Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Thread Ender

Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG-SM View Post
My mileage improved by about 2 mpg switching back to stock sized highway tires from 285 all terrains fwiw...
Man that really bums me out. I really wanted to go to 285 BFG ATs next time from my 265 Michelins, but 2 MPG?! Thats a good bit.

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.”
― Milton Friedman
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Senior User

9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
need help

Ok, I have had my Excursion for well over a year. I have learned alot, but I still think there is something wrong with it and its fuel economy.

I drive like grandma at 55-60 mph two lane no stops and still can't get over 15 mpg. Besides all the mods in my signature line, I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the EBPV sensor pipe. Tires are 70 psi. Lie o meter say 20.9 most of the time, math says anywhere between 13.5 and one time 15.9. I recently lost a years worth of avg on my smart phone, but avg for the last 1723 miles is 13.8 mpg.

I have driven mostly highway miles on this last tank and I will be lucky to get 300 miles out of a half a tank.

So where do I start. What all do I need to check and look for. I don't have a auto enginuty and I don't know of anyone that does. I am not really ready to start throwing parts at it either. What are some of the culprits that I can check for please.

Thanks
2003 7.3 diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer. Mod V & B code springs, Hellwig rear sway bar, RAS (temparily removed), Isspro pillar gauges, 6637 intake, Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust, DP F5 tuner, AIH delete, CCV mod, redhead steering gear box, FRx, HPX, WW2.

Hobby or Money Pit?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
New User

Thelhouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont be offended but make sure your front hubs are not locked in.
I say this because i bought my X 6mon. ago the writing on the hubs was gone afer only getting 13.5 to 14.5 mpg even after some mods i checked them and they were locked in the last tank i avg 15.75 mpg
now that is not great but it is alot better.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Senior User

Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9905 View Post
Ok, I have had my Excursion for well over a year. I have learned alot, but I still think there is something wrong with it and its fuel economy.

I drive like grandma at 55-60 mph two lane no stops and still can't get over 15 mpg. Besides all the mods in my signature line, I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the EBPV sensor pipe. Tires are 70 psi. Lie o meter say 20.9 most of the time, math says anywhere between 13.5 and one time 15.9. I recently lost a years worth of avg on my smart phone, but avg for the last 1723 miles is 13.8 mpg.

I have driven mostly highway miles on this last tank and I will be lucky to get 300 miles out of a half a tank.

So where do I start. What all do I need to check and look for. I don't have a auto enginuty and I don't know of anyone that does. I am not really ready to start throwing parts at it either. What are some of the culprits that I can check for please.

Thanks

Take it out and verify the accuracy of the speedometer. You never know if a previous owner changed the tire size or tire size setting in the computer.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
New User

dw200 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently brought a 00 Ex out of retirement. It has the 7.3 and is a 4wd. To say it had a hard life would be an understatement. Everything is stock. It gets 17 to 18 mpg on the interstate.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
made a trip to OH the other day. Just pulling the car trailer out there I got 19.4mpg. On the way back with a OBS truck on the trailer I got 14.4mpg. This is with a 2wd though. :P
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Senior User

RavageX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just finished a trip up interstate 5 and got about 18mpg going 70-80mph. I have 3.73 gears with 35in tires and had rpm at about 2100-2200. Went about 700miles on 7/8th of a tank.
FTW!! (Ford for The Win!)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Senior User

DavenTn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DavenTn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bought my Ex, Ltd. 7.3 4x4 a few weeks ago and drove it home from Nashville to Stuart Florida ('bout 1K miles) @ a steady 70mph... 21.3 mpg hand calculated. Has cold intake and Magna flow dual exhaust. Other than that ... stock. 265 Michilens were real nice tires.

I see many say the mileage decreased by going to a taller tire. My experiences has always been the opposite... slight increase. Wonder why? Anyone care to explain? I do understand if the tire brand changes, air pressure or type of tire could change the mileage in a negative way.

I tow a lot, and this is why I got it, but no numbers yet towing.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenTn View Post
Bought my Ex, Ltd. 7.3 4x4 a few weeks ago and drove it home from Nashville to Stuart Florida ('bout 1K miles) @ a steady 70mph... 21.3 mpg hand calculated. Has cold intake and Magna flow dual exhaust. Other than that ... stock. 265 Michilens were real nice tires.

I see many say the mileage decreased by going to a taller tire. My experiences has always been the opposite... slight increase. Wonder why? Anyone care to explain? I do understand if the tire brand changes, air pressure or type of tire could change the mileage in a negative way.

I tow a lot, and this is why I got it, but no numbers yet towing.
We are in Juno Beach now, lots of Exes down here for sure.

When you use a taller tire it throws the speedo off a bit showing lower mileage. I think taller tires may help on the highway some but hurt in the city.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Junior User

ssolid is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the Computer is right...

If it is right I got 33.2 mpg on my way home from work last night over a 39 mile run. 3 Stop lights. One stop sign. Otherwise kept it easy on and off at 1200-1300 rpm (44ish mph).

I must say this is totally managing the driving experience the whole time and adding approximately 20-25 minutes to my drive. Otherwise I am around 16-17.

I have been adding Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Oil when I fill up @ 1oz per Gallon of Diesel. I have also added a 203 degree thermostat and an Ingen Cold Air Intake System along with a Banks 4" straight pipe exhaust.

I would like to get a Bully Dog or some other performance Tuner to enhance the driving experience and MPG.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 AM
FTEFCM 7

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Exclamation The Computer is not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssolid View Post
If it is right I got 33.2 mpg on my way home from work last night over a 39 mile run. 3 Stop lights. One stop sign. Otherwise kept it easy on and off at 1200-1300 rpm (44ish mph).

I must say this is totally managing the driving experience the whole time and adding approximately 20-25 minutes to my drive. Otherwise I am around 16-17.

I have been adding Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Oil when I fill up @ 1oz per Gallon of Diesel. I have also added a 203 degree thermostat and an Ingen Cold Air Intake System along with a Banks 4" straight pipe exhaust.

I would like to get a Bully Dog or some other performance Tuner to enhance the driving experience and MPG.

Thanks

If the Computer is right...

It's not, unless it is all down hill.
Mark aka FTEMaB #7

"Form never follows function; that is the folly and the vanity of theory"

(Rudolph)
http://vimeo.com/user25371657
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I haven't had to put fuel in my X for months now!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 AM
FTEFCM 7

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I haven't had to put fuel in my X for months now!

^^^^^ That right there is funny. ^^^^

But you have been buying some Honda fuel, though.
Mark aka FTEMaB #7

"Form never follows function; that is the folly and the vanity of theory"

(Rudolph)
http://vimeo.com/user25371657
Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdac View Post
^^^^^ That right there is funny. ^^^^

But you have been buying some Honda fuel, though.

yeah, I have had to fill up the honda a few times I guess.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Elder User

jayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssolid View Post

Thanks
Computer lied to you. Only way to get that MPG with an Ex is to be going downhill in neutral with the engine off...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM