by Adrian Harris
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 x 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 or 2003 7.3l Powerstroke Diesel truck
17 quarts of 15w40 Royal Purple Synthetic oil (colder climates may want 10w40)
1 x oil filter
1 x oil filter wrench
1 x breaker bar
1 x 5/8" socket
1 x oil drain pan
2 x wheel chocks
1 x brass oil crush washer
1 x Oil Filter (Motorcraft part # Fl-1995)
4 x used Plastic shopping bags
Optional: Floor creeper
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Let engine run till it is warm (go down to the store and back) – this lets the oil get hot and makes the procedure much quicker.
2. Park vehicle on flat, level surface.
3. Place vehicle handbrake on.
4. Place vehicle in Park, or 1st gear for a manual.
5. Lift hood of vehicle.
6. Place wheel chocks, one in front of a rear wheel and one behind the same rear wheel
7. One of the best things about our trucks is that you don’t have to lift them to work underneath them!
8. Safety first! Put on gloves and safety glasses (used motor oil is a known carcinogenic, and it is strongly recommended that your skin does not come in contact with it).
9. Slide underneath vehicle. (Use floor creeper.)
10. Place paper down around oil drain plug at rear of engine.
11. Place oil drain pan underneath oil drain plug.
12. Place 5/8th socket on drain plug.
13. SLOWLY undo drain plug, and remove completely. Do not loose brass crush washer on plug.
14. Allow oil to drain completely.
15. Place oil drain plug back on – ensure that brass washer that was on oil drain plug is back on (preferably replace washer with a new washer).
16. Place paper underneath oil filter at front of engine.
17. Place oil drain pan underneath oil filter.
18. Place oil filter wrench around the oil filter and SLOWLY undo filter.
19. Allow oil to drain from filter.
20. Place oil filter in a plastic shopping bag.
21. Fill new oil filter ¾ full with new oil (allow the oil to absorb into the walls of the oil filter before measuring).
22. Poor a small amount of oil on the seal and rub it around – this helps seal the oil filter onto its mount.
23. Place new oil filter onto its mount – and do up carefully. Do up until just the point that the oil filter cannot be undone by one hand. Be careful not to crush new oil filter as you tighten it.
24. Pour 13 quarts of new oil in.
25. Check oil level with dipstick.
26. If below bottom, continue filling slowly, regularly checking oil level.
27. Once oil is halfway between the bottom marker, and the top, stop filling.
28. Clean up excess oil on ground with paper.
29. Dispose of paper, oil containers and oil in an environmentally friendly fashion.