1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 E4OD to ZF5 swap questions (NOW COMPLETE)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E4OD to ZF5 swap questions (NOW COMPLETE)

Well I got to say great fourm, I have done alot of reading on this topic, and I have found alot of answers this is basically to clear up a few questions I have.
First off I have a 1997 4x4 ext cab with a powerstroke and a E40D and I want to convert to manual.
I also just bought a 1992 4x4 ext cab with a 7.3 IDI and a 5 speed that I want to use as a donar truck.
What can I not use for this swap from the 1992?
Like Pedals, Drive lines, crossmember, flywheel, clutch, transfercase, transmission harness, shifter, floor piece....
Any help would be great Ii plan on starting the swap tomorrow or wednesday.

Ii also posted this question in another fourm so if that is a no no please let me know.

Also would any one be interested in any parts from the idi, or any of my automatic stuff?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreaseMonky
Well I got to say great fourm, I have done alot of reading on this topic, and I have found alot of answers this is basically to clear up a few questions I have.
First off I have a 1997 4x4 ext cab with a powerstroke and a E40D and I want to convert to manual.
I also just bought a 1992 4x4 ext cab with a 7.3 IDI and a 5 speed that I want to use as a donar truck.
What can I not use for this swap from the 1992?
Like Pedals, Drive lines, crossmember, flywheel, clutch, transfercase, transmission harness, shifter, floor piece....
Any help would be great Ii plan on starting the swap tomorrow or wednesday.

Ii also posted this question in another fourm so if that is a no no please let me know.

Also would any one be interested in any parts from the idi, or any of my automatic stuff?
You should be able to use the crossmember, shifter, and floor pan for sure. The driveshafts should be a direct install if you swap t cases. I wanted to keep my t case which was a different model than the donor so I had to get very mildly creative with the connection and spacing at the DS to t case connection.

Check the engine side of the harness against the engine side of the E4OD harness. If the large pigtail from your auto harness and the manual harness have the same layout then it will work regardless of where the wires are. You may have to jump them around some though to get the lights and a startup. After my swap the reverse lights came on but not the 4x4 lights and it wouldn't start with the key. A little moving around of the wires fixed that all right up.

I want to say that the pedalbox is a bit too early to fit right but am not certain.

As for the flywheel and clutch, I can't answer that. Someone will come along a know though. Good luck. It's a fun swap.

And welcome to FTE!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
The flywheel will not work, the idi crank has a different bolt size and pattern. The clutch might work if the outside dia. of the two flywheels is the same.

Posting the question in another forum is just fine as far as I know!

Good luck with the swap, you will like the 5 speed!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
I guess I didnt really need to ask about the flywheel and clutch I plan on doing a single mass flywheel and a better the oem clutch anyways, I tow alot so I want something that is going to hold up. I also plan on doing some perfromance upgrades as time and money perments.

Is there anythings I should adress while the trans is out besides like maybe the downpipe and such?

how can i find out about the pedals? Should i use my E40D transfercase, or does it matter?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
The 97 should have the 4407 ( I think that is the right no.), and the 92 should have the 1356 transfer case. The main difference is the way the driveshaft hooks to the case. The 1356 will have a slip joint, and the 4407 will be bolted solid to a flange. I would use the 4407.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question! Swaping the zf into my 1997 F-250...The donor truck is a 1993 and it has the switch on the clutch arm that you press the pedal down to start..Is my 1997 already wired for that? Or do i have to run the wires?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Krisx125
Question! Swaping the zf into my 1997 F-250...The donor truck is a 1993 and it has the switch on the clutch arm that you press the pedal down to start..Is my 1997 already wired for that? Or do i have to run the wires?
Are you positive that the 93 pedals fit? I believe I know what you are talking about and I think it is different from what you need. I could be wrong or misunderstanding though.

Either way, our clutch pedal position switch is a springloaded mech that you will connect onto the clutch master cylinder rod inside the cab. When the clutch is pushed in it activates that switch and closes the circuit needed to start the truck. Your truck is already wired for that. There is a pigtail up under your dash plugged into a grey piece with no wires coming out. That piece has the wires in the pigtail permanantly jumped so when your truck is in neutral or park it will crank. Once you buy the appropriate CPP switch and put it on the master cylinder rod you just take that jumper off the harness and plug the harness up to the switch. When you push the clutch from now on it will complete that circuit allowing the truck to start. It also disengages your cruise control when the clutch is pushed while the CC is activated.

I left my jumper in for now because it sure is convenient to just reach in and crank the truck. However, I have no neutral safety and my cruise will not deactivate from the clutch, only the brakes or button. My heim joint mod should be in any day and I'll probably hook the CPP switch back up for safety. When the plastic bushing wears out it is hit or miss if the master cylinder rod will travel far enough to close the circuit.

Clear as mud? Good. Ask again if that's hard to follow. I'm a bit distracted.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Ohhhhh mannnn!!!! 93 pedals might not fit???? LOL I thought from 87-97 all fit..

Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Krisx125
Ohhhhh mannnn!!!! 93 pedals might not fit???? LOL I thought from 87-97 all fit..
No sir. I thought the same and had some 91 pedals. Were nowhere close to fitting. Of course it could have been some weird one of a kind occurence and I could be wrong. I think the cutoff is 92 or 93 but don't know which. It's easy to tell though. Just take the pedalbox and kinda hold it up under your dash to compare. You should be able to tell pretty easy.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
KennyluvshisFord
New User
I have a 97 F350 DRW 2 wheel drive with the 5 speed transmission in it. I would love to have an automatic in it. I didn't think this was possible. I am disabled so I know it is impossible for me to pull off. Maybe we could help each other out if your not a zillion miles from Tulsa Ok?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want to come to Louisiana i would do the swap with you hell i'll do all the work LOL

My trans has 55K miles on it

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Yea im in New Hampshire. Pretty dang far. Plus im 4wd..But if you were close and my tranny would work. Id be more than willing to help ya out!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 AM
KennyluvshisFord
New User
Louisiana wouldn't be bad. But I couldn't let you do that with only 55k on your transmission. My truck has 325,000 on the whole works. I don't haul anything with it, she is strictly a toy and there comes a time when you just wanna throw it in drive and go.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmert
The 97 should have the 4407 ( I think that is the right no.), and the 92 should have the 1356 transfer case. The main difference is the way the driveshaft hooks to the case. The 1356 will have a slip joint, and the 4407 will be bolted solid to a flange. I would use the 4407.
What are the disadvanteges of the 1359, other than the slip yoke?

Can I swap the yoke on the 1992 driveline?

I still need to get a PCM? preferably from a same year truck?

What are good options for clutches?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Well I am going to have to do this swap sooner thenm later, I lost my E4OD last night, it puked all of its fluids out in the middle of the road.

So my biggest questions right now are what are good options for clutch.

What is the difference between the two transfercases? can I swap the yokes on the drive shaft so i dont have to have a drive shaft made?

besides the down pipe anything else i should try and change?

and for sure the pedals from the 1992 wont work? what about pedals from like a 1995 f-150?

what master and slave cylinder do i use?

Quick Reply: 1997 E4OD to ZF5 swap questions (NOW COMPLETE)