Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Junior User

RacerLT250R is starting off with a positive reputation.
ZF6 Clutch Issues...

i think i broke my clutch fork or throwout bearing. No bad sounding noises have developed yet but truck creeps in gear with clutch peddle fully depressed and is nearly impossible to get in first or reverse to start from a stop. i have to upshift and downshift matching RPM and Speed perfectly. i pulled the slave out of the trans and the plastic cap is still there. a measurement from clutch fork to outside of trans was 2 7/16 inches. should the clutch fork flop around easily up and down and front to back?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

1997 F150 SC SB XLT 4x4, 4.6L, Auto Tanny - Muffler Delete

1996 F250 SC LB XL 4x4, 7.3 PSD, Auto Tranny, 400,000 + miles - 3.5" Straight Pipe
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
If your fork is bent, it's not bent enough to cause the problems you're seeing.

Click the image to open in full size.

How does the pedal feel? Is the fluid in thy hydraulics full? Is there a chance your firewall is cracked or weak and the firewall is flexing at the master and not allowing the slave to extend far enough?

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Junior User

RacerLT250R is starting off with a positive reputation.
the peddle feel changed just before i noticed the problems... it felt like the clutch only partially disengages ... almost like i need more travel but the peddle is already on the floor. i replaced the slave and master 20k miles ago ... i will go check the fliud level. thanks

1997 F150 SC SB XLT 4x4, 4.6L, Auto Tanny - Muffler Delete

1996 F250 SC LB XL 4x4, 7.3 PSD, Auto Tranny, 400,000 + miles - 3.5" Straight Pipe
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Posting Guru

TinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerLT250R View Post
i think i broke my clutch fork or throwout bearing....

truck creeps in gear with clutch peddle fully depressed and is nearly impossible to get in first or reverse
That sounds a lot like what my clutch/transmission did. It was almost like the tranny fluid had been replaced with peanut butter. Very difficult to shift from one gear to another. Only mine was from first to second... on the same rail in the transmission.

Mine ended up being a cracked syncromesh gear and worn out clutch. But ultimately the cracked syncro was the hard shifting problem.

Search for a post that I started about my transmission troubles. I think I included pictures of the crack and other carnage...

2001 F350, CC, Lariat, 4x4, SRW, 7.3 PSD, long bed, 6 speed, K & N intake and filter, air bags, Powerslot rotors, Hawk LTS pads, Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, foil delete, Moog ball joints, HPX, FRX, RiffRaff boots and plenum inserts, AIH delete, factory rear sway bar, Marinco plug. 110K
Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Posting Guru

Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Look at these links. This is a broken fork but you will not have any pedal. The old and new pic was posted by one of the other great members on this site.
Old and New picture by Eddie__S - Photobucket
Broken Fork picture by Eddie__S - Photobucket
Late 01/99 F-350 XLT 7.3 EC DRW 4x4 6-speed 4:10, some common mods done. 6637 filter & Pete's Cover, Billet Grill,Muffler Delete,Stancore GPR,HPX,2 Pillar Pod Gauges,Swamps Hybrid Single Shot Injectors,DP Tuner NS,Modified Stock,Hi-Idle,80E,120R,140A,Foil Delete,CCV,AIH Delete,Garrett GTP38R BB Turbo with a 1.15 Housing, Valair Clutch. And more. Over 400HP BIG RED TRUCK - PAA#79 (SOLD)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.
I just change a clutch in a 2000 last Thursday with the same problem. one of the springs in the clutch disc came out and was trapped between the disc and pressure plate and was holding the diaphragm from moving enough to release.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Junior User

drewinator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
If your fork is bent, it's not bent enough to cause the problems you're seeing.

Click the image to open in full size.

How does the pedal feel? Is the fluid in thy hydraulics full? Is there a chance your firewall is cracked or weak and the firewall is flexing at the master and not allowing the slave to extend far enough?

Does this picture show a good or bad fork measurement? Is there any official measurement that will tell me if mine is bent? I'm probably going to drop the transmission in mine but i was curious if a measurement like this would give me an indication. Mine shifts fine when it is cold but after a good highway drive or hauling anything it gets warmed up and then is hard to shift into gears. We already replaced the master/slave with a prebled unit and that didn't help.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Elder User

LSO1123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds a lot like mine did when my synchros were bad. Except mine did some grinding when shifting. Like yours, mine was always worse once it warmed up.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
99, bent, clutch, early, f250, fluid, ford, fork, issues, problems, speed, trans, trucks, zf, zf6