Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High Idol Set Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Idol Set Up Question

I have been thinking about doing the high idol mod for a while now. I am curious on one thing. I use water trucks quite often when i build tracks. I have used several F-550s and so on that have the high idol built in. Heres how it works......

1. put in netural
2. apply parking brake
3. apply gas pedal to reach designated rpm range
4. turn cruse control on and set
5. let off gas pedal and it will stay at the rpm range selected
6. from here you can accell or decell using the cruse paddles on the wheel
7. select off or tap brake pedal the shut the idol off

I know thats alot but just how it works. Im curious if anyone has done the high idol this way or if you can. To me seems like there must be a sensor or something that only allows the cruze to work in drive and going over 30mph. If there is a way to bypass the sensor allowing the cruse to work in netural at 0mph it should work in theory. I just dont know too much on this topic and if this is something that i could make work because obviously it dose work on the f-550 water trucks with auto trans.
Anything helps i just think this would be a awesome trick todo instead of a switch or **** set-up

Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about the larger trucks but I have an '02 F350 and I put an aux idle control on it. It is a relay logic device. Two relays, a dash panel switch to activate it and a reostat I bought from radio shack. The wires are tied in to the foot pedal reostat and the E-Brake on the other end. The E-brake has a switch incorporated in to it to illuminate the dash brake warning light. The relays go to ground through the E-Brake switch. To operate it you have to set the E-Brake, turn the dash switch to on and then rotate the reostat up 'till the engine is at the desired speed.

My cruise control does not work below 30 MPH road speed.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Right i know what you are talkin about. I dont want anymore switches ***** etc in my cab........ thats why im wondering how to or if you can wire up the controls for the high idol through your cruse control.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
so has any one got any ideas on how to make this work????? i really think it could but im not too good at doing wires and stuff. I can do the basics but this would be a bit challanging to figure out on my own.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what little I have read about a 550 is that they have a somewhat unique PCM. It has to be the PCM that allows the use of the CC for adjustible high idle in the absence of an APCM. The problem for making this work in a 250 or a 350 would be getting a 550 PCM that would be compatible and including the 550 PCM wiring harness. I'm just thinking off the top of my head.

Edit : What year 550s are those water trucks, are they 7.3s, auto or manual?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
The psd watertrucks were 7.3s. I know this just due to sound dident really pay attention to the year. Both i have driven have auto and manual trans.

I do see were you are coming from on the PCM stuff. Although i do think if you could by-pass some things you could make it work in theory. I just have no idea where to start.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
The high idle mod is something that I've been interested in with winter fast approaching. I'm not much of an electrician either so anybody who has a write up on it, that would be much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
From what little I have read about a 550 is that they have a somewhat unique PCM. It has to be the PCM that allows the use of the CC for adjustible high idle in the absence of an APCM. The problem for making this work in a 250 or a 350 would be getting a 550 PCM that would be compatible and including the 550 PCM wiring harness. I'm just thinking off the top of my head.

Edit : What year 550s are those water trucks, are they 7.3s, auto or manual?
Hay Robin what if we could fool the PCM into thinking the truck was going 30 MPH. Would have to find out what the volt input is at 30 MPH and in stall a 3 way switch and resister?????????????.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks

I do see were you are coming from on the PCM stuff. Although i do think if you could by-pass some things you could make it work in theory. I just have no idea where to start.

Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Hay Robin what if we could fool the PCM into thinking the truck was going 30 MPH. Would have to find out what the volt input is at 30 MPH and in stall a 3 way switch and resister?????????????.
Things like this always sound so easy.

With my luck, and never knowing when to quit until it's too late, I would go through three PCMs before I quit trying.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Get a DP-Tuner with high idle done....

Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by redfire42
Get a DP-Tuner with high idle done....
I have a high idle tune, but it would be nice to have an adjustable rpm high idle is what we're getting at, without installing an APCM.

But there is nothing to prevent getting a couple of high idle tunes set at different rpms.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Can anyone say "potentiometer?" Come now say it with me... potentiometer. Good! Now try again... potentiometer. Excellent! You are getting the hang of it now!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Can anyone say "potentiometer?" Come now say it with me... potentiometer. Good! Now try again... potentiometer. Excellent! You are getting the hang of it now!
"potentiometer, potentiometer, potentiometer, potentiometer"

I've got the pronunciation down but don't ask me to use it in a sentence.

Are you using multisyllabic words just to confuse us.

Remember, I'm the kinda guy who couldn't spell cat if you spotted me the k.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The cruise on an '02 uses the ABS circuit (tone rings) for speed calculation. SO, I am not sure how the F-550's are set up, but I would figure you would need the ABS module communication, figure out what it would be at 30mph, and output that. But wait, theres more, the automatic cruise control has a cancel function built into the range sensor. My '02 when it was an auto would cancel cruise if I went into neutral at road speed. You could build a tone ring and sensor for the PTO and figure out the ratio needed for 30+mph minimum for engagement, run those wires to the ABS module as a summed signal, then emulate the output. That would be a bit on the complicated side though and you said make it easier.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you using multisyllabic words just to confuse us.
Potentiometer confuses you, but you can whip out a word like multisyllabic and use it properly in a sentence?

Remember, I'm the kinda guy who couldn't spell cat if you spotted me the k.
I don't care who you are that's funny right there

Quick Reply: High Idol Set Up Question