Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to all
fordf250guy
Shift On The Fly Switch...

Hey Guys,I had to pull a guy out of a rut the other night,went to put it in 4Hi and nothing,no 4X4 light on the dash or anything,what is the likely cause...fuse maybe,I haven't had any other issues or messed with anything else for it to be a fuse though...thoughts.....It's bad because I had to use Aprils' Tahoe to pull the guy out...I wasn't happy about that but of course she got some jawboning rights for a while...LOL
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Postmaster

clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would check the fuse box under the dash, #28 loc.. 10A. Also check under the hood fuse box, #17 location, 30A.
Clint... Early 99, F350, 4X4, Auto, DRW, S-Cab, Gauges, Diablosport 60 HP, OilGuard, Tru-Cool 28K, 5% Biodiesel, Shell Synthetic 5w40, Western Diesel TurboRamAir, MagnaFlow Exhaust, SSHPX, CCV Mod, Fuel Line/Tank Mod., Speed Bleeders, Bilstiens....
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Also check the relays under the hood.

My 99 4Hi and 4Lo relays are in this box. I was having a problem going into 4Lo and cleaned all the spade connectors on the relays with emory cloth and it started shifting into 4Lo again.

Click the image to open in full size.

Can you hear the transfer case shift motor operate? If not check the connector at bottom driver side of transfer case.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to allschlepprock250 is a name known to all
fordf250guy
Nope, I can't hear anything engage,like the switch is just dead.I haven't used it in a while,but the last time I used it,it worked.
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Check what Clint and I have suggested and let us know what you find and we can go from there.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
How long is "a while"? Months? Years? I do Guzzle's auto hub maintenance annually, but then, here in CO, it gets a workout in the winter months!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Guns Dont Kill People..

fordf250guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
How long is "a while"? Months? Years? I do Guzzle's auto hub maintenance annually, but then, here in CO, it gets a workout in the winter months!
Hubs have only been on for a few months now,I used 4x4 back over the winter a few times,but not since.After b-fast I'm going out to check the fuses and relays,I'll post back what I find. Thanks guys...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Elder User

robs01f250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your vacuum lines could be leaking causing your hubs not to lock in.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Guns Dont Kill People..

fordf250guy
Ok guys,I think I figured it out.

Notice relays A&B,I was told buy a dealer(I know,this is what started it),that these two relay slots were for the charge line for my TT,so I bought these two relays and put them in and I guess the charge line wasd working this summer while towing.Well,after reading the replies from here I go out and switch relays A&B, with relays C&D,checked my SOTF switch and it works.Obviously A&B are for the SOTF,but are the other two for the charge line?,if not what are they for?......Thoughts...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Guns Dont Kill People..

fordf250guy
OH boy,sorry guys,I have both sets marked A&B,C&D are the ones to the right...GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
1/8 mile Oval Track

crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.
Is your power windows working? After you check the fuses and if the are ok,maybe a wire came off the back? Reason I ask about the windows,when my GEM fried, it wouldn't light up for the 4x4 either. I also had a wire to pull out of the plug before is the reason I mention that also. Hope its something simple and easy to fix.
Scott PAA #60 2000 F250 7.3 Lariat Auto 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I love each and everyone of y'all.
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Support FTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
Ok guys,I think I figured it out.

Notice relays A&B,I was told buy a dealer(I know,this is what started it),that these two relay slots were for the charge line for my TT,so I bought these two relays and put them in and I guess the charge line wasd working this summer while towing.Well,after reading the replies from here I go out and switch relays A&B, with relays C&D,checked my SOTF switch and it works.Obviously A&B are for the SOTF,but are the other two for the charge line?,if not what are they for?......Thoughts...
Phil,

The ones closest to the firewall come with the trailer tow package.
They are for trailer batt charge and I belive trailer back up lights

The ones toward front of truck are for ESOF. These relays should have two sets of contacts in them, one make and one break.
The ones for trailer tow only have make contacts. You can't swap them.

Both ESOF relays in my truck are FOAB-14B192-AA.

Bottom side of relays.

The ESOF relays have 5 posts. When relay operates contact 87a opens and contact 87 closes.

The trailer tow relays only have 4 posts. There is no 87a.

There should be a schematic right on the relay showing the contact arrangement.

The five post relay will work in place of the 4 post, but the 4 post will
not work in place of a 5 post if the break contact is used in the circuit.

Hope I haven't confused you.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

fordf250guy
Sorry for taking so long to post back guys,I just got back in town a few mins. ago.Thanks for the help,so can I switch the two relays closest to the firewall with the other two,I know the ESOF will work because I switched them and it worked,but will the other two relays work right for the trailer towing?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Support FTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
Sorry for taking so long to post back guys,I just got back in town a few mins. ago.Thanks for the help,so can I switch the two relays closest to the firewall with the other two,I know the ESOF will work because I switched them and it worked,but will the other two relays work right for the trailer towing?
They should Phil. All you need are two relays with just make contacts.
In other words the 4 post relays should work for trailer tow relays.
5 posts will work as well if the trailer toe relay socket has 5 female sockets.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Just one year at a time..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Robin has your answer.

The relays shown in the ESOF "doghouse" are SPST relays, which should be SPDT.

IF the Trailer-tow package relays are SPDT, and you swap them for the ESOF ones, everything should work afterward.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 AM