Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with first Ex purchase! (Need SUV for RV TT)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
dcorry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with first Ex purchase! (Need SUV for RV TT)

I've been lurking for a few days, and this forum is great. I'm a newbie to the Ex-world, RVing and diesel RV tow vehicles (but not to towing itself--eg. boats, farm equip, etc), so please treat me like the rookie I am re: the specifics on the Ex / RV-TT stuff. <O</O

The wife are looking at an 8500# (dry; not purchased yet) 34-35 ft TT and need an SUV TV (can't do a truck or 5W w/ all the kids). We live in Colorado, and plan 4-6 trip's / yr (or more) over the next 8 yrs or so. The Ex is a perfect match for the family needs, but I need help finding the right one (which engine?). Also, I'm also a little concerned re: getting to the upper limits of the Ex's tow capacity.<O

A good friend has a 2005 6.0PSD and loves it; says I should get the same thing. The wife, however, is concerned about a >$22K purchase for '05 (craigslist), but really wants the RV, and is more comfortable w/ a $10K-$15K TV purchase. So, to help smooth my transition into the Ex/RV world (and keep my marriage out of the ditch!), it'd be great to get some guidance from you guys.

1) Should I avoid the 2003-2004 6.0L PSD as my friend suggests (he describes nightmares with these engines)?
2) What about a 2002-2003 7.3L PSD to try to lower the price point (or should I just push for the 2005)?
3) Given what I want to tow, what do you suggest re: minimum tow package (WD hitch, sway bars, tires, etc)?
4) What advice do you have re: my concerns on the size/weight of the TT (and will be hauling two adults w/ 3-5 kids + gear) vs. the towing capacity of the Ex.
5) Any other generic advice re: buying an Ex off of craigslist (never done it before...only bought from dealerships in past, and never a diesel truck).

Thanks a ton for any advice you have.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I was in the same boat as you are now last year. I just jumped right into the Excursion without doing any research and found that I was really lucky to have made a good choice.

You should look at the GVWR of the trailer instead of the dry weight to determine if the Excursion or any tow vehicle can pull it safely. You should also look at the tongue weight. I believe the Excursion tongue weight is 1500 lbs. with a WD hitch. I think you should be ok, but check it out anyway. There are towing guides you can get for a specific model year online. Try RV.net.

If you go with the V10, get one with 4.30 axle. This will give you just a bit more towing capacity than the 3.73. Either the V10 or 7.3L or 6.0L will do the job. The V10 will be slower going up hills. You'll rev the engine really good, but it will do the job.

Diesels has higher cost of maintenance. An oil change will require 15 qts. or so of oil vs. 6 for the gas. Diesels will give you the low end torque and pull your trailer up hills no problem. Cost of a diesel engine is higher as well, but they do last a long time with proper maintenance. Diesel also has better mpg.

A V10 will be much cheaper to own. Whether you want the 7.3L or 6.0L is up to you. You've read the horror stories about the 6.0 here in this forum.

The year 2000 model has a lower towing capacity than the 01-05 due to the fact they used smaller bolts to fasten the hitch receiver to the frame. They were beefed up in the later years.

V10 has the issue of spitting plugs from 00-02. V10s also has the exhaust manifold studs breaking on all the years.

Whatever you decide, please make sure to get yourself a good proportional brake controller. A Prodigy or P3 is a good choice. You will also need to make sure you have load range E tires and inflate it the max for towing.

Some mods you can make are RAS or airbags to prevent rear end sagging.

There are other things I can't think of off hand. Any questions, you can post here and we'll be happy to give you some pointers.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
98mustangchris
Freshman User
Welcome to the forum!!! I just bought me an Excursion myself. I have a 2011 Keystone Sprinter 327RET that i Just bought also, and it ways 8300 dry. My Ex is a 2000 XLT V10 that I have been getting 12mpg mostly city drving with a lead foot (: It has 310hp 425ftlb of torque. tow capacity is 10,000 with a weight distribution hitch. It will be the same for the rest. I highly reccommend the Ex's for their comfort, relieability, power, acceleration and tow capacity. It tows it like a dream also. As far as your concerned, it will tow whatever you need it too. I reccommend the v10 as far as my two cents. Good reliability, cheaper maintnance than the diesel, good gas mileage for what it is and less noisy! If you have your heart set on a diesel, I would not buy anything rather than a 7.3 powerstroke, which were in the earlier model EX's before the 6.0's. You will love towing with any Excursion with the long wheel base and the awsome cargo space, compared to any other pickup or suv. You could not ask for more! Any more ?'s let me know!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
tgreening
Elder User
That's a fairly big TT and if its listed dry weight is 8500# I'd hazard you'll be at 10K or so once loaded. Add in all the meat bag weight you'll be carrying and I imagine you will be over the rated capacity of the Ex. That in itself isn't the end of the world. You will need to know what your tires are good for and adjust accordingly. The hitch is liable to run out of capacity. Again, that's something that can be rectified if you toss money at the problem. The suspension itself is liable to start giving up the ghost in response to the potential load. Again, mostly a problem that can be solved by the application of greenbacks.

