6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What would cause bad turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would cause bad turbo lag?

I am taking my truck into the dealer again on monday. This thing has terrible turbo lag. The engine has to spin up to 1800 before any real power comes on. Then it just feels flat after that. What would cause turbo lag this bad with out any real smoking issues? I do get a little sooty smoke but not much.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
carboned up turbo
rusted turbo
bad VGT solenoid
worn unison ring
bad ebp sensor
maybe even fuel pressure, injectors, or FICM

Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what year you're talking about, but the late '06's and '07's have been programmed that way. The only way out of it is custom programming.

The problems that Mark lists only make it worse.

My '07 was woken up substantially by Gearhead Performance's Street Race Lite program.

-blaine

Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
Not sure what year you're talking about, but the late '06's and '07's have been programmed that way. The only way out of it is custom programming.

The problems that Mark lists only make it worse.

My '07 was woken up substantially by Gearhead Performance's Street Race Lite program.

-blaine
Good info Blaine.

I believe my tuned FICM took some lag out.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
I've been debating about whether or not to go that route too... Cheezit gave my FICM an excellent bill of health, so I'm not chomping at the bit to change it...

-blaine

Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
It's and 06...NOt in love with this sixxer..., Thanks for the info guys, this new truck is so different than my 7.3 i had. Big learning curve

Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I really like my 6.0L, but (as you said) I have to admit I like the simplicity of my 7.3L. I do not think I would have time to treat both trucks the same way I treat my 6.0L - LOL!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
You've not put any info into your profile about your truck, and I've been busy enough lately to forget your history with it so far...

Lag/power problems, in general, can also be attributed to insufficient fuel delivery. How long since the last filter change? Have you checked the fuel pressure?

If it's only driven once or twice per month, the turbo could be "stuck"; although if you're using it for your lawn business, I doubt that the turbo would be an issue.

-blaine

Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
I would like mine too if I could work out the egr issues and the turbo lag. I just don't know what direction to go in or how to get there. I have some warranty left but I feel like when I do go to the dealer they just don't find the real problem and wind up fixing a symptom.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Might be time to find another dealer, then.

Custom tunes would be your best bet at this point, I think. Just be up-front with anyone doing work on the truck when/if you need it. And getting a "stock" custom tune that specifically deals with your issues isn't hard to do.

-blaine

Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Might be right. I just have a hard time with the fact that I have to tune the truck to do what it should to begin with. I can't believe that this truck would have that much lag and be "normal". I never have been the truck guy that tunes or chips. I enjoy a unmolested truck. HA.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
I felt the same way... When pulling into traffic, the holes I needed for the Ford were at least as big as the holes for the Freightliner. The white-knuckle moments of the Ford idling across 3+ lanes of high-speed traffic was enough to break me out of the mindset. Warranty issues? MIGHT be a problem. T-boned in traffic? All but Guaranteed.

-blaine

Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
Might be right. I just have a hard time with the fact that I have to tune the truck to do what it should to begin with. I can't believe that this truck would have that much lag and be "normal". I never have been the truck guy that tunes or chips. I enjoy a unmolested truck. HA.
You need to take a ride up I-85 to Trucks Unlimited just south of Winston-Salem on old highway 52 and looks up a fellow named Scott (the owner). He'll give you an HONEST evaluation of your truck and what is or isn't wrong with it. He's been a Ford master tech for 20+ years and knows Ford diesels like the back of his hand.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
You need to take a ride up I-85 to Trucks Unlimited just south of Winston-Salem on old highway 52 and looks up a fellow named Scott (the owner). He'll give you an HONEST evaluation of your truck and what is or isn't wrong with it. He's been a Ford master tech for 20+ years and knows Ford diesels like the back of his hand.
Know the area well, I hope he is near Lexington...I can get lunch at Speedys.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:11 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
You've not put any info into your profile about your truck, and I've been busy enough lately to forget your history with it so far...

Lag/power problems, in general, can also be attributed to insufficient fuel delivery. How long since the last filter change? Have you checked the fuel pressure?

If it's only driven once or twice per month, the turbo could be "stuck"; although if you're using it for your lawn business, I doubt that the turbo would be an issue.

-blaine
The truck is a 2006 crew cab 250 fx4 lariat. 75k on the odo. stock truck no mods. Several egr valves and one egr cooler, Intake cooked out at last trip to the dealer. I tow everyday with this truck and run it like it should. Take great care of the fluids and do all the maintenance.

Quick Reply: What would cause bad turbo lag?