Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cant get my 00 f-450 to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The Snap On Scanner will do this but it needs to have the domestic combination vehicle communication software installed. You can go to the Snap-On website for more info. There is an 800 number for technical support, you will need your serial number of your scanner for them to help you determine if you have the correct software installed. That software contains the Expanded Ford Powerstroke coverage for Buzz test, CCT etc.

There are tech guides on the Snap-On website that explains how to use the features.

Wish I could be of more help but I am just familiar with AE and don't know too much about other scanners. When I connect using my AE, I have to choose "Enhanced Ford" to get the extra features. Do you get any choices when you connect? If so, you might scroll down and see if you see anything that says "Power Stroke" or "Expanded Ford" or something similar.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 PM
renan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, im going to try to figure that out tomorrow.. I wish i knew about this buzz test this morning because i ended up taking the HPOP out today ... i did a few test and noticed that i was getting no oil to the cylinder head at all.. alot of oin in the resevoir but nothing almost zero pressure on the cylinder head .. so i guessed that my high pressure pump went out ...

I took the HPOP out and took it apart , i noticed there was alot of very small pieces of metal in the inside so im guess the pump did go out ... What you think ? If not then i did all this work for nothing plus the money i will be spending for the new HPOP

Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I think we need to see some photos.
I can't say that I've ever looked inside the HPOP so I have no clue what to expect in there. Little pieces of metal sounds problematic though....

The only little piece that I know about is the check ball behind the 'non-serviceable plug".

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
I think we need to see some photos.
I can't say that I've ever looked inside the HPOP so I have no clue what to expect in there.
I can't stand the thought of you being cluless so open the PDF.

Bits of metal certainly do not sound good. Never took one apart but have drained a few and never got any bits of metal. Traces of wear metal would be expected.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
High Pressure Oil Pump Woes.pdf (164.9 KB, 346 views)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
renan
Freshman User
i mean i had no idea what else to check, and my thoughts were that if im not getting oil to the cylinder head i my IPR is bad or my HPOP.. since my IPR is new i only had the HPOP left so i decided to take it out and have a look at it. So you are saying the my HPOP might not be the problem ?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by renan
... So you are saying the my HPOP might not be the problem ?
Not any more. If you took it apart then you probably should replace it. You may have found your problem but I wonder how many other parts are damaged when a HPOP fails. Maybe the metal pieces came from somewhere else and ended up in the pump? That's why I was hoping for pics.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 PM
renan
Freshman User
Well im sure the little pieces are from HPOP, i noticed that the cylinder inside the pump was kind of damged, like large scratches if you know what i mean , i dont think by having that damages the pump would still be good to make enough pressure because as far as i know they arent supposet to have any kind of leaks or anything inside , correct ?... i can try to take pics but the metal pieces are too small it wont be able to see them on the camera... but maybe if i take from the cylinder i was talking about you guys will probably be able to see what i am talking about...

What other parts you think could have gone bad because of this ? I know the lower pump the 60psi one is good still , its pumping oil up to the reservoir pretty good..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

What other parts you think could have gone bad because of this ? I know the lower pump the 60psi one is good still , its pumping oil up to the reservoir pretty good..
Little pieces of metal in the HPOP would also mean little pieces in the IPR and injectors most likely. Is this your truck? Where you having any symptoms prior to the no start condition? How many miles on the engine?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I can't stand the thought of you being cluless so open the PDF.

Bits of metal certainly do not sound good. Never took one apart but have drained a few and never got any bits of metal. Traces of wear metal would be expected.
Thank you Robin.
Very interesting reading. I had the HPOP in my "Madonna's Dressing Room" file. (things I was curious about but never really wanted to see in person).
Where were you when I wanted to take my injectors apart?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
renan
Freshman User
Well i have a mechanic shop but i only work with gasoline cars .. i bought this truck as our towing truck , and there are like 324k on it... engine has been re-done before but i called last owner he said that the guy who rebuilt the engine told him to replace the HPOP but he decided to keep the old one .. so yea now im the lucky one that is going to have to replace..

i have a pic of the truck on my account somewhere just dont know how to post it here so you can see it

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM
renan
Freshman User
let me see if i can find a way to post the pic here..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM
renan
Freshman User

here it is .. well like i said there is like 364miles on it ... and we use as our tow truck for the business ..

I guess the only way for me to find out if any metal piece messed up the injectors will be after i get the truck to start right ? or what?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
Thank you Robin.
Very interesting reading. I had the HPOP in my "Madonna's Dressing Room" file. (things I was curious about but never really wanted to see in person).
Where were you when I wanted to take my injectors apart?
Lurking here on the forum in anticipation of your post.

I hope I never have to do an autopsy of my HPOP, but I hoped the same thing about my Turbonetics.

That HPOP Woes PDF I converted from a website. I can't get to the site anymore, the link no longer works. I'm glad I made the PDF. I've been doing that more often with really good or interesting sites because I have seen a few disappear or the links break.

I figure that PDF will find a nice home in your binder.

Sorry for the Hijack renan.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

here it is .. well like i said there is like 364miles on it ... and we use as our tow truck for the business ..

I guess the only way for me to find out if any metal piece messed up the injectors will be after i get the truck to start right ? or what?
I suppose that is a fair statement. At this point I don't think there is any harm in replacing the HPOP, cleaning out the IPR and see if the engine starts.

If you haven't done so already...I recommend you read this thread. Installing the HPOP can be a bit tricky.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...placement.html

This should help you out as well.

Attached Images
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I figure that PDF will find a nice home in your binder.
You are a wise man my friend.
That binder has developed a reputation in the neighborhood already. I'll show it to Tom this weekend.

Quick Reply: cant get my 00 f-450 to start