Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior User

waltharper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel gauge

It has probable been talked about before and only a dozen times, so here it goes again:

What can I do to make my fuel gage work?

Reads empty when truck is off. That is normal

When truck is turned on gage goes to full

Will go down to 3/4 but no farther the it read empty and you walking.

Truck;

Has a new sensor in the tank.

The dash gauge looks ok

Wiring looks good

What do I check to see what is not working?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
Is the sender in the tank the right one? The gauge reads off of the resistance sent from the sender.
So for example, if the gauge has 60 ohms for empty, and 0 ohms for full then you need a sender that has the same specs.

That's what it sounds like to me... maybe the wrong sender.
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
It might help to know the year/make/etc of the truck.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior User

waltharper is starting off with a positive reputation.
a 1962 f-100. I ahve taken the sending unit out and it seems to look ok. the gage on the dash moves up and down but not in accordance with the amound of fuel in the tank.

Would it matter if electrical connection on the sending unit be attached by a slide over the post connection or not?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
You may need to bent the rod that holds the float to the guage. I've had to do that before to get them to read right. Take the sender out, hook some jumper leads to the terminals, and try moving the float to see where it registers. You can then bend the rod to make it read right.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 PM