Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
My original 3-bolt starter with 200,000 miles still turns the engine over just like that Denso does, with the same start time....
Pop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
I'm with Pop.
My OEM starter sounds just like the new Denso starter as well.....
Same here. 263k on my OEM starter and it sounds like that Denso unit as well. I have no clue how many bolts I have...I checked them once to ensure they were tight but that's about all I remember. Funny to think that I can remove both my valve covers while blind folded but I have no idea how many bolts my started has.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior User

Journeymaaann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow another great thread, exchanging ideas with a lot of people on the side lines learning from all of you. Thanks for your valuable experience. Last summer I took my orig starter out at about 98,000 cleaned it up, painted it & put it back it. Still works great but that doesn't diminish the value of your experience. Thanks again. How do I know if my starter is only functioning on less than all of its brushes & what do I do about it?
Thanks

Francis B
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Elder User

lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would suggest pulling the starter off the truck and break it down to see how much is left of the brushes. The brushes can be replaced and the contact area turned down if it has become rough - this would be done on a metal lathe.
2002, F250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CC, SB, Gold Superchip plugin, AIS Air Intake, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter & Dahl Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Warren Hubs, GP LED Light, Edge CTS Monitor, AE/PC Laptop, Chevron Delo HD ELC. 6.0 Tranny Cooler,
2004, Stock Ford Navigator.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior User

01EX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What color loctite has everyone used to lock in the bolts.
This is some feed back on bolt issues with Denso.
I used plenty of loctite. Never could get the thing to stay in. Eventually stripped one hole completely and before I could fix it the other stripped. I was on a trip to north Texas when it happened and used coat hangers, nails, a ratcheting strap and a split piece of fire wood to hold the starter on to get me home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01EX
There has been an issue with the Denso high torgue loosening up the 2 bolts later on and the starter getting loose.

Did you consider using lock tight on the bolts?

Since the Denso is much larger(heavier) then the factory it might need some support on the large side.

Is it possiable to put metal stapping on the larger side with a threaded rod attached to metal straping and a support on the engine with a coupler between the threaded rods to tighten up,supporting the larger side.

I don't have the Deso yet(spring time).

It is 0 degrees were I live so I haven't had the chance to look under my truck to see if a support can be tied into the starter to engine
Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Elder User

USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsenator View Post
Bolts right in. It's heavier, so be prepared and eat your spinach. The wires are all the right length. Some have said they had to notch their cross-members, but I had plenty of room. I think this depends on each trucks exact engine location.

Yes, I bought from Larry Buck. He answered all my questions and was very quick with shipping. I am only an hour away from him, so it was at my house the next day. He even tossed a pair of disposable gloves in for the work. I didn't use them, but I appreciate the sentiment.

If Nations sells that exact same genuine Denso, it's cheaper than Larry's price. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and presume that because of volume, he may not get as good of a deal from his supplier or something. I didn't find out about Nations until after I had already ordered. That's okay. Chalk it up to experience and I take some comfort in knowing that I supported someone local
I've done A LOT of research on starters over the past four days, including reviewing this thread. I spoke with Nations, Larry B, Brian from BTS and Clay from RiffRaff today. The two Denso starters mentioned above have only the name and housing in common. The internals are completely different quality wise. Larry B's is a genuine Denso; Nations is an aftermarket. I tried to find a Bosch; I looked at NAPA's along with several other chain parts stores. Please note, I'm not knocking aftermarket starters here.

I also spoke with Paul at Mean Green, their 7.3 Powerstroke starter is a 5.0 KW and has a two year warranty and lists for $399.00. Even better, they're near Pittsburgh PA, my hometown. We're planning on visiting later this week. This starter has a unique adjustable flange to allow for changing bolt-up location, i.e. the starter rotates in 20 degree increments. I would have definitely purchased this starter, but not knowing what was wrong with my truck was driving me crazy, I had to get her running.

