1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

metalworking workshop(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
metalworking workshop(s)

I now have space and tools available to me to do one or more metal working workshops at a place in Raleigh near the airport called TechShop. www.techshoprdu.com

The first one would be a metal shaping workshop where I would cover creating compound curves with basic hand tools such as mallet and sandbag, planishing (body) hammer and dolly including stretching and shrinking, and smoothing by planishing. And then show how the same tasks can also be done using some machines and power tools such as power planisher, shrinking and stretching machines and shrinking disk. The emphasis will be on forming patch panels and dent removal. Student will do hands on work. additional techniques would be demonstrated depending on time and student interest, such as wood die forming, working over a buck and dividing a complex form into managable parts

I need 2 to 4 students to make this a reality. The class would run from 10-6:30 on Sat and 10- 2 on Sunday, and cost $380.00. Transportation to and from your hotel and TechShop and lunch would be included. A Saturday evening dutch treat dinner, drinks and discussion at a local restaurant can be arranged.
I would like to do this as soon as possible. PM me if seriously interested indicating what weekend(s) would be prefered.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Bump! Isn't anyone interested? What can I do to make it more appealing, beside make it free? I can't do that, I have to pay TechShop for the use of their space and equipment.
Is there some other area of metalwork you would rather see covered?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like a great chance to learn something. Wish it was near me and had the spare time.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is a great idea, but I can't afford the class fee plus travel expense and hotel fee's and eats. Maybe when things pick up and I work some OT.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Like the others, I'd love to come learn from you.. but distance makes this not possible..

Sam

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
There are some pretty inexpensive flights into RDU, check Southwest airlines and Travelocity, I can find an inexpensive hotel. I can provide a continental breakfast and lunch so y'all would only have one meal to cover, and we have plenty of inexpensive local and chain restaurants to select from where you can get a good meal and a couple beers for < 20.00.
All together it would cost less than having one fender straightened.
Lakotas, AL is not a long drive to NC.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I might be interested. 6 hours away. Do you need a "specimen" to practice on? My 50 has plenty of dents. Just about any weekend except Halloween or Thanksgiving would be cool for me.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post this up on MetalMeet.com

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
I might be interested. 6 hours away. Do you need a "specimen" to practice on? My 50 has plenty of dents. Just about any weekend except Halloween or Thanksgiving would be cool for me.
If you drive your truck here, we can use it as a class practice subject. If it has rust we can form repair panel(s). I'd rather work on real sheetmetal than dummy panels. I would need you here a day early so I can see your truck to be sure it is a viable subject for the class, do any prep work needed.
Just need one more commitment to make this a go...

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a great idea but I think it sounds more intermediate or advanced considering my skills. Instead of making panels I would be satisfied on how to correctly install some of the cab corners / patch panels I can order from Dennis carpenter and such. I'm sure I could pick up some of this by trial and error but that can be expensive too. A weekend in the dead of winter would be appealing. Maybe you should consider a 101 and 201 level workshop.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Sounds like a great idea but I think it sounds more intermediate or advanced considering my skills. Instead of making panels I would be satisfied on how to correctly install some of the cab corners / patch panels I can order from Dennis carpenter and such. I'm sure I could pick up some of this by trial and error but that can be expensive too. A weekend in the dead of winter would be appealing. Maybe you should consider a 101 and 201 level workshop.
Trust me I would be starting with assuming 0 student knowlege and skills. By the end of class you will be able to make (or remake to fit) your own patch panels. It's not "rocket surgery" (as one well known lady tattoo artist is prone to say) it's metal shaping 101 and when you see how it's done and bend some metal yourself you'll be pleased with your new found skills. I'd be glad to do a more advanced class after this one if there is interest.

Unfortunately my own truck is rust free.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AX...good info for metal mashing newbies. Kudos to you. I've attended a few metal shaping gatherings in my area, even though I'm a seasoned metal shaper, I've picked up alot of great information from others...usually easier ways to do things or great ideas for tools.

For the guys that don't know how to properly install pre-made patch panels or want to learn how to do it, any class or gathering you attend will not only show you the proper procedure to install these patch panels, but will show you how the patch panel is made, how to prep your patch area, how to fit the repair panel, how to weld, how to metal finish, etc. You'll walk away with more knowledge than you ever thought possible and you'll be hip to the RIGHT way to do repairs, and you will never use bondo or fiberglass again. I highly suggest anyone wanting to learn the basics of metal working, or learn more advanced metal fabrication try to find a local metal shaping workshop or meeting in your area such as AXracer is hosting.

Keep in mind...anyone who can shape sheetmetal, is a true craftsman, and has the knowledge and ability to shape ANY metal, like structural/chassis, etc. So if you want to learn how to do something thicker than sheetmetal, this is also a great way to learn the basic principles of metal working.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
19fifty4, you are in NC, bring one of your rusty fenders and I'll show the class how to fix it.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
There are some pretty inexpensive flights into RDU, check Southwest airlines and Travelocity, I can find an inexpensive hotel. I can provide a continental breakfast and lunch so y'all would only have one meal to cover, and we have plenty of inexpensive local and chain restaurants to select from where you can get a good meal and a couple beers for < 20.00.
All together it would cost less than having one fender straightened.
Lakotas, AL is not a long drive to NC.
For me its not the money.. its the time.. this work 'everyday' thing

sam

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Sam, everyone need/deserves a couple days of vacation now and then. All work makes Jack dull and sluggish.

Quick Reply: metalworking workshop(s)