Modular V10 (6.8l)  

FINALLY.....I'm going to be in the V10 brotherhood!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY.....I'm going to be in the V10 brotherhood!!

Well......I'll be part of the V10 crew as long as all goes well in the next 10 days. Kind of a long story here, but if your bored, then enjoy....

As some of you may remember (thanks to those for all the helpful PMs, etc....mainly to powerstrokeHD) I've been looking for a truck for about 2 years. Yes...two years. At first, I thought if I'd find the perfect deal, I'd do it. But I was in no hurry, my Dodge beater was still running fine.

About a year later, Dodge is running decent, but not great. Had cash in hand for the "right" truck. As some said, I may have had my expectations too high. But I didn't think so...a few trucks that were perfect for me were missed by a matter of hours, I just couldn't get there fast enough. I wasn't in dire need of a new truck.

Last August, we were camping. Saw a guy that had an 08 CC 4x4 short box. I noticed the 6.8 on the fender emblem, so I started talking to him. Barely any miles yet, hauling a small 5th wheel, reitred Ford worker. Said it was a lease that would be turned in December 2010. I figured there's no way I won't have a truck by then, but I figured I'd ask him to take my phone number and call me when the lease was over (just in case I didn't have a truck yet LOL). He put it in his glove box. I ended up chatting with him a lot over the 5 days we were there.

The year went by, the Dodge got really bad, and we had some pretty ugly rumors of BAD concessions coming at work. So my truck shopping slowed down. But the Dodge was running real bad. I was too scared to spend the money on a truck.

Saw him at the same campground this August and asked him how "my truck" was doing LOL. Truck still looked clean, but I didn't get right into it like I did the first year.

Turns out our concessions at work aren't going to be as bad as expected. But I was going to try to save a few $$$ and get an older, high mileage truck and put the saved $$ into some things at our house. I was set to head down this weekend to get a 97K mile 2004 truck, already had some issues in its recent past (last month) and had been in a minor (CarFax said minor) accident in its first 3 months of life. My Dodge is at the scrapyard, so I have no truck, and I absolutely need one now. That was the only one I could justify getting.

Came home from work Wednesday expecting to get my insurance guy setup for the 2004, and there was the camping guy on my answering machine. He was at the dealer ordering his new truck and the dealer offered to buy it from him. He was honest enough to tell them he had a guy waiting for it (me).

The truck has 29K miles on it, and I'm getting it for the same price the dealer offered him.....which is pretty much the same as his lease buyout price. From what I've seen online, its about $5000-6000 less than the average asking price for a truck like his within a 300 mile radius of me.

He was getting ready to leave for a 2 week vacation, and said I can get it when he gets back. So as long as all goes well by time he gets home......I have FINALLY found my truck. Never thought I'd get lucky enough to land a 2008 truck. Cannot WAIT to get this thing.

Anyways, glad to be a part of the gang.....in a few days!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:06 PM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, you will definately be happy. I just got an `08 SC LB V10 with 22K miles. Same scenario, a 3yr lease return.

I had an `01 V10. It was not near the `08 in drivetrain, ride and power. You`ll love the torqshift. Love the 3V V10. Love the ride and the quietness.

Not sure what size RV you pull but a have a 10K 5th wheel. Pulls 90% of the time in OD and barely see RPMs over 3500 (3rd gear) on the hills. Took me a while to get used to cruising along at 2000 RPMs pulling the trailer when I was used to almost 3000 with the OD off in my old one.

Happy motoring!

S

Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Thanks S!!

Right now, our trailer is only 4100lbs and 26ft. But the "plans" are to possibly get a 30ft with two slides.......SOMEDAY after my wife gets back to work full time. That also depends on how much we end up using our current trailer to justify a newer one.

But I also have access to borrow a 12,000lb dump trailer to haul wood to my house. Never really had anything that could handle that trailer, so I've never really been able to use it with any real benefit. Also going to be plowing my long driveway in the winter. So this truck is perfect for me. I don't mind having a little built in overkill anyways.

Just can't wait to get it in the garage!!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
grats on your new truck..

if you waited 2 years, these next 2 weeks will fly right by..

post up pics when you get it. thats a awesome truck btw.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
ontariofarmer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats.......good things come to those who wait.

