1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Mustangtc65
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapped my speedo into the new cluster with a tach and painted the needles. Waiting for the new blue leds.

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Yesterday I made fiber shims for the upper fender bolts and got the nose bolted back on.

Use my new stud welder for pulling dents and pulled dents before I pull the fenders for painting the insides and bolt them back on.

Then started pulling the manifolds of the 300 for a EFI manifold swap and cleaned up some of the parts.

Was a good day.

Today I went into the garage to do a little more cleaning of parts for the EFI exh manifold swap.
It went down hill almost from the time I walked thru the door.
I cant tell if the holes in the head, the bolts that fit in the holes and the studs for the Y pipe flange is metric or SAE?
Cant tell with my thread pitch gauge.

Then I figured I would set the Y pipe in place and see what is needed to hook up to the stock muffler & tail pipe.
In doing so I was going to bolt up the manifolds to the head and ran into another issue.
The rear manifold hits a sender on the back side of the block so now looking into what is needed to get around this.

At that point I called it quits and closed up the garage.
Right now I don't want to go back into the garage any time soon!
Dave ----

Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Momma said there'd be days like this,
There'd days like this my Momma said.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Yesterday I made fiber shims for the upper fender bolts and got the nose bolted back on.

Use my new stud welder for pulling dents and pulled dents before I pull the fenders for painting the insides and bolt them back on.

Then started pulling the manifolds of the 300 for a EFI manifold swap and cleaned up some of the parts.

Was a good day.

Today I went into the garage to do a little more cleaning of parts for the EFI exh manifold swap.
It went down hill almost from the time I walked thru the door.
I cant tell if the holes in the head, the bolts that fit in the holes and the studs for the Y pipe flange is metric or SAE?
Cant tell with my thread pitch gauge.

Then I figured I would set the Y pipe in place and see what is needed to hook up to the stock muffler & tail pipe.
In doing so I was going to bolt up the manifolds to the head and ran into another issue.
The rear manifold hits a sender on the back side of the block so now looking into what is needed to get around this.

At that point I called it quits and closed up the garage.
Right now I don't want to go back into the garage any time soon!
Dave ----
The sender is your temperature sender, I imagine it was relocated on the EFI engines. Find a place up front where it will see water temperature all the time the engine is running, like in the heater supply hose or where the thermal vacuum valve for emissions went.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:30 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed out my turn signal switch. Hardest part was separating the connection. That thing was really gummed together. Piece of cake after that. While I was in there, cleaned up the wheel lock plunger and the key cylinder moves nice and smooth now. Blinkers cancel, brake lights work when they should, 4 ways work. Finally.

Learned why a P.O. had electrical tape around the ends of the horn pad - the plastic frame under it was in 8 or 9 pieces! Another item for the J/Y list for when ever.

Changed out my bad heater core with an almost good fitting core from O'Reilly's. Pipes are off a bit at the tank making a problem for the top rubber. Ran out of daylight so I'll wrestle with it another day. We get some misty foggy nites lately and it's getting to the colder part of the season but no biggie just yet.

I've been driving the truck a lot lately while the DD car is on jacks taking a vacation. Almost 200 miles in the last week and a half! That's about what I average a year over the last 8 since I bought it.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:27 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Cienega32
I've been driving the truck a lot lately while the DD car is on jacks taking a vacation. Almost 200 miles in the last week and a half! That's about what I average a year over the last 8 since I bought it.
Wow.
I have 200 mile days (sometimes more) and drive my truck 400 miles a week even if I stay local.

Your truck must be happy to have its juices flowing.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Wow.
I have 200 mile days (sometimes more) and drive my truck 400 miles a week even if I stay local.
Your truck must be happy to have its juices flowing.
Haha! Yeah, I only bought it for dump runs, gravel, and big-box store stuff. The tires (A/T) cost more than the truck!

With all the little things here & there, driving it much wasn't wise. A lot of hacked up wiring, lack of window anti-rattlers, ridiculously worn out king pins, stuff like that kept me from driving it very much other than when I really needed to. The biggest psychological fix was doing the gauge cluster. Sure is nice when you can see those things at nite...

Doing one thing at a time, that turn signal switch was pretty much the last serious thing that I needed to address so now it's getting out & about. Of course, driving it much more often now, I notice all the other little things it needs.

Can't win with this thing!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Someone once said "These trucks are like onions, and we peel them back and make onion rings."

Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Someone once said "These trucks are like onions, and we peel them back and make onion rings."
Wasn't that someone you?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Wasn't that someone you?
Come to think of it, maybe it was. Dad would have said "I forgets".

Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Mustangtc65
Trailering
Put dash back together with blue LEDs.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2017, 08:05 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
The sender is your temperature sender, I imagine it was relocated on the EFI engines. Find a place up front where it will see water temperature all the time the engine is running, like in the heater supply hose or where the thermal vacuum valve for emissions went.
I found the issue of the sensor & manifold..............It was the installer
It helps to line it up with the right ports.

Today I picked up the studs & nuts for the manifolds, yesterday I picked up expansion plug for the intake EGR port as I don't want any coolant at the gasket for EGR plate to carb.
Dave ----

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I found the issue of the sensor & manifold..............It was the installer
It helps to line it up with the right ports.

Today I picked up the studs & nuts for the manifolds, yesterday I picked up expansion plug for the intake EGR port as I don't want any coolant at the gasket for EGR plate to carb.
Dave ----
They say confession is good for the soul. But it doesn't do much for the image.
I'm glad to have company in the category.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:09 PM
fomocofool
Freshman User
we froze but we're making progress

I We got the clip of today despite freezing temperatures, and snow. Tomorrow cab we hope

Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
You are a better man than me.
I got a garage, no heat and it 32* out and thinking twice before I go out to do work on my project.

Do you have a thread going on your project?
Dave ----

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?