I paid $314.00 for a new updated Motorcraft Visteon starter; it has USA on the sticker.
I did have to file my truck's starter cable terminal slightly. All I can say is WOW! Truck has sat for a week in cold temps (single digits including zero, and it's in the 20's today); after I installed the starter, she fired up in less than two seconds. Oh Ya! I'm glad I went OEM on this one.

2002 True Blue F350 Ext Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD SRW LB
Rhino Line; 4" BDS Lift; Bilstein Shocks; Centerline Rims; Racor Ext Fuel/Enviro Bypass Oil/Magnafine Trans Filters; 8 Autometer Cobalt Gauges; AIS; Toyo 315/75R16 ATs; Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Trans & Rear Diff Covers; BTS; ATS: AIH Delete; Spearco CAC; DP Tuning; DI SS Ups

30 Yr USAF Vet
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Posting Guru

Fishin76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like I'll be changing a starter in the near future, as my Mitsu type starter sounds just like the one in the video. It is working better since I cleaned all the batt terminals, but is randomly cranking slower. Looks like I'll be getting a true denso when the time comes.
2000 F250 SD XLT SC LB 4x4 PSD Ebony and Grey 260K, TS 6-pos Chip, 6637, CCV - my DD now.
1994 F150 XL RC LB 69K 5.0L 2wd, My son's DD.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Posting Guru

JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
What do you mean "updated"... you mean the later GR starter vs. the older straight-design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF CCM View Post
I've done A LOT of research on starters over the past four days, including reviewing this thread. I spoke with Nations, Larry B, Brian from BTS and Clay from RiffRaff today. The two Denso starters mentioned above have only the name and housing in common. The internals are completely different quality wise. Larry B's is a genuine Denso; Nations is an aftermarket. I tried to find a Bosch; I looked at NAPA's along with several other chain parts stores. Please note, I'm not knocking aftermarket starters here.

I also spoke with Paul at Mean Green, their 7.3 Powerstroke starter is a 5.0 KW and has a two year warranty and lists for $399.00. Even better, they're near Pittsburgh PA, my hometown. We're planning on visiting later this week. This starter has a unique adjustable flange to allow for changing bolt-up location, i.e. the starter rotates in 20 degree increments. I would have definitely purchased this starter, but not knowing what was wrong with my truck was driving me crazy, I had to get her running.

I paid $314.00 for a new updated Motorcraft Visteon starter; it has USA on the sticker.
I did have to file my truck's starter cable terminal slightly. All I can say is WOW! Truck has sat for a week in cold temps (single digits including zero, and it's in the 20's today); after I installed the starter, she fired up in less than two seconds. Oh Ya! I'm glad I went OEM on this one.
Early 1999 F-250 Lariat 4x4 w/7.3L PSD, AT, SC, LB, 315/75/16's on 16x10's, 4" Lift, 4" Exhaust, HPx, Regulated Fuel Return, Hutch/Harpoon, NVK4 PCM, John Wood Valve Body, 6637 w/Pete's Cover, CCV, EBPV Delete, DP-Tuner, IssPro's - 332,000 miles!

Truck Pictures
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Postmaster

bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have a new Mitsubishi starter on mine cause I didn't know any better. That's when I was still shopping prices. I've changed it 3 times now and it seemes like I finally got a good one. First one hung up the first time I tried to start it. Second one would only engage half way and was starting to grind on my fly wheel. This one hasn't missed a beat. Yet! Thankfully they have replaced them for me without any hassle.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Elder User

USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanN View Post
What do you mean "updated"... you mean the later GR starter vs. the older straight-design?
The parts manager at the Ford Dealership called it that.....it looked identical except for one important area.....the solenoid end where the terminals are located. I can tell it's a better design. Mine failed (looked like heat damage) around the large starter cable terminal and allowed the stud to come out. This was on the original factory starter that lasted over 9 years; it was a Visteon gear reduction, not the straight Mitsubishi style.

As I said, the cold soaked truck cranked & started in less than two seconds. WOW!

I tried posting pictures of the new starter last night but it didn't work. I'll try again. Doesn't look like the photos are going to work.....I've added photos on this site.

