1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Better Starters

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
What will also make a difference in starting speed is whether or not the starter pinion has 12 or 13 teeth... the 13 tooth version causing the flywheel to spin faster. I know that the DB "Denso-style" units have 13 teeth... not sure about the true Denso models.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
01EX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
What will also make a difference in starting speed is whether or not the starter pinion has 12 or 13 teeth... the 13 tooth version causing the flywheel to spin faster. I know that the DB "Denso-style" units have 13 teeth... not sure about the true Denso models.
The true denso has 13 teeth also.
When it's time to get one, I'm going with the one from National for $320 delivered.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to through this thread off track but, has anybody ever tried a starter from "Quick Start" on line?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Got the new Denso starter. It's appears to be the same size as the DBE Chinese model. 13 teeth, too. The casting looks a bit better and so does the build. It has a Made in Japan heavy green sticker. I'll post pics tomorrow when I have time to do the work of R&Ring the Mitsu unit.

It's the insides that really count though.

If you can get National to deliver it for $320, then that's a bargain. I'll notch this one up to keeping my local guy employed for a few bucks more.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a video and post it up on YouTube... a nice cold start where the battery voltage is a good 11 to 12 volts. I wanna see it!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Take a video and post it up on YouTube... a nice cold start where the battery voltage is a good 11 to 12 volts. I wanna see it!
Hey, you're pretty bossy!

I'll see what I can do.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
lhud
Elder User
That is the one I used sometime last year. The DB starters are basically "knockoffs" and may very well serve a purpose somewhere, but not in my truck that is used for work driving all over the country.
And who knows, this one make conk out on me next week.
Oh well,

Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deadsenator
Hey, you're pretty bossy!

I'll see what I can do.
Oops... sorry. Forgot to add a "would you please" or an "if you don't mind"... brain fart.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
lol, no problem, Jon. I knew you meant it.

The difference in quality is readily apparent. The casting is obviously much better with the Denso. The marks are much more refined and the bolts and coatings are better on the Japanese unit. The solenoid wire is stiffer and the rubber boots seem to be of higher quality. All of this comes at no surprise to me, but I am stating my visual experience for the record.

I just posted a coupla pics to my album. These are just basic pics before I do the install tomorrow. I'll post up a Youtoob vid tomorrow of some starter pr0n.

I'd post them here, but I am a lowly plebeian unpaid member. Shhh....don't tell anyone.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdw1
Not to through this thread off track but, has anybody ever tried a starter from "Quick Start" on line?
Wondering the same thing. I'm looking at their HD alternators.....MADE IN THE USA!!!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by deadsenator
lol, no problem, Jon. I knew you meant it.

The difference in quality is readily apparent. The casting is obviously much better with the Denso. The marks are much more refined and the bolts and coatings are better on the Japanese unit. The solenoid wire is stiffer and the rubber boots seem to be of higher quality. All of this comes at no surprise to me, but I am stating my visual experience for the record.

I just posted a coupla pics to my album. These are just basic pics before I do the install tomorrow. I'll post up a Youtoob vid tomorrow of some starter pr0n.

I'd post them here, but I am a lowly plebeian unpaid member. Shhh....don't tell anyone.
There has been an issue with the Denso high torgue loosening up the 2 bolts later on and the starter getting loose.

Did you consider using lock tight on the bolts?

Since the Denso is much larger(heavier) then the factory it might need some support on the large side.

Is it possiable to put metal stapping on the larger side with a threaded rod attached to metal straping and a support on the engine with a coupler between the threaded rods to tighten up,supporting the larger side.

I don't have the Deso yet(spring time).

It is 0 degrees were I live so I haven't had the chance to look under my truck to see if a support can be tied into the starter to engine.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by USAF CCM
Wondering the same thing. I'm looking at their HD alternators.....MADE IN THE USA!!!!!
I have the HD 140 am on my 02 and use it for plowing snow, so far so good. I am suprised at how cool it runs compared to the stock alternator when plowing. I will be buying more for my other trucks as needed.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Frankly, IF my starter ever goes out, I'm getting an OEM.
It's three bolts, smaller than those boat anchor two bolt starters and a reduction gear drive.
It cranks the engine over very quickly and has done so without fail for the last 12 years and 136,000 miles (so far).
It is not showing any signs of sluggishness nor making any funny noises while in operation.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Frankly, IF my starter ever goes out, I'm getting an OEM.
It's three bolts, smaller than those boat anchor two bolt starters and a reduction gear drive.
It cranks the engine over very quickly and has done so without fail for the last 12 years and 136,000 miles (so far).
It is not showing any signs of sluggishness nor making any funny noises while in operation.

I agree with your logic.

Like alot of us on FTE, we look to what we can make better if is in fact better then factory.

By bouncing the mods off of each other,it helps us determine what works/what needs to be done to make it work.

If you have the 3 hole then you have the Mitsu. gear reduction.

Alot of us have the Ven_ _ _ non gear reduction.

A factory up grade to the Mitsu. is better then the Ven.

It was a strong suggestion by www.nationalautoelectric.com to go with the 3 hole Mitsu. rather then the Denso.They pointed out issues with Denso causing bolts to back out as well as one other FTE who had to drill/tap/helicoil were bolts came loose due to DENSO.

I'm on the fence with Denso or Mitsu. upgrade.

I would prefer to do it once and move onto other maintence items to address. But I have that bug in me to think out of the BOX and the DENSO is tempting that BUG.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdw1
I have the HD 140 am on my 02 and use it for plowing snow, so far so good. I am suprised at how cool it runs compared to the stock alternator when plowing. I will be buying more for my other trucks as needed.
www.natonalautoelectric.com (US) made also? has a upgrade ALT. also.$279
It is a combination of GM/FORD.

Not sure how it compares to what you have/cost but another source.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Starters