Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
fordguy55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid

Just looking for some good advice. I want to change the tranny fluid in my "02 Sport Trac. Is there any reason why I should not do this myself? The dealer wants $180 to flush it without dropping the pan and replacing the filter. Said a filter change is not necessary when they back flush it. Really? Why would they not replace the filter? Anyway, I can't see any reason why I couldn't drop the pan and replace the filter myself unless someone here knows why I should not. I still have a dipstick on this model for refilling. Advice ia always appreciated.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dropping the pan and replacing the filter is a must. The dealer doesn't care if your trans fails. Backflushing is bad, I'm appalled that they do that. The proper technique is to drop the pan, replace the filter, inspect the pan and filter for anything abnormal, clean the pan, reinstall everything, refill, then proceed with pumping the rest of the old fluid out through the cooler lines. If you pump out a quart at a time, then add another quart, it should take around a total of 12 quarts to completely get the old fluid out and refill your system. Then reconnect everything, drive it around the block. Check for leaks and recheck the fluid level and top off or drain out as needed. Recheck everything in a week. Make sure you use Mercon V fluid (not a fluid listed as Mercon compatible or multi transmission formula, get a specific Mercon V.)

Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
fordguy55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was explained to me that dropping the pan and draining the fluid only vacates about 40 percent of the tranny fluid. What do I know? I have to take the service writers word for it. I specifically asked if the torque converter is flushed as well and he said yes. Hmmm... I thought the converter is a completely separate sealed unit. Yes? Anyway, a backyard mechanic, like myself, doesn't have the equipment to pump out the old fluid. My Ford factory CD manual only shows the flushing process with their equipment but it also shows the filter change proceedure. Wonder why they don't recommend this unless, like you say, they hope for the worst so you show up needing a new tranny. The dealers process would sound better if it included a new filter. I suppose I could insist but that would likely be another $100.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please read the sticky, you do not need any equipment to pump out the old fluid, nor should you use any special equipment to pump out the old fluid. Your transmission already has a pump, just use that one.

I get my fluid and filter changed at a tranny shop for about $180. If you get the fluid and filter replaced often enough, it doesn't matter if old fluid is left in there. The recommended interval is 30,000 miles. Its only when it has been left longer than that when you need to get it flushed.

The procedure to pump out the old fluid (easier if you have a helper) is to disconnect the return line (If you follow the lines under the front, it is the line that does not go from the radiator to the cooler. It is the other line out of the cooler. You just disconnect it wherever it is convenient, then place a catch pan. When you turn on the engine, the pump which is connected to the input shaft in the trans, will start pumping. Just pump out a quart at a time so you don't get air mixed in too much. Keep doing this until about 7 quarts has been pumped out with this method or until definitely new fluid is coming out. You will already have added 4 or 5 quarts of new fluid to the trans itself. Some old and new gets mixed in the torque converter.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i drop the pan, clean the crud, wipe off the valve body, change the filter, bolt the pan back on and add 5 quarts of NEW MERCON every 30k miles. Dont even bother with whats in the converter (7 more quarts). Your constant add of new oil every 30k (about 2 years) is enough to keep it fresh and clean.