I know your situation exactly since I was there just a short time ago. I bought a 33ft TT that had a loaded weight of 8500# and towed it with an '01 Ex with V10. I added air bags to the rear and that took care of the sagging suspension. The trailer would shove me all over the highway until I added a $1200 (used) Hensley Arrow hitch. Money WELL spent for my situation at the time.

The engine did the job but to me it was not a comfortable experience. The gas engine doesn't really wake up till you hit about 4000 rpm and I just didn't like listening to it scream when pulling big hills.

I went the Excursion and TT route since I have two young girls and figured soon I'd have to cart them and their friends along, if I expected mine to keep coming. It took just about 1 season of camping to make me rethink the position. The Ex was about maxed out capacity wise and the TT didn't have enough storage for kids, kid stuff such as bikes, toys, and what-not.

I decided that the kids could have ONE friend come along with us, alternating who got to choose the friend, and if the trip just absolutely had to have more then those parents were more than welcome to drive along and join us. I dumped the TT, bought a big honkin fifth wheel, an 6.4 diesel F450 to tow it, and kept the Ex just because it's a great people mover than can also pull a fair load when needed.

If you are dead set on the Excursion & TT the first thing I'd do is more looking around at TTs. You should be able to find a good unit with double bunks and come in a fair amount under that dry weight.

Second, I'd look for a low mileage '05 Ex with the diesel, unless you don't mind listening to the gas engine crank those high rpms when pulling bigger hills.

Thired, explain to the wife that there is no free lunch. To pull what you want to have, with the type of tow vehicle you want, is going to require some money. Diesel will be more money, but in spite of what some will say, the diesel will do it more comfortably than the gas engine. Make sure you buy a GOOD weight distributing hitch. I highly recommend the Hensley. They are stupid expensive new and ridiculously expensive used, but they do-the-job. I can tell you right now my experience was white-knuckle till I put that hitch on. Before, driving it anywhere was an extremely stressful and unpleasant experience. Adding some airbags to the rear end will keep the Excursions butt up where it belongs. Invest in a high quality brake controller. A high end Tekonshah (sp?) will do the trick. Make sure your tires are rated for the load you'll be carrying.

I'm sure some others will pipe in with where they agree and where they think I'm full of it. You know the general opinion of opinions.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I believe mine with the V10 4.30 axle and 2WD is 10,500 lbs.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM
ExcursionTime
New User
Originally Posted by jh818
I believe mine with the V10 4.30 axle and 2WD is 10,500 lbs.
I know the 2000 models had smaller pins on the hitch and less max towing capacity, but is it the same for all other years/models? My 05 V10 4.30 shows 12,500 on hitch. Is that the same for everyone with 2001-2005 models?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
joenmell
Junior User
I have this exact set for sale in the "trucks for sale" listings. I would recommend this for anyone with kids. We have three teens and always carry friends (and often the two dogs) We have never had a problem towing. Our excursion had some mechanical issues, but we have had everything repaired and believe that we could drive it anywhere in the country. IM me if you are interested in pictures and stories

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I like everyone's opinion..its your choice on how much money you want to spend and how safe you want to be. For you towing that huge TT, you need bags and the Hensley is a wonderful hitch. If you go diesel.., make sure to get a oasis report, have it inspected for any problems and bring your friend along. The 6.0 has crazy power, but could turn Elvis over in the grave with repair bills.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 AM
dcorry
Freshman User
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I totally agree with the concept of figuring out what we really need (before going off half-cocked an buying stuff), then following the concept that when responsible for precious cargo (family, TT, etc) the old maxim 'you get what you pay for' applies in spades.

BTW, can anyone fill me in on how to go about getting this 'Oasis Report?' Sounds like a great resource.

Again, thanks, and I'll jump back in with more questions as soon as they come up.