2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveled Front End Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
pcavender
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveled Front End Issue

I leveled the front end with strut extensions from 4 wheel parts about 2 years ago. I have an issue today with the lower control arms digging into my knuckles as well as pulling an IWE due to the axle angles. Why would this be an issue after 2 years? Anybody else experience this? What solutions have you performed? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 AM
svtman1998
Junior User
I lifted mine with the 2.5" strut spacers 10-12k ago and my tierods are junk and the balljoints arent far behind. The strut spacers are putting alot of extra stress/angle on all of the suspension parts. My lower control arms are also gouged pretty bad at the steering stops also.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 AM
pcavender
New User
What is a good altternative to level the front end without putting the steering and suspension parts under stress?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
svtman1998
Junior User
If I knew I would do it. I would have to say a full 4" lift with the lower control arm drop bracket and the longer knuckles to correct the upper control arms & tie rod angle.

I dont know if this answers you question, but I in the same boat at this piont. I think its just time to get the job done and buy the full 4" ranco lift or something similar! I will not be replaceing all the suspension parts every 12k.

The only way I can see helping is the tierods could be flipped to the top of the knuckle to correct the angle, but this would include redrilling the tappered hole out and finding a straight thread tierod to replace them with. This would only fix one of the four problems though!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I put a 2" AutoSpring kit on mine about 18K miles ago and I'm starting to notice a little front end noise too. I'm not sure yet, but I may put her back to stock if its going to mean I've got to replace ball joints every 20K miles. I also need new leather on the side of the drivers seat from having to "slide" out of the seat rather than stepping out of the seat

Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I cannot believe this came up. Just last week I noticed a horrible squeek/grinding noise coming from the front when the suspension flexed and when I steered side to side. I could reproduce the sound by pressing down with force on the front end of the truck. A couple friends climbed underneath and said it seemed like it was coming from the ball joints. I too installed a 2.5" Hell Bent leveling kit and was told 3" and up you see alot of problems, But not with any of the 2" kits. Its been about 20,000 miles since the install. I pumped mine with a needle greaser and some Kroil spray. It went away a little but its still annoing. I did not look for any parts that are wore down and I know my bearings are fine.

I am not glad you guys are having problems, But its nice to see I am not the only one. Whats the solution and how easy are ball joints to replace?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 PM
svtman1998
Junior User
From what I have researched you have to replace the whole damn control arm (upper and lower)!!! I cant beleive that no one makes a replacement ball joint, but I havent found one yet.

IF ANYONE KNOW'S WERE TO FIND A REPLACEMENT JOINT, WITHOUT REPLACING THE UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS PLEASE SAY SOMETHING.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 AM
magnet1
Senior User
Auto Parts Warehouse online carries the lower ball joint replacement, But the upper only comes with the arm. I would have to think the arms can be pressed out somehow because there is no way they can cast that piece with the ball joint in it. I am either thinking of a whole new lift kit, Or rebuilding the original arms when I take them out for spares in another 20,000 miles.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...me:Ball+Joints)

Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
pcavender
New User
I am taking my truck to the shop that installed the strut extensions. They want to look at it because they claim this has never been an issue in the past. I currently do not have to replace the control arms. I am more worred about eh IWE Code for the axles. I have asked them for a solution and they will provide only after they see the vehicle. I will update later today.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
pcavender
New User
Visited the shop that installed the strut extensions for me. There is no issue with my lower control arms ball joints, etc. The noise I am hearing is the steering stops hitting and working properly. They actually engage at a different angle due to the level kit and that is why they make a noise.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 AM
cmbroo1
Senior User
Well Great!! I just ordered a 2.5 lift for mine. I better not install it until I hear back on this thread! This is a first for me, as well, hearing about the ball joints and anything going wrong up front.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 AM
magnet1
Senior User
There doesn't seem to be a happy medium as far as price goes between a leveling kit and a 4" suspension kit with arms and drop down brackets. Not quite sure if I want to make the jump.

I am not trying to highjack the thread, But if I would take the leveling kit out that is causing all the ball joint stress and problems; What brand lift kit for 4" would you guys suggest? And would it look ok with my upgraded 285's on it?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Sako 75
Senior User
For what it's worth:

I installed 2.5" Topguncustomz strut extensions about 2 1/2 years ago. I have put about 95,000 miles on the truck since the install. The only issue is a bit of wear on the steering stops. Have not had the front end aligned since the day I installed the kit. There is a bit of toe-in wear on the right front tire ( tires have 74,000 miles on them).

Miles are 70% highway, 15% city, 15% mild off-road.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Subscribing.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
pcavender
New User
Originally Posted by magnet1
There doesn't seem to be a happy medium as far as price goes between a leveling kit and a 4" suspension kit with arms and drop down brackets. Not quite sure if I want to make the jump.

I am not trying to highjack the thread, But if I would take the leveling kit out that is causing all the ball joint stress and problems; What brand lift kit for 4" would you guys suggest? And would it look ok with my upgraded 285's on it?
I do not know enough about Lift Kits to receommend one. Sorry. I can tell you that I have 315s on with just the 3" strut extensions and it works well.

I am changing my setup. I have 70,000 miles and I need to replace struts and shocks so I am going with the Rancho Quick Lift Strut and I will raise the front 2" which should help some with the stress on the front suspension. I am then taking it back to my mechanic and they are going to complete the diagnostics on the C1979 code they pulled and improperly diagnosed. This code has to do with the IWE Soliniod and not the axles. After that I should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Leveled Front End Issue