Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion won't start

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsta
Your problem is the battery. Replace it and your problems will go away.

The "give away" is when you try and start it and the you get the gauge sweep.

Bad batteries do weird things. Just replace it.
+1 on that...

On the 2002 and up trucks that's a dead give away that the battery needs to be replaced. Start there, then work your way back.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM
59CRL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the starter to me... sounds like a dead spot in the starter, I had that happen to me before...... starter gets hot and has problems. Had that happen on military vehicles too.... I would replace the starter if it was my truck.... good luck.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
AirTime
New User
Was this problem solved?

I'm having the same or a very similar issue where my Excursion (6.8) is trying to start but won't.

The starter is cranking, battery is strong but the engine won't start.

Seems like it's starved for fuel, but at the same time it also feels like the engine may be flooded (but I doubt that is even possible with fuel injection).

I started noticing this about 2 years ago, but usually if I let it sit for 15 minutes or so it would finally start.

Now it won't start at all despite letting it crank and crank.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by AirTime
Was this problem solved?

I'm having the same or a very similar issue where my Excursion (6.8) is trying to start but won't.

The starter is cranking, battery is strong but the engine won't start.

Seems like it's starved for fuel, but at the same time it also feels like the engine may be flooded (but I doubt that is even possible with fuel injection).

I started noticing this about 2 years ago, but usually if I let it sit for 15 minutes or so it would finally start.

Now it won't start at all despite letting it crank and crank.
While you're cranking, step on the gas, if it starts then your problem is the IAC or Idle Air Control Valve.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
AirTime
New User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
While you're cranking, step on the gas, if it starts then your problem is the IAC or Idle Air Control Valve.
I've tried that quite a few times - still won't start.

All it does is slightly (and I mean barely) change the sound of the engine trying to start.

At one point I was thinking the fuel filter needs to be replaced - I've never replaced it and I've owned it for 6 or more years. It's a 2001.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 AM
AirTime
New User
Ok - got it started.

1st I tried 'priming' the engine by turning the key (and holding for 5 seconds or so) as far as I could w/o actually engaging the starter - I did this 6 times.

Tried to start it - no go.

Then I immediately tried to start it by pressing the gas pedal down about 1 inch or so....the engine coughed a little then started right up.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Rebuild101
Junior User
I think you need to put a fuel pressure Gage on it and see if it has enough pressure
I think we are all confused what's going on
It will turn over all the time but not start right?
That's where I would start and get fuel filters the fuel we get now days is bad to say the least

Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
bergy 2000
Senior User
I am having a similar problem but as of now I can start it. It almost left me stranded. When the engine is warm it wont always start but when we let it sit a a while it starts.But only sometimes it wil ldo this. Is it the fuel pump. I did just change the filter over the summer and only thing I did recently was add some seafoam to the tank. PLEASE HELP

Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 AM
AirTime
New User
Originally Posted by bergy 2000
I am having a similar problem but as of now I can start it. It almost left me stranded. When the engine is warm it wont always start but when we let it sit a a while it starts.But only sometimes it wil ldo this. Is it the fuel pump. I did just change the filter over the summer and only thing I did recently was add some seafoam to the tank. PLEASE HELP
My Excursion won't start at all now (cranks but won't start).

I checked all fuses and relays related to the fuel pump.

Here is what I would suggest when the excursion won't start: have someone turn the ignition key as far as it will go (in the ignition) without actually cranking the engine. While that is happening if your near the rear of the Excursion you should hear the fuel pump engage for a second or two.

If you don't hear the fuel pump start/engage, I would check the fuses and relays related to the fuel pump - that info is in your manual or the online manual. Also, check the fuel pump cutoff switch - info on that is also in the manual.

If all of that checks out, you may need a new fuel pump. I got a quote for $650 to replace the fuel pump, the fuel pump assembly at my local parts store is right around $200.

As I'm sure you know normally the fuel tank has to be dropped (to replace fuel pump) which is out of my league to do it myself. I thought about cutting a hole in the floor, but there are issues with that as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM
bergy 2000
Senior User
I have read some posts that had the same issue and they replaced the pump and many fuel related items and still no luck. I have heard it may be a sensor, cat converter being clogged causing to much back pressure, or the dreaded electrical gremmlin, bad ground. I use my x for towing so I need a bullet proof vehicle. I hope we can figure this out.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
AirTime
New User
Originally Posted by bergy 2000
I have read some posts that had the same issue and they replaced the pump and many fuel related items and still no luck. I have heard it may be a sensor, cat converter being clogged causing to much back pressure, or the dreaded electrical gremmlin, bad ground. I use my x for towing so I need a bullet proof vehicle. I hope we can figure this out.
I use my X for towing also and that's about it. Most of time it's just sitting in the driveway, which I thought indirectly might be part of the problem - just lack of use.

BTW, I started having this problem (as you describe) about 2 years ago, but normally if I let it sit for a few minutes it would eventually start.

Then back in October I was stranded at a gas station for about a 1/2 hour before it finally started. I didn't have any other problems that weekend, but then shortly thereafter the problem returned.

As mentioned, now I can't get it to start at all - unless I spray starting fluid into the air intake - then it will start for about 2-3 seconds. As mentioned I went through and checked all the relevant fuses and relays last weekend.

At this point I'm going to have it towed to a repair shop.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AirTime
As I'm sure you know normally the fuel tank has to be dropped (to replace fuel pump) which is out of my league to do it myself. I thought about cutting a hole in the floor, but there are issues with that as well.
Dropping the tank is actually pretty easily accomplished and very intuitive.

Stewart

Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM
AirTime
New User
Symptoms of a failing fuel pump:

Occasionally, a fuel pump will warn you that it needs to be replaced. It will overheat and stop working for 20 minutes or so. If you let the car sit for a half hour (more or less), it will start again, as the fuel pump cools off and begins working again. If you encounter this symptom, have the fuel system diagnosed to be sure it is the fuel pump and not the relay or wiring causing the problem, and have the offending part replaced.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
AirTime
New User
Pricing fuel pumps at Autozone:

$203 with federal emissions

$173 with California emissions

My understanding is that the California version contains a vapor pressure sensor, not sure why that would make it $30 cheaper.

Both are complete assemblies and include the strainer.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
bergy 2000
Senior User
keep us posted and let us know what the problem is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excursion won't start