Sponsored by: Moser

73 HIBOY

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM
myklstrng
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
73 HIBOY

ive got a 73 hiboy and its somewhat a basket case. i ripped out the aftermarket wiring harness that was halfway done when I bought it and found a real clean harness from the junkyard. heres the problem. I cant figure out which wires go to the coil/ignition module and the truck wont start. I had a buddy detach the wires... in question off the junkyard truck while i detached the harness from under the dash. he told me the wires were rigged very poorly and couldnt tell where they were taken off of. so now ive got 5 wires that stem off the main harness leading into the motor from the firewall. one of the wires is brown and actually starts from the "I" side of the starter relay then goes up to the firewall and flows into the smaller harness and is part of the 5 wires. I thought that brown wire should go through the firewall to the ignition because when i apply power to that wire it engages the starter.Of the other 4 wires in question one is faded red or salmon colored and has the word resistor printed on it. it seems to be the same gauge but its coating is thicker and it has 12 volts running through when the key is in the on position and the start position. I figured this wire might supply power to the coil/ignition... module but im not sure how. The ignition module is made by Allison electronics who I cant seem to find schematics for nor can I contact them when I try there phone number. There is 4 wires coming out of the module 1 for the distributor(gray) and then red, black and purple. the red and black are grouped together and so are the purple and gray.but the purple wire has a sticker on it then says "GROUND" What im wondering is, since the truck has been converted to electronic ignition is there a direct feed of power supplied to the coil or the ignition module? if the purple wire is labeled ground does that mean it goes to the negative side of the coil or to the motor or frame? then what about the red and black? I have to put power to the module somehow right? I can send pics but im betting if someone has a 73 converted to electronic ignition they could help me quite a bit. Oh by the way the other 3 wires in question i think are for the oil and temp sending units. the last wire is blue with a black stripe and its still got a big question mark on it...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
John in AZ
Senior User
If we dont work today I can come over & see what we can figure out

Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 AM
myklstrng
Senior User
Ok sounds good. I'm gonna stop by lopers sometime today to see what modules they have. I'd like to put the ford one in, any idea if ford still sells them?