Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Better Starters

Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better Starters

I've been through a TON of the crappy remans... the last one had a solenoid that spun around in the canister when you tried to unbolt a terminal! I would like to get something good when this dies. I'll either buy a new OEM starter, or get a better aftermarket starter. I don't like the stock starters... they seem so under-powered! What I realy want is one of those gear-reduction starters. I've seen gear-reduction starters with both OEM motors and higher-wattage motors on them... is there a popular one out there that alot of guys like to go with? I know there a bunch of "popular buys" for various parts on our trucks so I was wondering what it was, if at all, for starters? That, or anybody got any feedback and/or links too gear-reduction starters? If I can't find anything myself, I'll go with the PowerMaster starter... it's cheaper and more powerful than a new OEM starter and I've really been pleased with the Alternator I got from them as well. So anyways, I look forward to your replies!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a high torque starter from DB Electrical on my truck for 3+ years

Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
How do you like it? Is it better?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It starts a lot easier and faster than the stock starter.for the price ($95) it is hard to beat
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...355-17802.aspx

Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
The price seems to good to be true... but you can't argue with real experience. Hmmm... there's one to add to favorites.

*adds to bookmarks as he types*

Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a DB high torque starter for a while and it was a POS. The stock starter that had over 200,000 mi on it worked better that it did. It started fine but got slower and slower and eventually I got fed up with it and got a starter off a 2001 7.3 which makes it start so much better and it has three bolt holes to boot. The main rubber cap on the DB high torque starter disintegrated when I touched it. I was not at all impressed with the DB. The plunger would stick sometimes and wouldn't engage. I always say buy OEM, but it did cost money!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
The price seems to good to be true... but you can't argue with real experience. Hmmm... there's one to add to favorites.

*adds to bookmarks as he types*
I just did the same thing. my favorites list is as long as my arm with just Ford truck parts websites.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
I'm wondering... I noticed my '99 starter and the starter off of later PSD's (both 7.3L and 6.0L) had a different sound. Are they different?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franko72
I just did the same thing. my favorites list is as long as my arm with just Ford truck parts websites.
Mine is worse... but it's got a ton of writeups in it too. Why can't I just leave things alone?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
I'm also a dissatisfied DB customer. Been through two of them with a third in a box in the garage - brand new. At least their warranty is good.
First one the main lug post crumbled either in transit to me or when I tightened down the nut, the second would not fully engage the flywheel and grind. I got the third one but ended up installing the OEM back on it with no issues. Maybe it was a bad supplier (made in China stamped on all three starters) to DB and things are better now but they're not worth my $$. Just my experience.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Yikes... any input on the PowerMaster starter?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
My factory early 99 starter still turns pretty good. Maybe I'm lucky. The two times I got new batteries I noticed a faster turnover, but it's been pretty good otherwise. I can usually turn it over a second or so and it'll start even if it seems like I didn't turn it over long enough. Most of the time. My vote is for OEM starter with good batteries and connections!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JonathanN
I'm wondering... I noticed my '99 starter and the starter off of later PSD's (both 7.3L and 6.0L) had a different sound. Are they different?

From Ford you could get a Planetary gear reduction starter in 2001 and earlier on some models. It seemed to be hit or miss on the type of starter. For some time, the long body starter was offered and has a three bolt pattern. The other starters are two bolt. Interestingly enough though, the two and three bolt starters all fasten to the 7.3 fine. Only one is a three bolt, PN F4TZ-11002-ARM. So in short, you can get a short body, long body gear reduction (3 bolt), wide body Offset gear reduction, and a wide body offset gear reduction (3 bolt). Note: no wide body starters were offered by Ford as far as I know.

Last edited by camodown; 10-13-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Wrong PN reference
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Oh wow! Got any part numbers? Maybe Ed will chime in here... if that's the case, then I'll go OEM because a new OEM starter lasts a good long while! Add gear-reduction to OEM and you've got an awesome starter! Which one would you say would be better... the straight gear-reduction starter or the off-set gear-reduction starter?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Drew87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had to replace my flywheel (flex plate) on my 2001 F350 so I went ahead an put on a new started too. I had been using the 2 bolt short body, but by mistake the guy at napa gave me the 3 bolt long body with gear reduction. It seems a lot smoother and quieter. This is my 3rd started in 3 years so I hope this one last.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Starters