Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F150 4x4 Restoration/Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 AM
lamenytro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBlaze
Forgot to mention don't mind the mountain man beard haha.
that beard is just manly lol, and that motor sounds amazing!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
Making a little progress. Having never done body work I'm hoping I can make this thing turn out decent looking. Gotta start by stripping it down first though!

Never been more impressed by a product than I am with this stuff. Gonna bring my respirator home so I can feel a bit safer doing the rest of the box. I'm just trying to get the majority of the 4 layers off and then I'll DA the little bit that's left off. Already have a few spots where I got down to metal with the stripper and the putty knife.

So far the general idea for paint is using OMNI products. Epoxy Primer over bare metal -> bondo -> high build primer -> epoxy primer -> base coat -> clear coat

Not really sure if base coat / clear coat is the way I'm gonna go. Kinda curious about the duplicolor paint shop paint but I would rather have something that will last me a long time and hold up then something I can get done quick and cheap.

All tips / info / comments very much appreciated especially in the body work area.
-Justin

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like yer scraping the paint off with a shovel. I have just always sanded it off or media blasted it.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks awesome. How much time did it take to do the one side that way?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
It wasn't too much time. I was working on it on and off yesterday. The real time consumer is waiting for the stuff to work which took about 15 minutes. I was only working on a section at a time though. If I spread it all over the bed it would of been quicker because I would have been able to work constant.

How's your truck coming along?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
bsiebert
Senior User
I am not impressed with the Duplicolor Paint Shop clear coat. The paint isn't too bad. If you are looking for a good clear coat for a decent price check out the Nason clear. I've seen multiple cars with 3 or 4 coats of this stuff that look close to new after 6 or 7 years. Remember that preparation in body work is key.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
Yea I just did a little research and read that the duplicolor stuff isn't very good. I'll probably do the omni base / clear but now I've got something I'm paranoid about, Isocyanites.

Don't have the budget for a $400 supplied air system but I also don't wanna risk screwing my health.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been looking at paintforcars.com They have gallons for around $35. I don't think you can get custom colors, though. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
So it's been quite a while since I've posted any progress. I took the front axle back out to blast and painted the coil buckets. I also got the core support blasted as well as the engine towers. I painted all of that stuff using SPI Epoxy Primer and Martin Senour Black Acrylic Enamel. The current plan is to get the truck together and driving and the bare metal covered in black SPI epoxy primer and worry about paint next year.

So currently the front end is in, motor is in, tranny is in. Tomorrow night I should have the transfer case on and my new transmission mount in. I still have to blast my shock towers so hopefully I'll get those painted and back on.

The floor and underside of the cab will hopefully be getting blasted soon and covered with some of the gray spi epoxy I have and then sprayed with upol raptor bed liner that I just ordered yesterday. I'm wanting to go over the rockers to the underside but I'm not sure on that yet. What do you guys think?

One thing that I'm pretty excited about is hopefully getting the exhaust on this weekend too and being able to hear the thing through the exhaust. It's just gonna be manifolds to a Y-pipe that I robbed off my parts bronco to a thrush weld I have sitting in the garage and out the side.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustBlaze
Still surprised how well it ran for using a Holley 600 Vacuum Secondary carb that was off a 350 and has sat on a shelf for 3+ years. One thing I can say is that Accel Super Coil I put on there that was off the original 300-6 gives off a hell of a spark, especially when it grounds out through your arm haha.
That reminds me of the time I was trying to figure out if my 96 was getting spark or not, I had done the 6liter tune up, and was running a pretty big MSD coil, found out real quick it was gettin spark lol. Made some words fly that I shouldn't be saying lol

Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good! Keep picking away at it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
greatbargins10
Freshman User
Have you made any progress on this truck?. I'm working on one myself & it's surprising how much time & money it takes to do it right.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
Originally Posted by greatbargins10
Have you made any progress on this truck?. I'm working on one myself & it's surprising how much time & money it takes to do it right.
I've made a little progress, it definitley takes a lot of time and money. The time is the issue right now, I should be under $10,000 by a good bit when its done.

Sorry for the lack of updates by the way guys, there hasn't been much to really add lately but I just got my $48 chinese hei distributor from skip white installed and man does she run like a champ now. There isn't anything wrong with the duraspark setup but I like having a 1 wire hookup and simplicity.

******** width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150737136457485" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150737136457485" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed>*********>

Hopefully the cab will come home this weekend possibly so that will really move things along, it's been holding a lot of progress up.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Lookin' good! Keep up the good work.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
I finally got some more work done on the cab.

Laid down two coats of SPI epoxy primer on the floor, rockers, and underside.
Tomorrow I'm going to seam seal and spray some bed liner.

Quick Reply: 1977 F150 4x4 Restoration/Build