P1020006.JPG
P1020008.JPG
P1020009.JPG
P1020010.JPG

2002 True Blue F350 Ext Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD SRW LB
Rhino Line; 4" BDS Lift; Bilstein Shocks; Centerline Rims; Racor Ext Fuel/Enviro Bypass Oil/Magnafine Trans Filters; 8 Autometer Cobalt Gauges; AIS; Toyo 315/75R16 ATs; Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Trans & Rear Diff Covers; BTS; ATS: AIH Delete; Spearco CAC; DP Tuning; DI SS Ups

30 Yr USAF Vet

Last edited by USAF CCM; 01-26-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Picture comment
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior User

01EX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF CCM View Post

Yes the Denso in the picture is aftermarket from NATIONAL. You have to talk to ADAM at NAtional . He indicated he could get an OEM NEW Denso for around $320 delivered.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Senior User

deadsenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just got back from a trip, so I missed a few posts here.

Les, I don't see your pics. I would love to see a writeup with pics on that Mean Green starter if you get it.

The way I understood it, if you went to the dealer, the SD got the updated GR starter, but the OBS still gets the smaller Mitsu. You can obviously use whatever one you want. I also called all the auto part chains. I didn't get warm fuzzy feelings about their starters since they couldn't tell me where they were made, but they all had lifetime warranties. The whole point is I don't want to get stranded and have to collect on that warranty.

Powder, it's not that I am mistrustful of Nations, but unless someone validates their genuine Denso, I am initially skeptical.

On this install, I used the only Loctite I could find in my garage that day and it was the stronger primerless red (instead of the medium blue). I am pretty sure that's the stuff I used last time, but since it was a year ago I won't lay any money on it. Those bolts were still tight.

When you use Loctite, (clean the bolts and) make sure it is the type that does not require a primer. There are primerless and primer versions of both colors (and then there's purple, too).

Threadlocking Chemicals | Fastenal

Hope that helps.

EDIT - BTW, DB refunded 80% on the failed starter. After 11 months, I guess I am okay with that.

DS

Reliable | Fast | Cheap -- Pick two.

Join the Warshington FTE Chapter

Last edited by deadsenator; 02-02-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Posting Guru

JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Well guys, the ol' reman finally took a dump on me. But it wasn't just a "got in to go somewhere and never got outta the drive" kinda situation... I fired the truck up at home and drove to Williamsburg to pick up a fridge I found on craigslist. Well as luck would have it, the truck died in HER drive in the middle of WILLIAMSBURG of all places! Pretty sweet publicity to say the least... I tapped and wiggled and twisted and banged until I got it to turn over and then drove it home and parked it.

Today, I put in a BRAND NEW (I will NEVER buy another reman starter again) Ford offset gear-reduction starter and all I can say is WOW!!! So that's what a really good 7.3L start is like!? There is a difference in sound... this one sounds just like the 6.0L starter as well as the starter that's on some of the later 7.3L's. All I can say is I'm EXTREMELY happy! Thanks guys for ALL the info and the part numbers... once again, FTE strikes again!

Early 1999 F-250 Lariat 4x4 w/7.3L PSD, AT, SC, LB, 315/75/16's on 16x10's, 4" Lift, 4" Exhaust, HPx, Regulated Fuel Return, Hutch/Harpoon, NVK4 PCM, John Wood Valve Body, 6637 w/Pete's Cover, CCV, EBPV Delete, DP-Tuner, IssPro's - 332,000 miles!

Truck Pictures
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Elder User

jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a good reputation on FTE.
So where did you pick it up from?

THE BITTER TASTE OF POOR QUALITY LINGERS LONG AFTER THE SWEET TASTE OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Posting Guru

My Dad picked it up from Napa but it was Motorcraft starter... it works REALLY good!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Junior User

blakeusa is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK- after all the confusion what is the best starter- is it the Deno Jap model for $400 bucks...

And is it really worth the $230 difference from a Napa Mitsi rebuild.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM