have to find a way to figure out wich port is the fuel entry and which is the supply somehow.

As soon as I get this post written I am going to sit down and write a letter to Santa so he can amend his naughty/nice word document. I am going to be sure and mention "somebody" that is considering leaving the exhaust on a truck all cobbled up for the new owner to deal with. I will also mention that he is doing this b/c he wants to win a friendly competition among Ford people.
Gary doesn't feel like he rested at all recently, as many parts of the body ache. And, I've fulfilled the prophesy in the sign on the shop wall - Broken Knuckle Garage - as I have Bandaids on both hands.

Considering the lack of fittings and instructions, if Jimmy can lock people in Port-a-Potty's and sleep in his car to win, then what's wrong with a little ..... skullduggery? (Oh wait, Johnson didn't win. Bummer)

As for Santa - too late as he's already been here. Left a 32" TV for the shop so I can watch Georgia beat up on LSU while still wrenching. Can't spare the time away from the truck, but gotta stay connected to the outside world.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
the sign on the shop wall - Broken Knuckle Garage -
I can watch Georgia beat up on LSU
I have one of those signs on my shed door.
Go Dawgs.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xjpilot
I don't know why, but I've never been fond of the Ford blue engine blocks, I think they look a little tacky.
When I rebuilt my Powerstroke Diesel, I painted the block and heads Ford Red. Looks more orange than red.... The water pump and oil cooler are Ford Blue.

Think I will paint the 351w with Ford Red when it gets rebuilt.

And I filled up the truck with gas, to get back on topic.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM
xjpilot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the blue would win my vote over orange any day . I guess I just like the simpleness of black the best though!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I just like the simpleness of black the best though!
Thats what I did my 7.3 PSD with. I dont like the way it looks either. I wish I would have went with Ford blue and gray.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 PM
xjpilot
Elder User
Today I took the third member out of the 9 inch, wire wheeled the whole thing and primed it. Does anyone know what the two circular **** like things are about 10it inches outboard from the pumpkin? They don't seem to move on mine, so I can't tell what they are

Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 AM
JimNQ
New User
Today I cleaned up some stone chips and a couple of small surface rust spots. I also fitted a steering wheel out of an XD Falcon that I bought a little while back on ebay. It doesn't look it but this steering wheel is almost the same diameter as the standard wheel. It's a lot flatter than the standard steering wheel so I had to modify the wiper stalk so I don't bump it while I'm turning the wheel.

I know it's not original but I like this wheel much more than the standard one.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by JimNQ
Today I cleaned up some stone chips and a couple of small surface rust spots. I also fitted a steering wheel out of an XD Falcon that I bought a little while back on ebay. It doesn't look it but this steering wheel is almost the same diameter as the standard wheel. It's a lot flatter than the standard steering wheel so I had to modify the wiper stalk so I don't bump it while I'm turning the wheel.

I know it's not original but I like this wheel much more than the standard one.

Jim - If you are just dealing with stone chips and surface rust your truck is in great shape. Is that dash pad also good under that piece of cloth? Are those door panels really as good as they look?

As for the steering wheel, I have a similar wheel saved back for Dad's truck. It is off an '85 F150 and is thick like yours which, to me, feels much better.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my cruise control works!

My truck is an '86 F150 XLT Lariat with stock feedback carburetor a manual 4 speed OD transmission. After owning it for 2 years now, I decided to see if the cruise control works. It does!

I tested it on a long drive on country roads. The cruise control keeps a very constant speed even going up and down hills. The "set/accel", "coast" and "resume" buttons all work like they are supposed to. It's kind of wierd (to me anyway) to have cruise control on a manual transmission vehicle, but also pretty neat.

Another thing I have noticed about my truck that is neat is that it will "idle" right up a fairly steep incline. Put it in 1st gear, take foot off of the clutch pedal, and giving it no gas at all it will maintain a steady idle speed and "idle" right up a hill at low speed, without stalling or even threatneing to stall. Go feedback carburetor!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
xjpilot
Elder User
Today I drilled and welded up a drain on the 9 inch. 1/2x20 lug nut and a magnetic plug. First time I've welded in 10 years, so it wasn't pretty. I may grind it off and do it again, but I've got to buy a decent welder first, as my bosses Harbor Freight welder doesn't really penetrate very deep. I also snagged a front sway bar, brackets, a beautiful hood and 3" leaf plates from the junk yard over the past few days

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?