1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Performance upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance upgrade questions

Ok I have ordered my clutch, and have already pulled all needed parts from my parts truck, so now I sit here and wonder what performance parts Ii should order and install.

I use the truck for towing, its a 1997 4X4 ext cab and is in the middle of a 5 speed swap, it has 4.10 gears. so i guess my questions are,

What chip? i want a adjustable

Downpipe? I am putting stacks on as well, its a flatbed I think they look good with stacks

Gauges of course

turbo housing? yay, nay? or upgrade whole turbo? late model turbo conversion? those may happen later on down the road, unless you think a turbo housing will be good enough, only cause of money

and injectors will have to come later.

I have already done the DIY intake, but other than that its all stock

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
o and how about a lift pump? are those needed?

Other DIY mods like, HPOP stuff? not sure what that involves.

Shims on the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For now do the exhaust system. Tymar makes some nice downpipes for our trucks so look into those.

Guages, ISSPRO EV2's or Autometer guages. Obviously you have a manual trans and only need a boost and pyro. Clay at Riff Raff Diesel has both of these brand guages.

turbo- leave it stock. Depending on how big of injectors you get down the road you will want the stock housing on the turbo or if you want more than stage 1 or 2's then you may be getting a bigger turbo...

6 position chip- www.totaldieselperformance.com (a chip from here would be Tony Wildman tuning which is what I run), Gearhead Automotive (this would be Matt's tuning), Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke (Jody's tunes), etc. There are a lot of custom tuners out there for these trucks. you just have to decide which one you want.

HPOP- stock is fine for now, but when you upgrade the injectors later on, you will need a bigger HPOP. For stage 1's, 2's, or even small hybrids a modded 17* from Terminator Engineering would be great.

fuel system- You can shim the FPR with a BB for right now to keep your fuel pressure where it needs to be, but if your planning to upgrade injectors later on then you might want to look into an electric fuel system sometime in the future. Electric fuel systems are much nicer on these trucks than the mechanical pump and huge fuel bowl in the valley.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Tymars down pipe is made by Diamond Eye, just FYI.
Personally I'd hold off and do all the performance stuff at once except for a modded 17° HPOP from Joey at Terminator Engineering.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
so right now till i have $ for injectors not much i can, or sould do?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
just supporting mods for now. Fuel system, HPOP, guages, exhaust, chip, and maybe even an IC if you can find the parts for it.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
I was considering doing a IC, maybe I will ad that to the list of mods to do now

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
How about the CCV mod? or the 120v idm, what is that exactly?

and isnt there something to do with a resistor?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
Your search button is going to be your biggest friend in this case. You can search all the pluses and minus' of each mod and what they do.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
the 120v IDM is a stock super duty IDM(99-03). It is obviously more voltage than our stock IDM is and will get you a tad better throttle response.

The CCV mod is just to keep oil off the boots and making them easier to blow off. Just flip the doghouse around 180*, attach a hose to the 90, run it up over the brake booster then down under the truck making sure there are no kinks. You can vent that to atmosphere or run it through a catch can. I run mine to atmosphere about half way to the back of the truck..

Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
So are bot of those mods i should do?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
the 120v IDM is a stock super duty IDM(99-03). It is obviously more voltage than our stock IDM is and will get you a tad better throttle response.

120v IDM, 3 inch down pipe into the stock exhaust with the CAT and Muffler removed, BB mod to bump fuel pressure, 10k mod and a 46637 wix filter.

120vIDM I was happy with, felt I got a little more then the 10k mod, I removed all the mods one day and the truck felt like a slug.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
And I have used the search button a lot, but I think I have read so much that it all blended together, and I don't remember the pros and cons. I am still searching as I am waiting on posts

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I can see reading so much stuff at one time that it overloads your mind and it all just scrambles together. Did that with my F-150!! LOL. No worries. We are here to answer whatever questions you might have.

Just make sure you have guages before you get a chip on the truck. Modifying the fueling characteristics will raise the EGTs and obviously we want to keep an eye on that. Get you a good downpipe and 4" exhaust to get that out of the way.

The stock HPOP is fine until you decide to upgrade injectors. At that point you will need to get a better HPOP.

The stock turbo is good for up to stage 2 injectors. Stage 2's will kill the stock turbo over time depending on how heavy your foot is.

The stock fuel system will handle stage 2 injectors, but an electric fuel system is always a nice upgrade.

An intercooler will help also to lower EGTs and may give you a couple horsepower also.

Just stick with us, we are here for when you get a little confused. We will have you melting tires in no time!

Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 AM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Ok i have ordered a chip and a downpipe and a set of gauges for now and then I will go from here, I need to finish up with my 5spd swap, and install this stuff, and then save a few more $$

Quick Reply: Performance upgrade questions