1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Anyone ever gotten stroked by a mechanic.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 PM
german41274
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever gotten stroked by a mechanic.

I paid a guy $2000 to rebuild my transmission. Long story short, after returning the vehicle for the 4th time and waiting over a month he sent the vehicle to another shop because he couldn't figure out the problem. When the guy repaired the vehicle he told him to contact me for payment.
Do I just have to take this in the rear or can I do anything. Taking him to court won't work because Texas won't police a court ruling. You can basically win in court and still never recieve a dime.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

are you saying you paid the first guy $2000, then he sent it to another shop to fix it right and then charge you again?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by german41274
I paid a guy $2000 to rebuild my transmission. Long story short, after returning the vehicle for the 4th time and waiting over a month he sent the vehicle to another shop because he couldn't figure out the problem. When the guy repaired the vehicle he told him to contact me for payment.
Do I just have to take this in the rear or can I do anything. Taking him to court won't work because Texas won't police a court ruling. You can basically win in court and still never recieve a dime.
Who signed it up for repair at the second shop?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Sounds like some BS to me. Where are you in TX, and what is the shop you are dealing with?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Assemble the Posse!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
german41274
New User
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Sounds like some BS to me. Where are you in TX, and what is the shop you are dealing with?
I'm in San Antonio and the shop is Imperial Transmission. Just for the record, I'm in construction and know all about jobs causing unforseen problems but I have never taken someones money and left them unsatisfied and God willing I never will. This guy has gone way beyond what is even possibly arguablly permisable. The story is long and I hate typing but it amazes me that this guy might think he is in the right.
Long story short. over $2000 paid, 2 months in the shop, rental cars and broken parts that he has broken but not been accountable for and a bill from a different transmission shop and my transmission does't work. It doesn't take a genus to see the problem.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
If he sent it to another shop without your permission, or consent, You are not even responsible for the payment. The deal would have been between him and the other shop, your not even involved then.

There are unfortunately lot of hack mechanics out there. One of the 6.leeker members here in Michigan fell pray to one. 3k to do injectors, head studs and head-gaskets and a few other little things.
Month later, blew injector out the hole and none of them were tightened down.
Cab came back crooked and not right, carpet cut up. Head studs were never torqued properly, he just had to have the heads re-done cause the gaskets blew.

He never got his money back from the other guy and lost more getting it fixed.

I hope you can get this settled. I hate seeing this. I'd rather tear into an automatic and fix it myself with some of the troubles I see people having with getting E4OD's fixed. It's just stupid how bad they screw things up.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your inclined I'm sure there are state and local agencies you could contact to raise heck.
If you do have additional out of pocket expenses first get your truck back then take the guy to small claims court. But if push comes to shove you will likely have to pay what ever monies are owed to reclaim the vehicle.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
02f350gurl
Junior User
Unfortunately you may have to pay to get your car back. =( That's just not right.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go to the first shop and demand my vehicle back - he took it in, he must return it.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So at no point did the original shop call you can tell you that they were taking the truck to another shop??? Thats messed up!!! I'd be ticked that they took it somewhere else without my permission much less think I was going to pay for it!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm in San Antonio and the shop is Imperial Transmission. Just for the record, I'm in construction and know all about jobs causing unforseen problems but I have never taken someones money and left them unsatisfied and God willing I never will. This guy has gone way beyond what is even possibly arguablly permisable. The story is long and I hate typing but it amazes me that this guy might think he is in the right.
Long story short. over $2000 paid, 2 months in the shop, rental cars and broken parts that he has broken but not been accountable for and a bill from a different transmission shop and my transmission does't work. It doesn't take a genus to see the problem.
Here in Michigan , if you did not sign a work order to have your tuck worked on , they cannot collect or prevail in court. If the first mech brought your truck to another shop , he is responsible for the repair bill..

Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dropped my 96 E350 7.3 off to the FORD dealership in mass...Got a Reman E40D put in. Drove it for 2,000 miles and it crapped out...Brought it back had another trans put in under warranty....got another 3,000 out of it...crapped out. Left it for a week while on vacation, picked it up after paying 700 to have it looked at...They never touched the van..So now i have a reman tranny that is no longer warranteed and the dealership went under.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When it came time to potentially rebuild my E4OD I was too dang scared to let anyone do it because of all these stories. Doesn't seem like anyone but the Big 3 can build a quality E4OD. I wanted a 5 speed anyway. Plenty of folks can build them right.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Taking him to court won't work because Texas won't police a court ruling. You can basically win in court and still never recieve a dime.
Sounds bad sorry to hear and yes I was screwed over like that too one time when I was 16 first truck I ever owned 77 f150 I put a Cleveland in it and wasn't satisfied with the power so not knowing any better I got a friend of a friends dads friend who was supposed to be a mechanic to set me up with a RV cam from summit told me he had done it many times so I believed him the jerk ordered the wrong cam with too much lift Installed it then said it was something else then something else ended up selling the truck to him for dirt cheep (remember 16 LOL) he put a new motor in it and was trying to sell it back to me LOL for double I sold it too him for. Never did buy it back but also couldn't do a dam thing.

So I know how you feel hope it all works out for you