1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vin problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Sorry, Jim, didn't mean to spoil your fun. I didn't realize it was a test.

I think we're getting closer. I'll let you know in about 6-8 weeks.
Oh well thats okay, I'l probably recieve a little flack about it. If he is real, a little test should not bother him. They sure are slow getting you truck taken care of though , keep me informed. JIM

Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
A word of caution when doing this with the CHP:

When you do that (in California), you will have to TOW the vehicle on a flatbed to have it inspected, and it has to stay on the flatbed in their garage during the inspection. Then you have to tow it home (or to get the new number stamped - which they will tell you you can do yourself) on the flatbed.

If you drive it or tow it two wheels on the ground, they will impound it and cite you!

They do not issue VIN tags. You have to have the new number stamped or welded into the frame, And then you will have to tow it back there or to the DMV AGAIN to have that verified! Then, when it's on and verified (and all fees paid) you will get your plates and registration - title in the mail as mentioned. Might want to take proof of insurance as well (you're required to have it to drive off anyway).

You can do this all at AAA (by walking in any time - no appointment necessary) and they aren't nearly as hardnosed as the CHP about the towing etc.

AAA memberships are $47! And worth every penny.
The CHP does issue VIN tags, it is a blue and silver sticker. Being law enforcement and a car guy I have done lots of VIN verifications for the CA DMV and other states that allow out of state peace officers to verify their paperwork.

Like stated there are several things best unsaid because most DMV employees don't know the vehicle code.

You can also pays your fees at CA DMV and get a temporary permit for moving your vehicle on the road legally while getting it taken care of (you all know it is only about the money, right)

In CA, law enforcement can do VIN verifications so if need be check with local agencies, every agency I know has at least one motorhead that would probably be willing to help you through the mess.

Hope this helps this guy or others get through the brick wall at CA DMV.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jim collins
Joe, you sound like you may be an expert on vehicle identification, so tell me. Do and did ,all american made vehicals sold for the general public use , military not included, come from the manufacture with a V.I.N. or other I.D. stamped on the frame ,or tag rivited to the frame ? Not counting the tags elswhere on the body. including .
G.M. mopar, ford , ect.
Sorry to be late on this, just got back from a run to Michigan. First off VIN#'s didn't really exist until 1970. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was established by Congress in 1969 and then VIN#'s were required on all vehicles manufactured in 1970 and later. At that time, it was up to manufacturers to establish the VIN# in just about any way they wanted to. That was changed in 1980 when the standard 17 digit VIN was established, making them all uniform.
Prior to 1969, manufacturers attached serial numbers and there was actually no 'uniform' method for where to put them. I know that Ford, as early as the 1930's stamped the numbers on the frame in 3 places, on the engine block and also on some transmissions. Data plates go back to at least the model A, and they were located in various places.
The fact that there were literally thousands of manufacturers in America over the last 110 years, some who built only one or two cars, leaves a lot of room for many vehicles NOT having serial numbers attached.

BTW, the first Federal regulation established to combat stolen vehicles was the Dryer Act of 1919, but even that did not mandate any kind of serial number rules or locations.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim collins
Oh well thats okay, I'l probably recieve a little flack about it. If he is real, a little test should not bother him. They sure are slow getting you truck taken care of though , keep me informed. JIM
Flack?.. why would anyone have any issue with someone testing their knowledge and integrity??...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
The CHP does issue VIN tags, it is a blue and silver sticker. Being law enforcement and a car guy I have done lots of VIN verifications for the CA DMV and other states that allow out of state peace officers to verify their paperwork. In the last two years for the purpose of obtaining a title on an unregistered/untitled vehicle? I'm not believing that! Sorry!

Like stated there are several things best unsaid because most DMV employees don't know the vehicle code.

You can also pays your fees at CA DMV and get a temporary permit for moving your vehicle on the road legally while getting it taken care of (you all know it is only about the money, right)

In CA, law enforcement can do VIN verifications so if need be check with local agencies, every agency I know has at least one motorhead that would probably be willing to help you through the mess.

Hope this helps this guy or others get through the brick wall at CA DMV.
I'm very sorry, and don't mean to be disrespectful, but your statements above are absolutely not true.

The DMV currently only accepts VIN checks for the CHP and DMV officials for the purposes of titling a vehicle (Insurance verifications, military stickers, and out of state vehicles, etc, are a different matter). And the CHP will only allow their designated officers to do it, at the designated facility. If you live in a part of California where the DMV is accepting VIN checks from local law enforcement officers - for titling - then that is a unique arrangement with at particular DMV.

Also, the CA DMV will always take your money. But if you want a temporary operating permit for a vehicle you do not have a title for, and is not registered/titled in your name, you have to go to the DMV (which includes the DMV officers at AAA) and have the SERIAL number inspected, pay the fees and have a valid title and registration in process before you can obtain the red temporary operating permit. They don't send you a pdf file to print the thing out from.

In California you also have to be able to present proof of insurance if stopped. And you need current license plates to get the insurance needed to DRIVE the truck on the street.

And if you are driving an unregistered vehicle with no plates, stickers, or insurance cards, and do no thave that red tag taped in your window (new cars excepted), and you get stopped, in California, you'll get towed and impounded for 30 days, or when you do have a valid temporary registration and proof of insurance - which ever happens LAST!

What I stated above about towing in the vehicle needing a serial number check was quoted to me by the CHP Officer I had a Serial Number check with.

Lastly, on the three vehicle I have gone through this process with in the past year, the serial number was required to be stamped on the frame. Not just a new one having been issued, but also when that is verified, it has to be stamped or welded on the frame. I have absolutely no doubts, ifs, ands, or buts, about the process - as it's run in Southern California.

If you are currently "law enforcement" (a Police Officer?), I think you need to do a little homework! If yo are not "acting", then I'd like to suggest that the process has changed in the past year or two.

If any of you have any doubts, call up your local Sherrif or Police office and ask them to send an officer by to do a VIN check for the purpose of obtaining a title on an untitled/unregistered vehicle.

When they direct you to the CHP, then call the CHP up and ask them to send someone out to do a VIN check for the purpose of obtaining a title. They'll tell you to call the DMV for an appointment to bring the vehicle in, and if they don't explain the trailering rules, ask them.

No sense in getting into trouble because they may have changed things again or we are/are not right here.

Get the info from the "horses mouth."

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I know that Ford, as early as the 1930's stamped the numbers on the frame in 3 places, on the engine block.....Some transmissions yes.
I don't think so. GM yes, Ford no.

So I pose the question to you again:

On my 51 Ford F1, besides the upper right frame rail, where are the other two serial number stamps on my truck frame?

And on my 1962 Ford 390 FE engine, where is the vehicle serial number stamped that it came out of?

I'd really like some proof on that! It would be very useful if that were true - for example we would all know what year our FE engines were manufactured.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Julie, I believe what Harleymsn said about VINs is true for Ford Cars; but not necessarily for Ford trucks of the Bonus Built era. There is an old thread where this was hashed out in detail. Not even consistent between 48 - 50 and 51-52, as I recall.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:05 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The last digits of a vehicle's vin is stamped into the backside of the block (the 351M/400 has it on top at the rear of the block) What year they started doing that, I'm not sure. But I'll look at my 391FT and see where they stamped it on an FE type.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by POS-F500
Flack?.. why would anyone have any issue with someone testing their knowledge and integrity??...
Maybe not here ,but some other forums it happens .

Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

On my 51 Ford F1, besides the upper right frame rail, where are the other two serial number stamps on my truck frame?

And on my 1962 Ford 390 FE engine, where is the vehicle serial number stamped that it came out of?

I'd really like some proof on that! It would be very useful if that were true - for example we would all know what year our FE engines were manufactured.
Just a small correction, G.M. never put stamped numbers on the frame of 34 and 35 chevy passenger cars and other years too. I don't mean to offend anybody, I just know these cars well having owned three of them. Yes, not ford related I know.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
The last digits of a vehicle's vin is stamped into the backside of the block (the 351M/400 has it on top at the rear of the block) What year they started doing that, I'm not sure. But I'll look at my 391FT and see where they stamped it on an FE type.
Beginning with the 1968 model year, you'll find stamped on engine blocks and transmissions a partial VIN including the last number of the model year, assembly plant letter code the car was built in, and the 6 digit consecutive unit number. (ie; 8R123456) Even earlier (back to at least 1965) in the case of hipo 289's. I don't know if the same rules applied to trucks, so you may or may not find it on an FT block.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Julie, since I retired I no longer have access to the books that list all the locations. So I can't give you specific locations for your truck. Ford did the 3 serial number locations on the frames from 1932 through 1948, the number was stamped on the top of the drivers side in three places. Here is an example from a 1939 Ford frame showing the locations at that time.

I am not sure about the numbers are on the frame of your 51 F1.

As for the engine serial numbers, Ford Began that in 1932 also, the locations may have changed over the years, but I believe that continued right through.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Julie,
I don't know your background but I respect your knowledge and the help you provide to many on this site. That being said, you also don't know mine. This is an area that is obviuosly not you specialty. You are incorrect because CHP does issue VIN numbers, just beacause the ONE officer you talked to said something does not make it law. As you yourself said DMV employees don't always know what is going on and the same can be said for law enforcement. I do not pretend to be an expert but I have been doing this for a long time and believe you need to read some statues in the vehicle code. I have included two for you as reprinted from the CA DMV Vehicle code.

V C Section 675.5 Vehicle Verifier
Vehicle Verifier
675.5. A "vehicle verifier" is a person not expressly excluded by Section 675.6 who inspects, records, documents, and submits to the department, or its authorized representative, such proof of vehicle identification as may be required by the department for the purpose of registering or transferring the ownership of vehicles.

Added Ch. 700, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

V C Section 675.6 Vehicle Verifier Exclusions
Vehicle Verifier: Exclusions
675.6. (a) "Vehicle verifier" does not include any of the following:

(1) A peace officer.

(2) An authorized employee of the department.

(3) A special agent of the National Auto Theft Bureau.

(4) An employee of an organization certified under the provisions of Part 5 (commencing with Section 12140) of Division 2 of the Insurance Code whose duties require or authorize the verification of vehicles.

(b) Any person specified in subdivision (a) may perform the duties of a vehicle verifier without obtaining the special permit required in Section 11300. Added Ch. 700, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

Please take note of the section I highlighted. And you can either go to DMV or go online for the VIN verification form and look at the bottom of it where it list the approved person and you will see peace officer listed.

If you like I will PM you my numbers and we can talk about this as I don't like range wars but feel some of this info you are giving out is wrong.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:39 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Julie,

There are several other areas you brought up including questioning my profession (if you don't believe what I do I suggest you do something illegal in my jurisdiction and I can send you home with a little yellow reminder), towing of cars, etc... that I don't want to subject people here to but again I sugest you read the vehicle code.

P.S. you will note in the earlier post the sections were added to the vehicle code in 1976, not in the last two years.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Ford did the 3 serial number locations on the frames from 1932 through 1948, the number was stamped on the top of the drivers side in three places. Here is an example from a 1939 Ford frame showing the locations at that time.

Even though this doesn't necessarily pertain to our particular trucks in the 48-60 forum, FWIW, I will state that this information is true and correct. I have seen many of these frames stamped this way.

Quick Reply: Vin problems...