1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Good day for blasting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
ct50f1,

When are you going to paint it. Are you going to do anything else to the frame first?
I'm not working this Friday so I hope to get at least the first coat of paint on it then. Since I'm trying to keep the truck original there's not much else I plan to do to the frame. Before I blasted the frame we welded up a couple of extra holes so I have to grind down the weld and smooth things out. Other than that and straightening one of the running board supports I think it's all set.

I've been debating what to use for paint and spent some time searching FTE to see what other people are using. I considered using the epoxy mastic that Bob has recommended but finally decided to use Miracle Paint and Super Chassis Black from Hirsch Automotive. A couple of guys from the Model A club have used it with good results. It's similar to POR 15 but cost about $10 per quart less.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks good Bob. I reclaimed my sand twice-(it's the Scott blood in me) As you already know with all you experience--it's blast with one hand and primer spray gun in the other hand-- one continuous motion. Always enjoy you input.
Mike

Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ross, I've used a lot of Tnemec products in the past and they are good. Did you know tnemec is cement spelled backwards? FWIW

Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ct50f1
We didn't actually use sand. It was a product called Patriot Blast - Slag Abrasive Product. Since the frame wasn't in that bad shape to begin with, we used the fine grit - 4 bags did the job at around $12 per bag.

Regarding safety, the bag contains the following label:
Health Hazard - 0
Specific hazard - 0
Fire Hazard - 0
Reactivity - 0

"Contains 99-100% coal slag. Treat as nuisance dust. Typical free silica is less than 0.1%. This material is not a recognized as carcinogen or cocarcinogen. Mechanical irritation may occur if proper protective equipment is not used."

We didn't try to collect it. Most of it blew away as dust and what was left will be covered by weeds as soon as it gets warm in the spring. I was really surprised how little of it was laying around when we were done. I'm lucky that I have about 2 acres and the building where I work on the truck is far enough away from the house and the neighbors that it wasn't a problem. At least I haven't heard from any of the neighbors yet.
Hmm, good to know. I'll check this stuff out and see where I can get some.

I know that silica sand is bad joo-joo, but I blasted for a few days with it as a kid... No one around to tell me it was a bad idea... and all I had was a wet handkerchief around my mouth!

I've been considering using it again, albeit with a better mask. I figured the side of the house would be nice, because I wanted to lay some sand there anyways to hold the gravel 'stonescape' a little better... lol. Two birds, one stone, and silicosis of the lungs...
But if I do it, it will be rare, ie, once or twice, and I'll point the fan at the Adam Henry -neighbors house.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never stop amazing me how you guy's are doing the stuff I need to know about ...I am getting ready to blast my 54 and have some black sand?that was used on my boat to clean the steel hull...I think it is too course for sheet metal and looking at walnut shell or soda blasting....I have a large pressure pot and a small ,85cfm compressor for light rust is the soda good enough?I have a large area to work in just trying to learn from you experiance..thank's guy's