1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can anyone hlep me out. Auto Transmission Won't Go!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can anyone hlep me out. Auto Transmission Won't Go!

Automatic transmission in 4x4 truck.

Drove the truck last on Thursday night. No issues. Plan was to leave today on a trip (pulling my 5th wheel) to Toledo, Ohio for one week, up into Michigan for the weekend, and then to St. Louis for one week. This is a work trip and I will still be going, just doesn't look like I am going with my truck and camper.

A little low on transmission fluid on Thursday night. I added about a pint.

I got in the truck this morning to go to a meeting. I am parked on a little hill, so backing down the hill felt normal. I put it into drive (I came to a complete stop), let off of the brake, and kept going backwards. My neighbor stopped and pulled me around in my driveway to get me straightened up and in a parking spot that didn't block any of my other vehicles.

Fluid level is good (maybe a little over). Fluid was changed in April when I put in my 31 row 6.0 cooler. Temp was in the high 30's/low 40's here this morning. Fluid has no burnt smell. I have 185,000 miles on the truck and have noticed some slippage backing my camper (all 10K #'s of it). When I changed the fluid and filter in April, there were no chunks of material. It had gotten hot which is why I put the 6.0 cooler in it.

I have the switch on the dash for my 4x4 and I can hear it cycle when I change positions. The light on the dash shows 4x4.

I put my camping chokes behind the rear wheels.

I got under the truck to check for leaks. Dry underneath. No fluid where I was parked.

I moved the shifter to different locations and can see that the shifter mechanism is moving underneath.

Park works great. The Parking pawl is engaging and will hold the truck.

Truck doesn't sound bogged down when I put it into gear.

Is there some electrical "thing" to check?

Anyone help me out on this?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Hey Bobby,
I'm on auto expert by no means but it could be your TC????????????????
Hope not though.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
It could be, but I don't know how to tell. There is no noise (other talk about clunking noises).

I am still going on my trip, but not in the truck (and not with the camper).

Good to have it break in the driveway (hadn't even hooked it to the camper yet).

God was gracious to me on the location. He will also provide for the solution.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
derek0525
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the throttle still work when you push on it? Just because my truck did that but I didn't have any throttle and it was a fuse

Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Throttle works fine. Starts right up. Just won't go.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
try giving a call to Brian's Truck Shop and see if you can get him on the phone.He is an expert on the subject and a reeaalllly nice person.He has helped me and alot of others from here and he will have an answer to your problem.Also I know from first hand experience that HE WILL NOT try to sell you something you do not need.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Nothing to add other than if/when my trans goes, I'll remove it and send it to BTS from all the good I've heard about him!!

Good Luck!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is nothing electrical that will keep the trans from engaging a gear. If it won't engage something mechanical broke inside. Will it back up? Will it move with the shifter in 1 or 2?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:22 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
I will not move under power in any gear. I went in and out of 4x4 also.

No movement. I can see the gear lever on the side of the transmission moving. My thought was since the Parking pawl engaged in park, the internal mechanism must be moving inside. It rolls freely in any gear but park.

I have to travel all day today and won't be able to do anything until next Saturday.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The next step is to take the trans out and rebuild or replace it. It's done.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Glad that this died in the driveway. Even before I hooked up the 5th wheel.

I am going to call Brian today. I am in Toledeo this week, but will be going to St. Louis next week. From my house, he won't be that much out of the way for my trip to St. Louis.

Does anyone know how much the transmission weighs out of the truck (without the transfer case)? I am going to see if he can rebuild it while I am in St. Louis. I will have to pull the transmission this Saturday and carry it to him on the way. Maybe he can rebuild it or swap one with me and I can pick it up on the way back. I will have to carry it to him in something besides my truck, so weight may be an issue.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
From St.Louis to Lead Hill Ark. it is around a 5hr + drive. If you want your current trans overhauled you can call him for a shipping container and ship him yours that way and he will ship it back when done. It will take him most a day to overhaul your transmission. The very best option is to haul your truck to him to RR the works. No cost or problems taking it out or putting it in and he will be able to 'tune' it up to your liking while you are there and not have to mess with it at a later date if it is shifts (hardness/soft/shift times) in a way you would like to change. Also, what kind of crud went up in your cooler that needs to be removed. While I had mine in his shop, he drained and replaced the transfer case oil and told me, after the fact... no charge.

Give him a call for options, but the best is to get the truck to him.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
ghig1967
Elder User
I'm not sure about the weight, but Brian & Jeremy picked my tranny up (full of fluid) & hooked it onto the work bench by hand.. I'm guessing 200 - 300 lbs or so ?? But I agree with Les, if you can figure out a way.. its best to get it to Brian & let them do the whole job.. Its well worth the trip.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM
h2guy
Senior User
deleted. deleted.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like how my tranny died in my old '99 pickup - while I was pulling a 5th wheel. Just up and quit. I had to have it towed and replaced. You are fortunate to have it die in the driveway. Good Luck. Brian will take care of you.

Quick Reply: Can anyone hlep me out. Auto Transmission Won't Go!