Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Ultra-gauge on 2005 Ex 6.0, trouble reading ODBII

My new ultra-gauge stops reading a number of sensors once I start
the engine. Even with the latest FW with a new mod for the 6.0
they are still having issues reported. I've worked with their support to
try to resolve my issue, but they are gettting other reports as well
from F250/F350 6.0 owners.

I'm going to return the unit for a refund, but was wondering if
anyone has had any problems with other electronic ODBII readers in
the '05 6.0 (Ex, F250, F350) models.

No need to go buy an Insight CTS if it'll have issues ready the
sensors too.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Most all 6.0 owners of the UltraGauge are having the same problems. They have issued a recall from most all Ford diesel owners to update the units. Mine will go in the end of the month when my towing season is over. I use the UG mainly for the ECT readout.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
I'm thinking that that is specific to the unit that you have. I haven't heard of issues like that with others that read through the OBD-II port. Of course, I would need to know what sensors you are talking about as they may be sensors that I'm not using for my digital readout either.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
If I leave the key in the "run" position (w/o actually starting the engine) the same sets of sensors stop reporting after about 10 seconds.

* fuel level (and thus all the MPG related gauges)
* intake air temp
* intake air pressure ABS
* MAP sensor
* EGR % error

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the UG firmware, vs. my ODBII.
I just wanted to here from someone that these things work using
something else before I go and buy another gauge setup.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
If I leave the key in the "run" position (w/o actually starting the engine) the same sets of sensors stop reporting after about 10 seconds.

* fuel level (and thus all the MPG related gauges)
* intake air temp
* intake air pressure ABS
* MAP sensor
* EGR % error

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the UG firmware, vs. my ODBII.
I just wanted to here from someone that these things work using
something else before I go and buy another gauge setup.

I don't use EGR% error or Intake ABS sensor, so I can't say one way or the other on those.

I use Fuel Level % all the time on the DashDAQ without issue. I haven't used the last two in the longest time though.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Most all 6.0 owners of the UltraGauge are having the same problems. They have issued a recall from most all Ford diesel owners to update the units. Mine will go in the end of the month when my towing season is over. I use the UG mainly for the ECT readout.
I couldn't find any postings on FTE about any problems related to UG.
The UG website indicated the latest FW fixed the MPG related sensors.
They have since added the 6.0 to the compatibility issue list.

UG Support was pretty forthcoming about lots of complaints re the issues with 6.0, so I'll be able to get my $$$ back and have to pick out an insight model now. I like the new units with up to 8 readings on the page.
Plus support of external sensor(s) ie: Fuel Pressure (someday?)
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
Plus support of external sensor(s) ie: Fuel Pressure (someday?)
That should be forthcoming by the end of the year or early next year.

I do know the dashdaq already supports external sensors though.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Senior User

amgpro2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From UG support site:

MPG Sensor Error

Description:
Many or all of the various MPG gauges display "Err" or nonsensical values. Other gauges such as RPM, MPH, Engine Temp, display correctly. This is a common issue on Ford F250 and F350 Diesels.

FIX:

If your UltraGauge version, MENU--> UltraGauge Setup --> Version, is 9/14/10 or later,
please set the "Force MPG sensor" to "MAP".
This is set at: MENU --> Vehicle Setup --> Force MPG sensor.

If your UltraGauge version is prior to 9/14/10, please create a support ticket.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
New User

Bones3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had the same problem. I sent it back to ultra-gauge for the update. When I got it back, same problem as Misky6.0. I'm going to try to send mine back for a refund.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgpro2 View Post
From UG support site:

FIX:

If your UltraGauge version, MENU--> UltraGauge Setup --> Version, is 9/14/10 or later,
please set the "Force MPG sensor" to "MAP".
This is set at: MENU --> Vehicle Setup --> Force MPG sensor.

If your UltraGauge version is prior to 9/14/10, please create a support ticket.
Yes, that is what it says. I just bought a unit with the latest FW
(with the "Force MPG sensor") and did the above setup and it didn't
work. Interestingly, it's "more" than just MPG calculations.
My "intake air temp", "intake Manifold ABS PSI", and "fuel level"
also stop reading after about 10 seconds (with key in the run, but
engine not started position).

Not trying to argue, just letting you know I worked WITH their support and tried lots of different things they requested to try to get it to work.
They would really like to get a vehicle with the 6.0 to investigate the problem, so they can fix it.

I was really trying to keep the UG, I like the display and the price point
is fabulous. I guess I'll be getting a DashDaq for Christmas
(with GPS)

UG support has updated the "know compatibility issues" document
as follows:
(taken directly from their web-site)
1996-present Ford F250 and F350 Diesels may not support fuel and mileage gauges.. There is no clear pattern. Some work, others do not.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, address, company, deisels, f350, ford, gauge, guage, sensor, specifications, temperature, truck, ultra, ultragauge, work