1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Newb here. Just bought a 96 PSD.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Scud Runner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb here. Just bought a 96 PSD.

Hello everyone. I just bought a $2000 96 F 250 4x4 with a 7.3 power-stroke and an E4OD auto trans. It's a white supercab long box. I have two questions about the truck I hope someone here can help me with.

1. The overdrive off light blinks on and off when running and driving. The transmission seems to shift fine. The fluid is horrendous however, and I plan on a complete service with a new filter? I may even get an external filter installed. But, my question is will the new fluid actually loosen whatever is in the valve bodies or pumps and may actually toast the transmission? I read that this transmission was only for 96-97 model year and very expensive to rebuild...And kind of a pile.

2. The engine smokes bluish white smoke for a good 5 minutes and seems to diminish as it warms up. The truck sat for a year. and has old fuel and oil in it. Is there some valve guides or something that are causing oil to seep into the cylinders? Are there glow plug issues with this engine? The engine shows good oil pressure. It does have an exhaust leak somewhere too. The engine has a hesitation when you give it fuel.

Thanks for the help.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
With the od light blinking you need to get the codes read to see what's going on.

It won't hurt anything to change the fluid, especially if its that bad, get it out. And yes, they are not cheap to rebuild right

Change the oil and fuel filter and clean the screen in the filter bowl and get it running again and cleaned out and see how your smoking issue is. You'll have to find the exhaust leak, where is it? uppipe or muffler itself...

Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Scud Runner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant really tell where the exhaust leak is yet. Haven't had any time to look at it. It's close to the engine though.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:51 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Do as 427 fordman says. Change the fluids first. Be sure to check the antifreeze as well. Cavitation will ruin the engine. You need to drive the truck after you get some fresh oil and tranny fluid in it. I would run some diesel fuel additive too. Power Service is a good one to use to clean the injectors. Get some miles on it with new fuel and oil in it and you should see the smoke lighten up. Fixing the exhaust leak will also be key in that area as well, not to mention a gain in power, assuming it's the up pipes that are leaking. Look at the exhaust connections, and if you see a bunch of black soot around the connection and on the firewall, you've likely found your exhaust leak.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Your just seeing blow by in the bay probably.
and smoke on startup is usually from unburnt fuel.
if it clears up and doesn't smoke once its warmed up, look into doing some glow plugs and maybe a new gpr.