1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My 66 F100 Custom Cab LWB Build-up

Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 66 F100 Custom Cab LWB Build-up

Well I posted intro a week ago... I've decided I'll be keeping the truck, and fixing it up to be a clean driver. Factory paint scheme was Caribbean Turquoise and Marlin Blue (uncertain of what would've been the main body color any help on this would be great)

To start out with, there's a short in the harness. I found a deal on an EZ Wiring 12circuit harness, and it'll be here within a week. This will be my 3rd complete rewire project with universal harnesses. Still some connectors I need to get before I can get started.

Just figured I'd start a build-thread, so everyone can keep track of any upgrades, mods, etc...

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool here to follow along.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Here's a list of planned mods/upgrades, etc...
  • Complete rewire
  • 7pin Trailer Harness
  • Elec choke conversion
  • Pertronix Ignitor Module
  • Proform Electronics Multispark ign. box
  • Pertronix Flamethrower Coil
  • Power steering
  • Power disc brakes
  • Automatic Column
  • Remove roof-top marker lights
  • Complete repaint back in factory color
  • Hooker Headers
  • March Industries Underdrive Pulley
This is just a basic List... I'm trying to see how tight a budget I can maintain. Luckily I have a majority of the first upgrades already from previous projects. I'll be picking up a 73 f100 w/ the powersteering & brakes to swap over soon from a friend of mine. along with the automatic column and anything else that can be salvaged will be sold.

This is also going to be a more "long term" project, since I have a few others to finish first, Luckily the body is in great shape, so I could do a complete repaint in a matter of 1-3 weekends (depending on how productive I feel) I'll be keeping detailed pics of every stage, mod/upgrade.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Lets see some pics of the 66 now. Looked in your Gallery and found none there even. Come on Bud we like pix's because some of us can't read very well.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Here's a few after I got it home, and the broken rag joint fixed last week

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Damn nice CC. Makes me want to get out and work on my 1 ton instead of parting it out. Guess that,s why I haven't sold any parts from her yet.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Started working on more of a tune up to the 352... P.O. replaced plugs that was about it. idle was set far too high, and air mixture needed adjusted. Runs much better now. Still need to check gap on the points, and timing, as it feels a little off.

I went to replace the exhaust flange gaskets, and noticed when looking over the driver's side, there's a large(apprx 2") spacer between the manifold and the exhaust flange. I've never seen this on my previous FE motors (62 Galaxie, 69 Fairlane, etc...) I've not been able to locate the gasket that goes between the spacer and the manifold. I'm really trying to get out of taking it to a local exhaust shop (i'm "cheap", and I don't like other people working on my vehicles) Any help would be appreciated

Old 10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no gasket it is a machined finish and fit. This is the exhaust heat riser valve. Its function is to allow exhaust gases to back up and heat the intake plenum through cross ports from the heads into the intake. If you need a seal high temp red silicone will help but not for long.

It is about useless and jams up easily. It can be replaced with later model aftermarket FE truck exhaust manifolds.

Garbz

Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice 66, oh and f100's didnt get discs untill 76.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Getting the parts truck from a good friend, he's had it for nearly 20yrs... It is optioned with the disc up front, and if not, he has a 76 or 77 with power discs. It'll be my choice as to which one I drag home for parts.

Thanks for info on the heat-riser, I'm used to them being on passenger side. I've always removed them, or opted for headers. I have some sources of other manifolds, I'm not willing to try the silicone idea. I want a permanent fix, vs temporary solution. Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Went through my spare parts stash; found a set of manifolds from 74 truck. I'll install them tomorrow & have the exhaust cut & reinstalled. Also found one of my spare rebuilt distributors already s setup with pertronix ignitor unit. Also cleaned junk out of the bed... lift up the bedliner & the bed is solid. I will likely pull out the liner clean up the bed & coat it with herculiner.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
More new pic's please

Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skyhawc
.. Factory paint scheme was Caribbean Turquoise and Marlin Blue (uncertain of what would've been the main body color any help on this would be great)...
The two-tones were generally a lower color with the white top, just like you have. That color should be a Silver Blue Poly (1966) or Marlin Blue (1965). The Caribbean was a green hue of turquoise. Here is my favorite site for paint.

AutoColorLibrary - Color Chip Selection

--Mike

Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Here's some pics...

Mess of a hacked up wiring harness...

Toolbox Rust

Doorjamb rust

Can someone tell me what this swith would've been for? Mounted above Gas pedal, only contact when at full throttle. Has 4 prong plug, and 3 wires ran to engine bay ontop of dr. side valve cover. It's not hooked up to anything though.

I did get distributor swapped out today with my pertronix unit installed. But spent most the day getting my Jeep Wrangler back together, where I had to replace a bent axle shaft.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous switch lol jk, I should take a pic of my harness so you feel better about yours lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 66 F100 Custom Cab LWB Build-up