Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the board. need some help and direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
doinfroggy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the board. need some help and direction

just pick up a 1988 f250hd 351 4x4

i will be using the truck to pull, at most, 10k trailer and equipment and then of course a little bit of off road fun. i have searched on here and have found ALOT of useful information. i bet if i read every post i would find evey answer for every problem but i am not that patient

1) Fuel gauge not operating. with fuel in the tank, the gauge stays below empty. if i hit a bump the gauge bounces all over the place. i believe its the sending unit but i would like opinions before i go tearing apart the truck when its a loose connection or something easy.

2) Water temp gauge. it has never moved from cold. i have put a new thermostat, checked the sensor, grounded the temp wire and the gauge never moved. took cluster apart and the electrical mechanism behind the panel is purple. is the gauge bad or something else??

3) Speedometer not working. i have tracked that down to the plastic gear on the cable end going into transfere case, and i also believe the gear inside the transfere case is bad. where can i buy both plastic gears and how hard is it to change the one inside the transfere case?

4) Leaf springs. from what research i did, i have found out that the f350 springs (certain models) have 6 or more leafs. i am wanting to add those if i can find them. i know it might be over kill but i would rather have too much than not enough. has anyone done this and what are the pros/cons?

i would appreciate any and all help