Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

You guys don't know what you're missing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
If you use the search function in this forum, you will come up with a similar debate - quite often with more technical info than you saw there...

Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
lvjunior
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry nickfordman I didn't realize that I had singled you out in my post. I also didn't recall saying I had personally been attacked in any way (until now "buddy")

I realize all of these sites are biased thats why I made my post. I am trying to get the Ford owners to tell me what specificaly makes there trucks are so much better than the competition. Any site on the internet is really good at bashing the other brand. I am simply asking for someone to help me decide which truck is worth my $40k+ so that I can make an informed decision.

Since I see that you have posted over 1200 times and like your brand so much, it should be easy for you to give some helpfull information.

P.S. BigF350 have if I have oversteped my bounds or disrespected this forum in any way please let me know

Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lvjunior
P.S. BigF350 have if I have oversteped my bounds or disrespected this forum in any way please let me know
Just watch the language, and referring to all Ford (or any other marque) owners as "un-intelligent" and you will be fine.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:06 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, not me personally, it's just an internet forum. You did accuse us, as a Ford truck community, to not having enough intelligence to help you. I believe this forum, and this whole site, is pretty fair, when considering the rest of the internet garbage out there, I think we can both agree on that.

EDIT: To your question about a truck, IMO, you'd be best to wait until the '07 lines are out. The 6.4L will be introduced, and every other company is rolling out new lines.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 AM
BigGunZ
Senior User
Originally Posted by gt65
You must not be lookin under a lot of hoods or you'd be seein some 3400 series cats. Even MF has some serious Perkins V8s. The sixes are more common though. V8 are much more $$$ to manufacture and a little more complex. Thats the main reason theres more sixes.
Allow me to rephrase...you won't find a Duramax or Powerstroke.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:48 PM
lvjunior
New User
Nick, so that you understand me better. my first car was a mustang I then bought a 1991 mustang GT Built the bageezes out of it (it had 506hp and 720ft/lbs and was my daily driver) My dream vehicle since I got my drivers license was a crewcab 4X4 psd F350 every car my family has ever owned was a ford, and when we go camping our family usually comes with at least 6 ford superduties ranging from 97 to 06.

I love ford trucks and always have but the 6.0 PSD has been so problematic that it has shaken my faith in the powerstroke.

from everything that I have read I have come to the conclusion that to make the perfect truck I would put a cummins I-6 and an allison 6speed auto (I am done with manuals) into a ford chassis.

I am leaning very heavily towards waiting for the 07 6.4tt but it is hard to look at my brand new $35,000 toy hauler sitting on the side of my house with nothing to tow it since my wife totaled my 06 f250

Old 10-15-2005, 03:51 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Well, from what I have heard, the 6.0L from '05 and up has been great. Not sure if you would feel comfortable with it. Why not buy a used 7.3L SD? That solves all your problems right there.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 AM
terrmat
Freshman User
im sorry gmc guy , but your truck sounds like a had one chevy a 98 z71 and I have to say that truck was the biggest piece of ****!!!! ive ever owned.
the seats in the z were like sitting on plywood and the leather quality on the seats was junk. hell, the truck wasnt even true 4 wheel drive, when the back tires started slipping only the passenger front started turning(what a pos in my book!!!)i bought the Z with 35000 miles on it with a 350, and the P.O.S. burnt a quart of oil about every 100 miles or so, and the truck was almost new! im sorry ,but ill own a ford for the rest of my life.

Last edited by BigF350; 10-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:33 AM
roushracing617
Senior User
Thanks for my "Sunday morning funnies", guys!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
royster
New User
UpDate:

GMC and Chevrolet truck sales together are well behind Ford in number of trucks sold.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lvjunior
well polarbear i appreciate our response. finally got through all the posts on this topic and it is nice to see there is someone that can speak with some inteligence. I was begining to think there where no inteligent ford owners after the crap I have seen in the last 13 pages. it seems most of them just say ford is better everyone else sucks with out any facts or web sites to back up there claims.

I am seeing 10 or more really nice 2005 psd 4x4s on the dealerships lots around here (which is concerning since fords rule around here and a 97 in half decent shape is still pullin $19k) have you heard any thing that would explain the large amount of used 2005's . like I said I loved my 2006 and towed at #11,950 on the bumper with no problems.
One of the obvious reasons you see so many used '05 PSD's is that they bring the world for trade-in values. An owner could trade into a '06 for relatively little difference- or change in payment, which is what it really boils down to generally. Back when Suburbans were hot merchandise, I bought the missus 6 new Suburbans over an 8 year period. Why? Because you could put 9-12,000 miles on them and get all of your money back. Why not?

Today, that same Suburban will take a $15-$20,000 hit in a year. You don't see many folks trading them frequently with those kind of numbers.

Back to the trucks- I really don't know where you're coming from, but folks with $40-$50 large to spend on a vehicle generally don't need a lot of help or advice doing it. They've typically made their minds up which direction they want to go. I will say this- if you buy a nicely equipped SD and change your mind next year when you see the '07's (or the new Silverado), it probably won't cost much to change directions (that was my bet, anyway- and I'm in the biz). Buy a Silverado or a Dodge right now, though, and you're pretty much committed for awhile.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
do you really think that the 6.0 will hold it's value very long after the new 6.4 TT come out? i mean the reason the 7.3 has such good resale value is because of the 6.0's bad reputation.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
dvsing
New User
I'm actually thinking of picking up a duramax when GM has it's going out of bussiness sale.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:52 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I do- the 7.3's bring more money than 6.0's- but in the '03 model year only, and the money's not that big a difference. By the time you get to '04, it's not true anymore. Actually, the 6.0 doesn't have that bad a rep- there are a lot of folks out there that have had zero problems with them, and the tranny behind them is superior to the Automatic behind the 7.3.

The history of Ford bodystyle changes is that the prior style- whatever that was- will hold up well as many truck owners don't do change well. The 6.4 will have to prove itself, and we'll hope we don't see the teething problems we had with the 6.0.

I'm another one that subscribes to the "Cummins diesel reliability as urban legend" school of thought. The earlier ones were great, but the newer ones that we've gotten in trade have much of the same issues the early 6.0's did. Oddly, the D-max's have really been the reliability star of the group.

Quick Reply: You guys don't know what you're missing.