I'll also be waiting for pics.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Welcome to the brotherhood. You will not be sorry you got that V10.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Sweet story. It's great when things work out like that. As always, post some pics of the truck up and congrats! Are you the same 66 BADBOY on Plowsite.com too?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Bert56
Senior User
Welcome Bro, I love your motto!

pk

Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrads

I love my v10, its always done what I asked of it. It been the best truck I have ever had. Tows heavy runs great.

Donovan
2005 F250 6.0 CC SB
2009 F250 6.8 CC LB

Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bert56
Welcome Bro, I love your motto!

pk
HA!! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Sweet story. It's great when things work out like that. As always, post some pics of the truck up and congrats! Are you the same 66 BADBOY on Plowsite.com too?
Yup, that's me. Thanks for the info over there too!!

Originally Posted by donovan
I love my v10, its always done what I asked of it. It been the best truck I have ever had. Tows heavy runs great.

Donovan
2005 F250 6.0 CC SB
2009 F250 6.8 CC LB
I figured I wouldn't be towing heavy yet. Someday yes, but not yet. Our camper is only 4100lbs. But I am more of a guy that likes to overkill things. I towed our camper once this year with my dad's 1999 Dodge extended cab 4x4 with the 360 in it. Got pushed around and was bogged down enough to really know the trailer was there. So even if the V10 is going to yawn while towing this trailer, that is fine with me. I prefer to take my trips and relax while cruising down the road. And I think it will be neat to have that V10 badge staring back at a Toyota Prius at a red light!! LOL

Anyways, 9 days and counting. I may have found a used plow for it too. Just depends on seeing it first. I cannot believe the prices they are getting for new plows!! YIKES. A used one will definitely save me some serious coin.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
HA!! Thanks!!

Yup, that's me. Thanks for the info over there too!!

I figured I wouldn't be towing heavy yet. Someday yes, but not yet. Our camper is only 4100lbs. But I am more of a guy that likes to overkill things. I towed our camper once this year with my dad's 1999 Dodge extended cab 4x4 with the 360 in it. Got pushed around and was bogged down enough to really know the trailer was there. So even if the V10 is going to yawn while towing this trailer, that is fine with me. I prefer to take my trips and relax while cruising down the road. And I think it will be neat to have that V10 badge staring back at a Toyota Prius at a red light!! LOL

Anyways, 9 days and counting. I may have found a used plow for it too. Just depends on seeing it first. I cannot believe the prices they are getting for new plows!! YIKES. A used one will definitely save me some serious coin.
Get your true weight of your trailer, the weight value on mine was way off. Just take it down to a pilot Gas Station.

Donovan

Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
bigseadaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by donovan
Get your true weight of your trailer, the weight value on mine was way off. Just take it down to a pilot Gas Station.

Donovan

Thats no joke ours was almost 700lbs over the advertised shipping weight the day we picked it up!

We max out at 8900lbs and our truck pulls it like it is nothing!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Great story and what a standup thing for the seller to do and call you and sell it to you for trade-in value. I picked up my v-10 last week. It is a 2009 F250, CC, 4x4, regular bed, lariat, 4.10 LS, tow, chrome package, heated seats, moon roof, nav, brake controller, upfitter switches, power pedals, TCS, rear camera and rear sensors, spray liner, 20" wheels, cab top lights, sync, stabilzer bar, rubber mats, and probably a few other items with 34k miles. I love it. Curious what trade in value was with yours. Picked mine up for $31,100 which I thought was good considering new was $51k. Enjoy the new ride.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Congrats on the new truck! I will have had my '04 V10 for one year as of tomorrow, and I have yet to regret it. It pulls great, the mileage isn't as bad as everyone would have you beleive and after using it for one year as the primary family ride as well as towing, it hasn't even had a small hiccup yet.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
C'mon Friday!! Chatted with the owner and the dealership yesterday. All is set for Friday as of now. Gonna feel good to quit looking at Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars dot com, Ford Direct, etc!!! lol. I also got setup with a nice deal on a snow plow too.

After thinking about it, I have the trailer. I have the plow. But I don't have a truck to put it on!! YET!! LOL This week is gonna drag by.

Quick Reply: FINALLY.....I'm going to be in the V10 brotherhood!!